Darnok

[BTSC] BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619

Good evening and welcome everybody, to this final game of the BTSC 619. My name is Jim Napier, and I am with „Tiny“ McCoy...

... we are your commentators one last time.

Tonights game will decide who takes home the prestigious cup, as well as the right to host next years tournament. It has been a blast here in Mesabi Landing, figuratively and literally.

Those damn WTC Marines party way too hard for my taste!

True that, Tiny. We will see which team gets to party later tonight, with or without explosives!

The final pairing is Weelond Regimentals versus Team E, both of which played a great tournament. Team E won three of its four games compared to only two for Weelond Regimentals, but those have not lost a single match so far!

Let us take a look at both teams, one roster will be made up of champions later today!

Weelond Regimentals – A3 M5 D4

Team E – A2 M5 D4

1. Cuju Tsu-Chu (Keeper)

2. Luis Fernandez (D)

3. Robino „Nino“ Grijszon (D)

4. „Pegleg“ Pedro Piccio (D)

5. Raul Baracca (M)

6. Alberto Verde (M)

7. Gijs Reyngout (M)

8. Victor Rey (M)

9. Fangio (just Fangio) (A)

10. Jan Slegers (A)

11. Mauricio Montoya (A)

12. Patch Verlander (Coach)

1. Chief (Keeper)

2. Emile Poilu (D)

3. Hugo d'Orange (D)

4. Michel Colon (D)

5. Lorrain Lecloc (M)

6. Jerome Agrave (M)

7. Charles-Louis (M)

8. Sebastien Shotgen (M)

9. Jean Lamalette (M)

10. Guy Lejeunot (A)

11. Tirell Lourdos (A)

12. Jacques Louvois (Coach)

We see two completely different philosophies represented in these two teams, Weelond Regimentals are the veterans of three tournaments, with Patch Verlanders training regime taking them to their second final after 618.

Team E on the other side is a newcomer on the scene, just formed this year. Made up of legendars players on all positions it has yet to prove whether money can buy a title.

The final will be played in the new stadium financed by Major Brickford of Quinnsville. If it was meant as a bribe to get the Cannonade into the final it did most certainly not pay off.

Why so cynical, Jim?

Why so serious, Tiny? Watch the crowd already enjoy some pregame action, with a show match between teams in the colours of tonights teams. Soon the real deal will start, we all hope for a thrilling final game!

49270451473_6cd1950132_b.jpg

Spoiler

Image provided by @LM71Blackbird, thanks a lot!

Edited by Darnok

Final: Weelond Regimentals vs. Team E

After this fabulous show, the crowd is even more excited for te real game! Both teams have now entered the field. The coin is tossed high in the air...

... those oldschool pirate gold coins are the best, did I ever mention that, Jim?

True that, Tiny. Anyways, kickoff goes to Team E.

6''

These first minutes are characterised by careful play on both sides. No team has played the other yet, and it shows.

Only now did Weelond start a proper attack, with Alberto Verde taking the ball off Lorrain Lecloc.

Quite an unusual move for the midfielder. Alberto tends to play conservatively, lacking confidence in his offensive game. Not this time though!

8''

With a pass to Victor Rey, the ball is moving forward.

Now with Fangio, Weelond is probing the defense of the team from Eltina. Emile Poilu is stopping Fangios attack run for now, but Jan Slegers is open on the right side!

9''

With a smooth trick play Fangio gets past Poilu, and the ball goes to Slegers...

... who doesn't hesitate to risk a direct shot on the goal.

And in it goes! No chance for Eltinas keeper Chief! After a slow start, Weelond Regimentals score with a swift attack, now leading 1:0.

12''

A second kickoff for Team E after not even ten minutes. I doubt this was the plan of coach Jacques Louvois...

... neither was yet another ball loss, Jim. It happened anyway, with Rey taking the ball for Weelond. I guess we are in for another offensive of the Regimentals.

16''

Team E is under pressure now. They can not afford another goal, they have to push back the Regimentals!

Fangio is in Eltinas penalty area, with their defense unable to stop him.

21''

Hugo d'Orange played a brilliant defense so far all through the tournament. Now he proves being a legend once more, stopping Fangio right in front of the goal.

Team E should start an offensive of their own now – we are almost halfway through the first half and they never got past the center.

25''

A first attempt at an offensive is made, Tiny. After a flank on the other side, the ball reaches Poilu. He does a long pass forward, in an attempt to reach Guy Lejeunot in offense.

His pass is dead, Jim. Raul Baracca is able to intercept, but can't quite control the ball. It jumps off his feet, which gives Jean Lamalette the opportunity to get the ball back for Team E.

31''

Half an hour into the game, and Team E is neer the Regimentals goal for the first time!

Tirell Lourdos was able to break Weelonds steadfast midfield lines. Now the ball is going back and forth between Lourdos and Lejeunot.

35''

Lourdos shot, and failed! Keeper Cuju Tsu-Chu had no problem with this one.

Tsu-Chu kicking the ball forward, Weelond is on the move again.

37''

Weelonds Gijs Reyngout is moving through midfield on the left side, now blocked by Eltinas Charles-Louis. He can not get hold of the ball though, instead it goes out of bounds.

Throw-in for the Regimentals, who try to build up another offensive it seems.

41''

Seemingly frustrated, Charles-Louis is at it again...

... this time with success, Jim. He takes the ball off Rey. I wonder if either of the teams can score with only minutes left in the first half.

46''

The referee ends the first half with only a minute additional time. Rey had gotten back the ball, in what I would describe as foul play...

... apparently the referee was more focussed on the clock than on the gameplay. For now it does not matter. Team E might get a stern talk from their coach during the halftime break, but the Regimentals can not rely on their lead.

True that, Tiny. I hope for a more dramatic second half!

From the Weelond locker room, Patch Verlander can be heard kicking the Regimentals in their, er, "pineapples," despite their one goal lead! They're going to have to do more to win this game against a tough Eltina team. Verlander isn't going to let his team become complacent.

---

I can't believe I'm so tense over a fictional soccer game! :pir-oh:

46''

The game continues, and Team E is giving the Regimentals no quarter. Right after kickoff by Weelonds Mauricio Montoya, Eltinas Sebastien Shotgen attacked him in midfield.

With success, I might add. The ball is now with the minifigs in white and blue.

50''

Shotgen goes down the right side, passing to Lejeunot about 30 metres to the goal line.

He takes it into the middle, then passes on to Lourdos. Where is Weelonds defense?

I see Luis Fernandez always that one step behind the ball. Perhaps he already dreams of pineapples in a golden cup?

Not yet, Jim!

53''

Lourdos back to Lejeunot, a shot from the left – and Tsu-Chu is beaten. Team E scores with the loud cheers from its fans!

1:1, the game is even again. I see coach Patch Verlander kicking a pineapple in anger!

58''

Weelond does it quick and dirty now. With another obvious foul play Fangio takes the ball from Charles-Louis in midfield. What is the referee up to here?

I'm no mind reader, Jim. Weelond is in Eltinas half now.

64''

And another foul from Fangio, unbelievable! Michel Colon had stopped him, but Fangio grabbed and pulled him...

This time the referee noticed it, Jim. Is that... ? Yes it is! A yellow card for Fangio, who deserves this for sure. Free kick for Team E near their goal, and the Regimentals better be careful with their offensive play now.

69''

Poilu makes the free kick, reaching Lecloc, passing on to Shotgen. I see some new confidence in Eltinas midfield!

72''

Confidence alone doesn't cut it, Jim. Some double pressing by Reyngout and Rey got the ball back to Weelond.

74''

Those Regimentals are kicking it like a pineapple. Unless I'm mistaken, we just witnessed another foul from them...

... Baracca it seems...

... but unseen by the referee this time. Baracca passing forward to Montoya, who is dangerously close to Eltinas goal.

79''

Some impressive tackling by d'Orange, who kept it fair! Team E is in possession of the ball again.

It is still in play though, so the danger is not over yet.

80''

Back in midfield, Team E is out of danger for now.

Time is running low, Jim. Both teams need to score!

85''

Alberto Verde just took the ball for Weelond, Eltinas Lecloc got outplayed there. With some fast play the Regimentals could finish this in a last-minute offensive!

91''

What a game! Again with only one minute of additional time, the referees whistle ended the second half.

With a 1:1 draw we are going into overtime, Jim. An absolute first in this tournament!

So after a short break we will see another two halfs played, 15 minutes each. Both coaches have another chance to instruct their teams, all players have a chance to rest for a few moments. Then the ball is rolling again!

Spoiler

The dice have spoken - and they call for overtime!

2sWzGnh.jpg

Edited by Darnok

Overtime

What can we expect from these additional 30 minutes, Tiny?

I'm no fortune teller, Jim. I wonder how much strength is left in those minifigs, how much longer they can fight. We haven't seen anyting like this before!

True that, Tiny. I see both teams back on the field, here we go!

95''

Kickoff for Team E, and what energy they have left is going into a forward movement. They are attacking...

... as they should...

... with Lejeunot leading the charge.

101''

Robino Grijszon and Pedro Piccio keep Weelond in the game. „Nino“ and „Pegleg“...

... also called the „Fencepost Defense“ of the Regimentals...

... can stop Lejeunot, despite him getting backup from Lourdos. The fence is standing firm it seems!

107''

The first half of the overtime is done. Weelond has made it back to midfield, but ran out of time before starting a proper attack.

Just a short break, and the game will go on.

Edited by Darnok

107''

These are the last 15 minutes of regular playtime of the BTSC 619, and the Weelond Regimentals had the final kickoff...

... only to lose the ball right away. Rey had it, in an obvious attempt of a charge, with Charles-Louis stopping it in its tracks.

108''

Rey is not giving up though, tackling Charles-Louis from behind...

... who can only kick the ball over the sideline. Now he is getting up and complaining to the referee over this supposedly foul play.

The referee is not giving into a discussion though. A stern admonishment to the Eltina player for stalling the game, then Weelond gets a throw-in.

111''

Fangio and Slegers cut through Team E's defense, but both sides seem tired by now.

117''

GOOOOAAAAAALLLLL!!!

Fangio scores after some neat double pass play with Slegers, and with only three minutes left on the clock this 2:1 lead should be enough for Weelond!

119''

Tired or not, Team E is throwing it all in, not giving up. With only seconds left they all go forward.

I see their keeper Chief moving out of the goal as well, now all eleven players are in Weelonds half. The Regimentals are defending desperatively.

125''

I don't believe this. The gods must be kidding!

No jokes here, Jim.

The referee let play on for some minutes, which was what the legends from Eltina needed.

Colon to Lecloc, Chief blocking „Pegleg“ so Lejeunot could move to a central position, Lecloc to Lejeunot – who scores!

2:2, the whistle blows, over 120 minutes played and no winner yet!

Penalties it is, Jim...

Spoiler

Dammit, the dice are cruel today! In one of these "nobody will believe this!"-moments, the literal last roll decided... a draw. I once more swear: I honestly only report what I roll out with the dice, but I could not have asked for more drama here. :pir-grin:

Edited by Darnok

Quite a riveting game so far! So much action!

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

The final will be played in the new stadium financed by Major Brickford of Quinnsville. If it was meant as a bribe to get the Cannonade into the final it did most certainly not pay off.

How very, very true this statement is! :facepalm: Hopefully next year the cannonade can get things on track with a brand new roster!

Penalty Shootout

Now each team nominates five players, and one by one they will get a penalty shot each.

The winner of a Best-Of-Five series will win this years cup.

I'm tired, Tiny. I could sit in a pub and have a hot cup of tea by now.

Funny, Jim. Also: true. But here we are, and it seems both teams have declared their five players.

Chief and Tsu-Chu are at the left goal, with Weelonds Mauricio Montoya as the first shooter.

Unlucky for him, he misses the first shot!

Now Eltina could take the lead for the first time, with Tirell Lourdos to shoot.

His shot is on target, but Tsu-Chu can hold it! Jan Slegers is next in line for the Regimentals.

Same situation: a good shot on the left side of the goal, but Chief had the right idea and went for the same side. Still no goal for either side!

The second shot for Eltina will come from Guy Lejeunot. He steps back twice, takes aim... and makes it! Going for the right side and Tsu-Chu staying in the centre, the ball goes in, and Team E leads 1:0 in this dramatic shootout!

One behind it is now up to Fangio to tie the score and keep Weelond in this fight.

Over the goal! Apparently losing his cool, Fangio kicks the ball way over the net.

Jean Lamalette does the third try for Team E... and scores! With this 2:0 lead the door is wide open, with Weelond absolutely desperate for the next one.

Victor Rey is picking up the ball. If he does not make this one for his team, it is all over. After making it to the finals and failing in 618 and reaching the finals again in this year 619, it now all depends on this one penalty shot by Rey.

The tension in the stadium is tangible, Tiny. A real nailbiter, if only minifigs had nails!

Always the joker, Jim. Quiet now!

Chief is standing guard over the goal, Rey is running... shooting... and Chief holds the shot!

The stadium explodes on Eltinas half! This is it, with no way for Weelond to catch up the shot of Jerome Agrave, despite going in, is just a formality.

Team E is victorious in the final of the BTSC 619 with 3:0 after penalties, and if we were not so tired we could describe the celebrations on the field.

Not today, Jim. An aftermath report will follow though, another day. I am „Tiny“ McCoy...

.. and I am Jim Napier. We were your commentators for this years soccer tournament in Mesabi Landing. Good night everybody!

myf4lkV.jpg

Spoiler

Sheesh, this one took longer than expected. So Team E wins 3:0 against Weelond Regimentals in Penalties, after a 2:2 draw in regular playtime.

Team E wins the Cup! Congratulations!

iqXlDeD.jpg

Edited by Darnok

So as not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the play-by-play yet, my comments are below...

Spoiler

Ach! Runner-up again. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Congrats to Team E. The Regimentals will see you in Eltina next year. In the meantime, we'll work on our PKs. :pir-wink:

And thanks to Darnok for the most entertaining presentation of the games!

Unbelievable, Team E has won, but I guess it was largely due to the "legendary" prefix.:laugh:

Hope the Regimentals could have better luck next year.

And a big thank you to Darnok for all the behind scene works.:thumbup:

Congrats to Team E.  That was some final.

Big thanks to Darnok for hosting the tournament and Jim & Tiny for the play by play commentaries.  :thumbup: