Zerobricks

COPPA and Technic Youtube creators

Not sure if this is a correct place, so apologies in advance.

As a Youtube creator who builds and uploads MOCs made from Lego Technic, how can I decide if my videos are targeting kids?

I'm a bit perplexed, since technically looking, yes kids do watch my videos, but my models are not targeting them, since they are gerneally not simple lego set reviews, but a few steps above that.

In my interpetation, if I made a video like 42100 review, it would be marketed for kids, even though 42100 is 16+, I'm stil reviewing a toy.

But if I build a custom, complicated model from Lego pieces, and make a video which is clearly made for more mature audiences, is it sill targetting kids?

Also, I noticed the YT's own algorithm tagged most of my vidoes containing LEGO in the headline as for kids...

What is your opinion, fellow members? The way things are going with YouTube and politics lately I'm thinking of just leavening it...

I think the Youtube's FAQ covers it up pretty well (I don't remebmer where I found it, but I maybe from the email somewhere).

And according to that, your (and generally all of our) videos are not targeting kids. This doesn't mean it's these videos are 18+, just that these videos don't need "special" treatment (no Ads, no monetization(?), etc).

I applied "I never make videos for kids" or something globally on my channel.

(I have to admit, I was looking after my child so I didn't read all the text that carefully...)

1 minute ago, Lipko said:

I think the Youtube's FAQ covers it up pretty well (I don't remebmer where I found it, but I maybe from the email somewhere).

And according to that, your (and generally all of our) videos are not targeting kids. This doesn't mean it's these videos are 18+, just that these videos don't need "special" treatment (no Ads, no monetization(?), etc).

I applied "I never make videos for kids" or something globally on my channel.

(I have to admit, I was looking after my child so I didn't read all the text that carefully...)

Problem I see is, that, yes you marked channel is not targting kids. BUT if a third party person checks and intereperts your video a indeed targeting for kids, you can be fined with like 42.000$. And a lot of MOC videos can be seen as targeting kids from a unknowing observer.

I'm not really understanding what outcome you're trying to get from this

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Problem I see is, that, yes you marked channel is not targting kids. BUT if a third party person checks and intereperts your video a indeed targeting for kids, you can be fined with like 42.000$.

I don't think Lego videos are at any risk of landing a fine to be honest. I wouldn't even consider worrying about it

I face the same question. I am afraid that the Google algorithms will automatically tag anything with LEGO in the video as aimed for kids, no matter how complex or big the build is.

If I look at the stuff my kids watch, LEGO-related videos are even the most kid-related videos TBH. Stuff like how to make your own sword out of iron ore is strangely popular with them as well... So if the boundary is going to be drawn somewhere there than LEGO related stuff will definitely fall within the 'targeted for kids' arena I would expect.

@Lipko: It is not that simple I am afraid. YouTube threatens with penalties if you mislabel your videos.

For me it is not clear what the consequences are when you do label your videos as targeted for kids. What will change?

8 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Problem I see is, that, yes you marked channel is not targting kids. BUT if a third party person checks and intereperts your video a indeed targeting for kids, you can be fined with like 42.000$. And a lot of MOC videos can be seen as targeting kids from a unknowing observer.

Are you sure it's not the other way round? Marking videos "for kids" and having content that is really not approptiate for kids

(that's just a guess, and I also guess that this law tries to protect kids)

EDIT: hopefully Lego content is widespread enough to have a clearer statement from youtube on this Lego topic.

Edited by Lipko

Just now, Lipko said:

Are you sure it's not the other way round? Marking videos "for kids" and having content that is really not approptiate for kids

(that's just a guess, and I also guess that this law tries to protect kids)

Nope, I also read it that if you put up a video that you say is not targeted to kids, but YT decides it is targeted for kids anyhow, than you can be fined.

13 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Also, I noticed the YT's own algorithm tagged most of my vidoes containing LEGO in the headline as for kids...

Where can you see that?

5 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Nope, I also read it that if you put up a video that you say is not targeted to kids, but YT decides it is targeted for kids anyhow, than you can be fined.

Where can you see that?

