Sign in to follow this  
Lego David

Review the LEGO Set Above You!

Started off strong and is still pretty good today. Introduces fantastic new molds and when doing licence themes can give us some great characters we would never see in a set. Lots of times the figures are the some of the best of the year. Albus Dumbledore, Homer Simpson, Dorthy Gale have all been some of the best. Sadly usually a series a year is mostly filler and we definitely get a lot of useless characters who are way too similar to previous ones. We also get some really unnecessary series which could have been replaced by simple normal series. Series 2 of The Simpsons and Lego Batman Movie are great examples of a useless wave. But they are still great figures in here and are always a joy to buy at a store and see who you get, unless you use the feel technique of course. 

7/10

Indiana Jones

Honestly one of my favourite themes. And one of the reasons I got back in to LEGO back in 2008. We got a good selection of sets and minifigures. There were a lot of standout sets. The Truck Chase from Raiders. The Venice Canal set, the Mine cart chase from Temple. Plus the video game. My only criticism is that we didn’t get enough! Which is why I’m hoping when the new film comes out things like the Circus Train and Grail Temple are made into sets. 

10/10

Architecture 

Architecture had strange beginnings with the Sears Tower and John Hancock building sets, but came into its own with a range of high-quality products based on high-quality architecture, from Chicago to London to South Korea.

Unfortunately, the recent focus on skyline sets has taken the focus away from the origins of the theme, but perhaps the new Empire State Building represents a return to form.

7/10

Next up: Homemaker

So, the rules are simple: Just look at the set that that the user above you has posted and give your quick thoughts along with a final out of ten score. It can be any set, from any year, or any LEGO theme, it doesn't matter. After you gave your thoughts, post the next set for the next user to review.

I'll start:

Give your thoughts on this set:

8634-1.jpg?200805110904

That's an easy one because I own one. The car is a pretty cool build, unusually huge (8-wide) for the period it was introduced. I can see some play value in it, however honestly I wish they did something more than just gates, or better yet, used the parts to build the helicopter decently. It looks like half of the helicopter and it feels like one when assembled. Overall, can be good for young ones. For adults - not so much apart from getting the high profile tires, I don't really see any value. It was a gift and a kind of set I wouldn't think of buying for myself, but after building it I can say it's slightly better than it looks on the picture.

5972-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

Easily one of my favorite Space Police sets! I've wanted that set ever since it came out, and I still want it to this day. It looks like a very fitting vehicle for a space gang, with it's very villainous mad-max look. The container opening with the laser also seems like a very fun gimmick! Overall, very creative and well designed set, it's easily a 10/10 from me!

Next Set:

7644-1.jpg?200805090103

Edited by Lego David