Murdoch17

My Dad's realistic XXL Grain Elevator - finished 1/24/2020

While I was at my dad's house yesterday, I took some pictures of his just-finished grain elevator model with a rake of four set 4536's (Blue Hopper Car) and my Bluebonnet Santa Fe F7 diesel A & B units. (Full disclosure: He originally was inspired by these instructions I suggested to him for the grain elevator not long after creating this topic.)

49439719543_58abab230f_z.jpg

He just took the basic concept / look and RAN with it, making it much stronger and more modular than before. This modular format makes it easier to store in a custom wooden box like the ones behind the Grain Elevator. Inside these boxes is where he stores his modular buildings / train tunnel.

49439719663_9a8b9f8bed_z.jpg

The American flag addition to the building's design was my @Roadmonkeytj's idea, and was relayed by me to my dad for building. It is seen on both sides of the building.

49440193046_6cec254fcf_z.jpg

My dad revised majorly the shed where the hopper cars dump their grain load, making it much stronger in the process.

49439719613_47d5a030cf_z.jpg

This was entirely of my dad's idea: this four-point joint makes transportation easier, leaving the elevator building section on a 32 x 32, and most of the grain storage blocks on a 16 x 32 size base-plate. Pretty cool, huh?

82ed3d899c7f2d8366a478a226a8fc80.jpg

The model was inspired to-be-built by the Alton, Illinois, riverfront grain elevator, as seen above. Unfortunately, the letters were not a possibility due to not having enough silos / base-plate space to spell it all out.

As usual, comments, questions and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

15 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I feel like you should make the silos wider ... And add this treatment!

SNIP

Well, @Roadmonkeytj I tried to add the flag, but on both sides, and inspired by set 10042 from 2003.

10042-1.jpg?200306040541

See the first post for how it looks now. (I also recolored the model to mostly white, as it looks better that way, plus it's cheaper by quite a bit.)

Edited by Murdoch17

My father's grain elevator is done, and he asked me to post it on the relevant sites. See the first post for more details.

49439719543_58abab230f_z.jpg

Here we see Santa Fe 327 A & B units hooking up to an empty grain hopper train for the long journey back to the line-side farmer co-ops of Kansas, Nebraska, or elsewhere in the grain -growing portions of the country.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:34 PM, sed6 said:

Very nice! I grew up in the burbs of west St.Louis, Chesterfield specifically. Been over to Alton many times. You're welcome to copy or modify my semi if you like. 

https://bricksafe.com/pages/sed6/lego-intermodal-shipping-container-crane-and-truck

Thanks for the link @sed6! I grew up in Saint Charles, and used to go over to Alton on the way to the apple picking farms way over in Illinois when I was little. Seeing these grain silos always made me think I was almost there!

On 11/14/2019 at 3:51 AM, Man with a hat said:

Nice! Instantly recognisable.

And realistically it should be even bigger :wink:.

Have you seen the first post recently, @Man with a hat ? Because it got a whole lot bigger since the last time you saw it!

23 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Wow...that's massive! *oh2*

Thanks @Pdaitabird!:thumbup:

I think it looks great well done ... Like how the silio link together.  I've driven past this bin many a time on my way through StLouie lol

Nice job on the grain elevator! The scale and attention to detail are spot on. The train in the photo looks great also. I live in St Charles and have driven by this area many times. It's cool to see more structures like this being built in LEGO.:thumbup: