Beck

[MOC] SBB LRZ

For this year's OcTRAINtober challenge I decided to build a single unit of SBB’s firefighting train. Given the time constraints of the challenge, I knew that I would only be able to complete one unit of the LRZ consist. Therefore, I chose the largest unit with a water cannon. I would need the space to house, the battery/receiver, pump, water tank, drive motor, and cannon rotation mechanism. I began the design in LDD and quickly drafted the frame, cab and container. This gave me a rough idea of the space I had to work with. I tried to position the pump motor as low as possible to allow for the maximum amount of height for the cylinder. Since there was only one option for the drive motor placement and cabin space was already limited, the placement of the cannon rotation mechanism and drive motor had to be placed in the container. Due to the vertical distances between the cannon rotation motor and cabin, I opted to use a pulley system because the string could be guided through a series of holes to account for the vertical displacement. When I eventually started building the model IRL, I encountered some unexpected setbacks; namely two parts I had used did not exist in the colors I had used in LDD. This required some time to redesign. In addition to a bricklink kerfuffle, I had lost valuable time to complete the model. Again, due to the limited time, I prioritized functionality over aesthetics and realism. Although the model is less detailed than I would like it to be, pleased with the progress I made in just over one month.

SBB LRZ - 1SBB LRZ - 2

Note:
The train is not specifically based on either the Xtmas 99 or Xtmas 80, rather a blend of the two.  

Information/Scale Drawing:

https://company.sbb.ch/en/the-company/responsibility-society-environment/customers/sbb-and-safety/intervention.html

SBB LRZ - 3

VIDEO: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152818020@N02/49058471766/in/photostream/

11 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Take that to shows for the kids with touchy hands! Brilliant.

I'm not sure how parents would react to their kid being squirted lol but this would be awesome to pull up and squirt lol

Well done @Beck great engineering!

14 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow real water with electric control ...this project blow my mind! :wub::thumbup:

13 hours ago, Thai bricks said:

Very nice.:thumbup:

Just now, Asper said:

Wonderful! Great idea!

Thank you!

11 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Take that to shows for the kids with touchy hands! Brilliant.

36 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I'm not sure how parents would react to their kid being squirted lol but this would be awesome to pull up and squirt lol

Well done @Beck great engineering!

Hilarious idea! Although I am not really apart of any LUG, I'd be happy to share the LXF if someone else wants to take this to a show.

18 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Excellent model indeed. It might have some issues with R40 curves though :)

I'm well aware of this problem; pretty much everything I make has some sort of issue with R40s.

Very nice. Love the function.  It could be fun to put tea light candles around the layout and make it an interactive game to extinguish them.  You should take it to a show.  I made a non-functional one years ago and kids did like fire rescue trains.  :classic: