Darnok

[BTSC] BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619

BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619

Hello and welcome friends of ballshaped entertainment, to this years soccer cup, brought to you by the WTC straight from Mesabi Landing! Winning last years glorious tournament in Bastion, the Red Rogues earned the right to bring this years event to Argentia. With the year 619 starting with destruction and drama, followed by slow bureaucracy later on, for the longest time it was unclear if the event would even be hosted, but now the ball will finally be rolling.

Mesabi Landing and the WTC are proud to host the BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619!

1. Timeframe

1. You can sign up for the tournament until the 9th of December.
  2. Games start on 9th of December, with the tournament setup depending on participation numbers.
  3. If a group stage is necessary, it will run until the 21st, followed by a knockout stage in the first week of January (holiday season from 22nd of December to 6th of January will be free of games!).
  4. In case of less than nine participants there will be no group stage. If necessary, NPC teams will join to bring the number of teams up to 8.

2. Participation Rules

1. The only requirement to participate in the tournament is a players declaration to do so, combined with one or more picture(s) of „his team“ plus a short background story for it. One team per player only this year!
  2. This declaration happens as a thread of its own (preferably with the tag [BTSC 619] in the thread title) which is linked to in a post in this thread.
  3. A player has to be part of the BotBS game before the tournament itself starts (i.e. 9th of December 2019). Signing up is easy!
  4. The picture(s) of the team require enough minifigs for a legal soccer team, i.e. eleven players including a goalkeeper, plus one trainer (usually a figbarf of twelve minifigs). A unifying colour scheme is welcome but not necessary. See below for some comments!
  5. The background story of the team has to include the team name as well as the name of the trainer and at least two of its players. More background is welcome (and makes writing the game reports easier) but not necessary.
  6. Since this year each team has values affecting its ingame performance, each participant can decide to either choose these values or let them be determined randomly. This can be done until 9th of December (so not necessarily when posting your thread initially, but later on). The details are covered in the rules below under „Team Stats“.
  7. While no additional builds are required to participate, each player can earn a bonus for the team by building and licensing a property in the settlement of Mesabi Landing before the tournament starts (i.e. 9th of December 2019). Again, the details for this are covered in the rules below under „Team Stats“.

If you are looking for examples of previous teams: you can find plenty in the threads for the 617 event in Trador as well as the 618 event in Bastion. If you do not have the minifig parts to equip a whole team at once, you could use the ones you have spread over multiple pictures, changing as little as the heads - using multiple pictures to get the team numbers required. The team also does not have to be uniform at all. Finally: creative solutions are just as fine!

3. Rewards

1. Each participating team earns its player 25 DBs, regardless of outcome in the tournament.
  2. All builds licensed in Mesabi Landing to gain a bonus are compensated in their license cost by the WTC.
  3. The overall winning team earns its player 250 DBs, and the right to host next years Soccer Cup!
  4. The overall best team presentation earns its player 100 DBs.
  5. The best build to gain a bonus will earn its player 100 DBs.

4. Gameplay Rules

This is quite some content, beware:

Spoiler

Team Stats

Each team has three values attached to it, one each for Attack (A), Midfield (M) and Defense (D). These values are numbers ranging from 0 to 5, and normally add up to 9 (so A+M+D=9).

Whenever a team has to make a roll, the corresponding value is added to it. So for example a team playing on Attack would add its (A) value to all its rolls; at the same time the other team would be playing on Defense and add its (D) value to all its rolls. The full details are explained further below under „Turn Sequence“.

The Team Stats are either decided by its player, in which case it is done so on or before the 9th of December in the thread declaring the teams participation. Alternatively, a player can decide to let the Team Stats be decided randomly. Both versions are eligible for a bonus as described below.

In all following examples the two teams are called Red and Blue, with Red having A(4), M(4), D(1) and Blue having A(3), M(1), D(5).

Gaining a bonus

A player can claim a bonus on the team stats the following way:

1. A build set in Mesabi Landing is shown in the thread that declared the corresponding teams participation in the tournament.

2. This build should show the team in some form of activity in the settlement, while at the same time must be licensable under the EGS rules.

3. The build can be of any type other than fortification.

4. The build is either licensed by the player, or the player sells the right to license the build to the WTC for 100% of the license cost, on or before the 9th of December.

5. If the build either has been licensed or the right to license has been sold, the player can claim a bonus on the team stats of his team depending on the size of the build.

6. A small build gives a +1 bonus on any one value.

7. A medium build gives a +2 bonus on any one value or +1 bonus on any two values.

8. A large build gives a +2 bonus on any one value and a +1 bonus on any other one value.

9. Note that this bonus (or boni) can take one or more values above 5, and their sum over 9.

Turn Sequence

Each game is played over a series of dice rolls between two opposing teams, governed by the following structure:

1. A game is played over two halfs.

2. Each half consists of a series of „actions“.

3. One action is the sum result of a roll of two six-sided dice (2D6) per team – called „action roll“ – with possible modifiers added or subtracted. This results in either one team „winning the action“ or a „tie“.

4. In addition, for each action a dice roll of a single six-sided dice (1D6) measures the time spent on this action (in minutes).

5. One half ends once the sum of the time for all its actions reaches or exceeds 45 (meaning each half can last between 45 and 50 minutes).

6. The second half starts at the mark of 45 minutes, no matter how long the first half was.

At the beginning of the game, one randomly determined team has kick-off. The second half begins with the other team having kick-off. Having kick-off means that this team is in possession of the ball, and both teams are in Midfield. From this point on the actions are played out as follows:

1. If a team has possession of the ball, it adds +1 to its action roll.

2. If a team is in Attack, Midfield or Defense, it adds the corresponding value to its action roll (see „Team Stats“).

3. If a team wins an action and is in possession of the ball, then:

1. If it is in Defense it moves to Midfield, keeping possession of the ball.
    2. If it is in Midfield it moves into Attack, keeping possession of the ball.
    3. If it is in Attack, it scores a goal, after which the opposing team has kick-off.
  4. If one team is in Midfield, so is the other.

5. If one team is in Attack, the other is in Defense.

6. If a team wins an action and is not in possession of the ball, then it gains possession of the ball and the other team is no longer in possession of the ball.

7. An action resulting in a tie has no consequence (other than time moving on).

8. Once an action is played out, the teams positions on the field and/or the status of ball possession are adjusted, and the next action is played out.

9. This goes on until the current half ends.

A game ends after two halfs in the group stage of the tournament. In the knockout stage of the tournament the game ends after two halfs only if one team leads by at least one goal; otherwise two more halfs are played, but each only lasts at least 15 and at most 20 minutes. If at this point there is no team leading by at least one goal, the game is decided by a penalty shootout, as described below.

Yellow Cards and Red Cards

Yellow and red cards are handled as follows:

1. All cards are tracked over the course of the tournament.

2. All yellow cards are discarded before the semi-finals.

3. Once a team has a second yellow card in either Attack, Midfield or Defense, these two yellow cards are discarded and immediately count as a red card.

4. A red card means the corresponding value being decreased by 2 for the remainder of this game and all of the next game. This can lower a value below 0.

5. The red card is then discarded, its effect reversed.

Penalty Shootout

This is played out as a series of five opposed dice rolls with 1D6 per team each. Each roll is won by the team with the higher result, ties are discarded. No modifiers are added.

If after five rolls there is still a tied overall result – perhaps for the five rolls both teams won two each, with one tie – then another penalty shootout is played.

The winner of the game is the team that won the final penalty shootout.

Playing Unfairly

A team can choose to play unfairly. The decision to do so is done by the trainer (player) of the team for one game at a time; so for example over the course of four games it is possible to play unfairly the first game, fairly the next two, then unfairly again for the last match. This decision is communicated to the gamemaster Darnok in secret ahead of the respective game.

A team playing unfairly wins any tied action roll; then immediately 1D6 is rolled: on 3 or more nothing else happens, but on a 1 or 2 the unfair play is noted as a Foul by the referee. In case of a Foul the opposing team wins the tied action roll instead, and the unfair team section currently in action receives a yellow card.

If both teams play unfairly, compare the results of the 1D6 – the team with the higher result wins the corresponding action roll. If this results is a tie, nothing happens – except for when both sides roll a 1 or 2. In this case both sides receive a Foul, but the result is still treated as a tie.

Note that playing unfairly has no effect in penalty shootouts!

Example:

• Assume Red is playing unfairly, and Blue has the ball in the Midfield.

• Red rolls a 7, Blue rolls a 9 – the result is a tie of 4+7=11 for Red and 1+9+1=11 for Blue.

• Now Red wins the tie, and gains the ball.

• The additional D6 rolls a 3, so nothing more happens.

• If this roll was a 1 or 2, Blue would win the tie, thus moving from the Midfield to Attack for Blue (Defense for Red); Reds Midfield would receive one yellow card.

Don't get a shock from all that, as a player you have to do (almost) nothing after setting up your participating team (unless you wish to play unfairly, in which case some communication is needed). If you have questions, please feel free to ask!

5. Participating Teams

1. Sea Rats Smileys (SR)
  2. Ocean Eleven (OL)
  3. Weelond Regimentals (ESL)
  4. Quinnsville Carronade (COR)
  5. Rassilon Rascals (SR)
  6. Team E (OL)

6. Schedule

1. Setup and rules
  2. Last call
  3. Playing Schedule
  4. Game 1, Sea Rats Smileys vs. Ocean Eleven (11.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  5. Game 2, Quinnsville Cannonade vs. Rassilon Rascals (12.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  6. Game 3, Sea Rats Smileys vs. Weelond Regimentals (13.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  7. Game 4, Quinnsville Cannonade vs. Team E (14.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  8. Game 5, Ocean Eleven vs. Weelond Regimentals (15.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  9. Game 6, Rassilon Rascals vs. Team E (16.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  10. Round 1 Roundup
  11. Game 7, Ocean Eleven vs. Sea Rats Smileys (18.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  12. Game 8, Rassilon Rascals vs. Quinnsville Cannonade (19.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  13. Game 9, Weelond Regimentals vs. Sea Rats Smileys (20.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half
  14. Game 10, Team E vs. Quinnsville Cannonade (21.12.): Results
  15. Game 11, Weelond Regimentals vs. Ocean Eleven (22.12.): Results
  16. Game 12, Team E v. Rassilon Rascals (23.12.): Results
  17. Round 2 Roundup
  18. Final, Weelond Regimentals vs. Team E (30.12.): Pregame | 1st half | 2nd half | Overtime: 1st half | 2nd half | Penalty Shootout

Edited by Darnok

Wow, that's a lot of rules for you to keep an eye on! Rest assured, the Oceans 11 will be there again this year, this time with a change of kit. 

You've put a lot of effort into this year's rules! I like it, especially with the building component as a way to help your team. :thumbup:

Now I've got to get busy preparing the Weelond Regimentals for a trip to Mesabi Landing.

They may look complicated at first, but in the end it is quite an easy process. I like rolling dice, and this process gives me a somewhat realistic sequence of outcomes describing the "natural flow" of a game - which should make writing up the game reports quite easy.

Already looking forward to how some old-timers are doing this year! :thumbup:

16 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

Question: are there any specific rules about flopping/diving, or do the "unfair play" rules apply? :look: :smug: :innocent:

I'd consider that unfair play - just let me know your team wants to "do the Neymar/Robben/fakerofchoice". :pir-grin:

21 hours ago, Darnok said:

I'd consider that unfair play - just let me know your team wants to "do the Neymar/Robben/fakerofchoice". :pir-grin:

Actually I don't plan to participate. I was just asking for fun. If you ask me, floppers/divers should be keel-hauled and forced to walk the plank. Into a school of sharks. :jollyroger:

Just a short heads-up: the tournament starts in two weeks from now. There are no entrants so far.

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

Just a short heads-up: the tournament starts in two weeks from now. There are no entrants so far.

No worries on this end: I'm on it. The Weelond Regimentals team photo is ready, and I'm working on my bonus scene.

Don't get me wrong: I see no need to hurry anything. Just a friendly reminder for everybody, so nobody needs to hurry later on. :pir-classic:

On 11/25/2019 at 12:42 PM, Darnok said:

I have my team, I just need to get round to photographing them.

So we have enough teams for two rounds so far - it's something! :thumbup:

Excellent entries from everybody so far, Mesabi Landing can be proud to have you. :pir-classic:

P.S.: Four more days to sign up, I hope we see many more challengers!

Edited by Darnok

Dear Tournament Chairman -

It is with a sad note that I write today.  The Charlatan Bay Inferno's will be unable to attend this year. The civil unrest that has been devistating our town has caused the team to be dissolved.  With a new hope on the horizon we hope to restore the team next year.  

Gustaf VonBricktin

Governor Charlatan Bay

Dec 619

15 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Dear Tournament Chairman -

It is with a sad note that I write today.  The Charlatan Bay Inferno's will be unable to attend this year. The civil unrest that has been devistating our town has caused the team to be dissolved.  With a new hope on the horizon we hope to restore the team next year.  

Gustaf VonBricktin

Governor Charlatan Bay

Dec 619

Aww, very sorry to hear it. :pir-sceptic:

Well, life is life, sometimes you just step on a brick in the wrong moment. Best of luck for next year, and my best wishes in the meantime. :pir-classic:

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

Aww, very sorry to hear it. :pir-sceptic:

Well, life is life, sometimes you just step on a brick in the wrong moment. Best of luck for next year, and my best wishes in the meantime. :pir-classic:

Thanks ... To many irons in the fire ... My building has been solely focused on my show displays as my time has been limited.  We lost half our maintenance department several months ago leaving the remaining 4 of us with experience to train the other 20 new employees.  Needless to say it's been heactic - they cut OT in the company but somehow I'm still working 70 hr weeks 

I hereby present the Rassilon Rascals:

800x261.jpg

After the destruction of their hometown by a meteor, many Rassilonians wear red in memory of that fiery day. They are led by their manager, Fung Swuay. Their best player is their goalie. By shear body mass alone he blocks half the net. But the rest of the Rascals are no lightweights. They expect to dominate this year.

Ah, two rather late entries - the more, the merrier! :thumbup:

I only now realised that I can not do a game schedule before knowing all entrants - so not before tomorrow. Silly me! :pir-oh:

So yeah, schedule will be up tomorrow, with the first game on the 11th.

@Bodi @Capt Wolf @dr_spock @LM71Blackbird @MKJoshA @Ross Fisher If you have not done so already, please let me know whether your team intends to play fair or unfair in their first game - PM please, for secrecy. Also, if you want your game reports to have more details (and have not done so yet), I would gladly appreciate a list of names for your team. This is by no means a necessity, I will fill any blanks left myself though (either by rollings stats and tactics randomly or making up names as needed).

Looking forward to how this goes! :pir-classic: