Zerobricks

COPPA and Technic Youtube creators

On 11/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, allanp said:

This is all about data protection after all so if there's no data to protect there's no problem. But no, the billions they make in creaming off the top of ad revenues isn't enough, they want their extra data cash so screw the creators that create the content that advertiser's want to advertise on.

Very nicely phrased. This is exactly what this whole shi*t is about.

Nevertheless: Have all a very nice day!

Best
Thorsten

On 11/15/2019 at 5:43 PM, Didumos69 said:

Just read the whole thread. Now what should I do, target kids or not?

I do not intend to make money with my channel.

Move to another platform?

I mean, if we all hate YouTube, and we mean it, we should all leave the platform. Don't stay on a platform you hate.

Remember: if you don't pay for a product, you are the product. Google is a company, and by extension Youtube is a platform, whose main business is to sell people's attention to ad companies so they in turn can sell us more crap noone needs but will destroy our climate.

I'm considering deleting my videos and finding another place for them. Any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'm considering deleting my videos and finding another place for them. Any suggestions?

I pay for Vimeo for business to host work-related videos.  Their claims on privacy and selling data are better than Google's.

As you said, many 'free' services are imposing costs in other ways, either directly on the user by harvesting data, or to society (negativity externalities in economics speak).

That said, I haven't quit watching YouTube yet. :ugh:

Edited by andythenorth

I uploaded a video today on this forum without clicking the Coppa box so is just a USA requirement?

I clicked unlisted as usual and embedded to file.

Edited by Doug72

This is all quite the clusterfuck, all due to youtube throwing their content creators under the buss after they got caught with their arms up to their elbows in the cookie jar.

I am not a US citizen, nor am i a content creator on youtube, but the conclusion i arrived at after watching Yangs video on the subject is that anyone even remotely touching on anything toy-like should mark their video as "for kids", or risk a youtube ban and/or getting sued by the FTC, which given the fines mentioned could be a life-wrecking event. From my point of view, this will pretty much wipe the lego community off of youtube, as will many other hobbies, gaming will surely be impacted, and any light popular entertainment or basic science-shows are a goner too.

I think the only reasonable response here is to move to a different platform, youtube was being scummy and is now passing the bill to its users, making life very hard on therm. I think it is time to move to another platform, and find another way of sustaining content creators.

Moving away from youtube is going to suck, but i think communities like ours can do it, the AFOL community already has plenty of bespoke infrastructure such as bricklink, brickset and brickshelf. I do realize hosting a video platform is on a whole new level in terms of hardware and bandwidth, so maybe brickfilms.net isnt quite here yet, but moving most of the content over to a platform like vimeo is definitely possible if the will is there.

Vimeo also has a standard account. I know that this is nothing for power users like so many here on EB. However, I have 5 (maybe 10) videos on YT - nothing special, no red-hot stuff at all. They are out there though. I am considering deleting my YT account and move on to vimeo.

Best
Thorsten

11 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Move to another platform?

I mean, if we all hate YouTube, and we mean it, we should all leave the platform. Don't stay on a platform you hate.

Remember: if you don't pay for a product, you are the product. Google is a company, and by extension Youtube is a platform, whose main business is to sell people's attention to ad companies so they in turn can sell us more crap noone needs but will destroy our climate.

This.

I don't make videos but if I did, I wouldn't use Youtube as a platform for it, especially in the light of these new rules. While I don't think US laws don't apply at all where I live and therefore wouldn't need to fear the fines, Youtube's behavior regarding this law is unacceptable and I don't want to support that.

As @vectormatic said, if this law actually applies as is feared here, it will surely destroy Youtube as a platform for anything remotely child-oriented. No content creator is willing to risk said fines, but without community engagement there's no point in making the videos at all.

Well, embedded YouTube video's on forums like this would still create a community, but on YouTube itself, it is very, very dead with no links and comments. Pretty much making YouTube a 100% video hosting provider and nothing else. Forums could thrive on this, but randoms asking questions or getting here through a link under the video will be over.

Changing to a different platform might work for exposure, but it could also be that YouTube by now is simply "too big to avoid". Will have to wait and see if another platform steps up/more communities flock to than just AFOLs and becomes as mainstream as YouTube is now. 

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Uploading using Flickr works OK.

Video playback on Flickr can be chunky monkey to being unwatchable.   It doesn't stream well.

I changed my YT channel to kiddies.  I use YT to host the video and link in forums.  I don't really bother with YT comments.

45 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

I changed my YT channel to kiddies.  I use YT to host the video and link in forums.  I don't really bother with YT comments.

me too

But where is the option to set the channel as "for kids"? I see there is the option for every single video, but not for the channel.

May be not so relevant for this discussion but if Youtube does this how about other sharing media like Facebook, Flickr and even Eurobricks. I see no option there (yet)?
So uploading the video to Youtube and sharing somewhere just shifts the 'problem' somewhere else where no measures have been taken yet. What will happen in the future?

Also, Youtube is gathering data of visiting children for commercial purposes, not (us) creators!
Sure, if you choose to monetize the videos you are also a commercial partner so I understand disabling of targeted commercials.
But why disabling emailing on new content and disabling comments? Just don't allow Youtube accounts under age 13, without an account a subscription or comment is not possible.
So I think Youtube is unnecessarily choosing the bumpy road or is just provoking to see how things develop until end of this year.

That said, it doesn't bother me that much with only 1600 subscribers, for me it's hobby, not income. I can also use other channels for comments but it is unfortunate that no emails are sent out to the subscribers on publishing a video.

Edited by Berthil
typos

1 minute ago, Berthil said:

May be not so relevant for this discussion but if Youtube does this how about other sharing media like Facebook, Flickr and even Eurobricks. I see no option there (yet)?

1 minute ago, Berthil said:

Just don't allow Youtube accounts under age 13

Pretty sure this forum or at least alot of forums in general have a button you need tick to claim you are over 13 when making an account, so not likely it will pop up here. I also wonder what Facebook will do.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

this vid is in german but it should help with pictures

Thank you!

As I see it, I have to place all of my videos as private and ask users to use some kind of overlay platform if they want to add comments (I saw GAB made such a platform some time ago, but apparently it is being used mainly for political extremism. I hope to find a more children-friendly platform)

It is a shame that they wanted to profit on illegally mining information from minors. And again they seem to do everything in their power to take the "you" out of "youtube".

11 hours ago, howitzer said:

As @vectormatic said, if this law actually applies as is feared here, it will surely destroy Youtube as a platform for anything remotely child-oriented. No content creator is willing to risk said fines, but without community engagement there's no point in making the videos at all.

Yeah I was thinking about this the other day. Where’s the incentive to run an un-monetised kids’ channel?? I’m kinda looking forward to that aspect at least.

Hello, holy crap out here about YT

An other Video channel is " DailyMotion " , but there is also US partly inside .

The next Problem : Nobody knows this channel .

On YT my Vids get worldwide views , many adult people came to Lego just about a Video they look accidental . The AFOL Community will no more grow , and Lego will be degrated as " only for children "

An other viewing side : What is about when i take my channel "just made for children " and Coppa find : You get so hard technical stuff , thats definatly " not only made for children" and restrikt me because wrong decleration ??

10 hours ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

You get so hard technical stuff , thats definatly " not only made for children" and restrikt me because wrong decleration ??

if you are making an " How to build an working H-bomb out of a lego Princess Set", iam sure not the FTC is knocking on your door.

Just read the updated help on this

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9527654?hl=en

"But in most cases, we’ll rely on your audience setting to determine whether a video is made for kids."

Just wait for news from google and ftc. I do not think the AFOL content on youtube will diseapear in youtube kids.

The toy is even not in the list of the FTC https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children

The Rule sets out additional factors the FTC will consider in determining whether your content is child-directed:

• the subject matter,
  • visual content,
  • the use of animated characters or child-oriented activities and incentives,
  • the kind of music or other audio content,
  • the age of models,
  • the presence of child celebrities or celebrities who appeal to children,
  • language or other characteristics of the site,
  • whether advertising that promotes or appears on the site is directed to children, and
  • competent and reliable empirical evidence about the age of the audience.

•  

I personnaly made my video for teenager and adult and set to "not directed to child" and wait for news if I have to change. I do not say that the youtube bot will not decide for us but certainly not get a fine for this. As it is written

If you've already set your audience for your video and YouTube detects error or abuse, you will see your video marked as “Made for kids - Set by YouTube". You won't be able to change your audience setting. If you disagree, you can use the "Send Feedback" button.

1. On a computer, go to studio.youtube.com.
  2. Go to Videos.
  3. Click the video you’d like to send feedback on.
  4. Click Send feedback.

If youtube choose to put you on youtube kids, you can not change it, juste use the "send feedback" button, which is obviously useless.

PS : always wait for youtube news and expert opinions, before taking action. I have seen a lot of video of closing channel in youtube and this is too bad (I have learn that from 12 years on youtube and many similar law over the years).

Edited by nico71

Some interesting points, my intention by sharing is not to generate negative mood, but worth watch and think about.

Prologue:

Edited by agrof

Interesting. But man... I hardly can bear his screaming.

Btw... when did they change their old motto "Don't be evil"?

Edited by Andman