That's pretty stupid from their side. I mean I'm safer if I set my vide for kids even if I shake my dick on the tube?

3 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Where can you see that?

In the Youtube Studio

25 minutes ago, Lipko said:

I mean I'm safer if I set my vide for kids even if I shake my dick on the tube?

haha!...um, not funny...hehe.

I don't think this is about protecting children from seeing obscene stuff. This seems to be about protecting themselves in that the law states that they cannot target or gather information on children under 13. So better to be safe than sorry. but this could ultimately de-monetise youtube for uploaders if I got it right.

Yup, I read some stuff, so now it seems it's the opposite what I wrote in my first stuff. We ALL make videos for kids.

I'll set that one then. I never made a buck and no one looks at my videos anyway, but for the rest of you, you are pretty much screwed...

Edited by Lipko

What would be interresting is, when a video or channel is marked as for kids, is it only visible on a kids section or does it has only an effect on advertising?

3 minutes ago, efferman said:

What would be interresting is, when a video or channel is marked as for kids, is it only visible on a kids section or does it has only an effect on advertising?

I've seen YT adverts for sites that ply the same sort of colour-projectile vomit "for kids" shite that's on YT. Not naming any, but I'd say there is an effect on advertising as well, especially if the CPVS involves brands.

If it only has an effect on advertising it would not be a problem for me because my videos are not monetarized.

10 minutes ago, efferman said:

It will affect advertising - specifically, no personalized ads, since not collecting personal browsing info of children is the real issue. This will change the type of advertising on kids videos and almost certainly cut revenues. It will also disable certain features, like comments if I understand it properly. It looks like a big mess to me. I feel for those of you who post lots of vids.

2 minutes ago, efferman said:

If it only has an effect on advertising it would not be a problem for me because my videos are not monetarized.

Doesn't matter if you are monetized or not, ads can still play during your video. And those have to comply. Ads may start to play with your videos if one of them has a copyright srike.

What I don't get, why will YT override the intention of the author? If our LEGO videos are judged by author not children friendly (whatever if by complexity or by the way of presentation, even if they were made to earn money), than just set it like that, and will be not listed for youngsters. If videos with ads must not shown to children, than better to write the algorithm like it will not pop up non-kid friendly videos in the recommendations. That's it. In my opinion YT brought the advertising scheme and mode in the platform, they must solve this.

BTW, is this regulated by international law, or how does it effect in EU (or even in each country)?

There must be a simple overview, I am not a lawyer, not interested to be one, so... 

Edited by agrof

2 minutes ago, agrof said:

BTW, is this regulated by international law, or how does it effect in EU (or even in each country)?

There must be a simple overview, I am not a lawyer, not interested to be one, so... 

Youtube is based in US, they have to apply to US law. Everyone uploads to YT from entire world, so they have to follow that law.

3 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Youtube is based in US, they have to apply to US law. Everyone uploads to YT from entire world, so they have to follow that law.

I think, this is not easy like that. I am not an expert by any means, but pretty sure, there must be some twists in the story. See the torrent sharing sites and users situation is also very mixed.

Edited by agrof

Just now, agrof said:

I think, this is not easy like that. I am not an expert by any means, but pretty sure, there must be some twists in the story. See the torrent sharing sites and users situation is also very mixed.

Please see this video where it's stated:

11 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Doesn't matter if you are monetized or not, ads can still play during your video

Doesnt seen an ad in my videos for years. Not enough hits?

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Please see this video where it's stated:

Sure they state this, what else would they communicate? But how does this apply in the real world? That is my question.

21 minutes ago, efferman said:

I think to have advertising on a video, either monetarization is enabled or the contect contains copyright content (if discovered by youtube). In the later case, AFAIK the money goes to the copyright owner, but surely not for the uploader of the video.

6 minutes ago, Lipko said:

I think to have advertising on a video, either monetarization is enabled or the contect contains copyright content (if discovered by youtube). In the later case, AFAIK the money goes to the copyright owner, but surely not for the uploader of the video.

as far as i know this coppa has nothing to do with copyrights. Beside of that, my videos doesnt have any material of other people or companys. Only Lego can say: You are using Lego in your videos. Pay me for it: