Darnok

[BTSC] BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619

@Darnok Happy for you to fill in the rest of my squad with appropriately French/Oceans 11-sounding names. I have already stated my team stats and playstyle preference. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Darnok Happy for you to fill in the rest of my squad with appropriately French/Oceans 11-sounding names.

Will do! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I have already stated my team stats and playstyle preference. Thanks!

For all their games, or just the first?

Despite my desire to participate again, life prevented me still from getting any builds done. I'm looking forward to reading about the competition. 

Entrance is closed now, we got six teams competing in this years BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619.

The schedule with more details will follow later today, games will start tomorrow. :pir-classic:

7 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

Despite my desire to participate again, life prevented me still from getting any builds done. I'm looking forward to reading about the competition. 

Dammit! I hope life is going well though, and hopefully you can make it next year. Would have love to have you around - on the other hand it means I do not have to do another schedule yet again. So not all is bad! :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

we got six teams competing in this years BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619.

The schedule with more details will follow later today

How's it going to work? Round Robin and then playoffs?

Me too, though wanting to participate, are unable to MOC anything these days. Very busy. Good luck to all the other teams and I am hoping for a great tournament with many many builds along the way :laugh:

Playing Schedule

This years tournament will be played with six teams, see below for details on all of them. The OP of this thread has a schedule with daily updates for all games played. The six teams are split in two groups (three each), in order of registry. Starting with December 11th, one game will be played each day until the 22nd 23rd, with a break on the 17th (changed). Both groups will be played as double round-robin, i.e. each team plays each other twice.

The winner of each group will move on to the final. In the unlikely case of a tie for the top of a group - meaning after using secondary scores like goal saldo, direct comparison of their results against each other and number of cards received (in that order) - those teams would first play a semi-final. Because of this, the date of the final is still open.

The schedule and group tables are as follows:

==================================[ GROUP A ]==================================

Group A

Sea Rats Smileys

Ocean Eleven

Weelond Regimentals

Sea Rats Smileys

Ocean Eleven

Weelond Regimentals

Team

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Points (Saldo)

Sea Rats Smileys [5|3|2]

-

-

-

-

Ocean Eleven [3|1|5]

-

-

-

-

Weelond Regimentals [3|5|4]

-

-

-

-

==================================[ GROUP B ]==================================

Group B

Quinnsville Cannonade

Rassilon Rascals

Team E

Quinnsville Cannonade

Rassilon Rascals

Team E

Team

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Points (Saldo)

Quinnsville Cannonade [4|3|5]

-

-

-

-

Rassilon Rascals [3|3|3]

-

-

-

-

Team E [2|5|4]

-

-

-

-

For each group, the first table shows the dates of all pairings, the second table shows the results. The second table also shows each teams stats as [A|M|D] behind the teams name.

As for the teams, here they are with their full line-up:

1.) Sea Rats Smileys (SR) @dr_spock

tltARl7.jpg

Spoiler
  1. Handy Smiley (Keeper)

2. Randy Smiley (D)

3. Mandy Smiley (D)

4. Dandy Smiley (M)

5. Zandy Smiley (M)

6. Brandy Smiley (M)

7. Landy Smiley (A)

8. Wandy Smiley (A)

9. Candy Smiley (A)

10. Frandy Smiley (A)

11. Suzie Smiley (A)

12. Captain O'Smiley (Coach)

2.) Ocean Eleven (OL) @Ross Fisher

ZU59Oyg.jpg

Spoiler
  1. Brad „Rusty“ Ryan (Keeper)

2. Danielé „Danny“ La Mer (D)

3. „Cabin Boy“ Robin (D)

4. Elliot Tishkoff (D)

5. Shaobo „The Amazing“ Yen (D)

6. Carl Bloom (D)

7. Matt Caldwell (M)

8. Bernie Catton (M)

9. Don „Basher“ Tarr (A)

10. Casey Malloy (A)

11. Scott Malloy (A)

12. Abbé François (Coach)

3.) Weelond Regimentals (ESL) @Capt Wolf

hN1Xgkx.jpg

Spoiler
  1. Cuju Tsu-Chu (Keeper)

2. Luis Fernandez (D)

3. Robino „Nino“ Grijszon (D)

4. „Pegleg“ Pedro Piccio (D)

5. Raul Baracca (M)

6. Alberto Verde (M)

7. Gijs Reyngout (M)

8. Victor Rey (M)

9. Fangio (just Fangio) (A)

10. Jan Slegers (A)

11. Mauricio Montoya (A)

12. Patch Verlander (Coach)

4.) Quinnsville Carronade (COR) @LM71Blackbird

zsSeuOn.jpg

Spoiler
  1. John Pepper (Keeper)

2. Alan Booth (D)

3. Winston Gorman (D)

4. Benedict Slumbercatch (D)

5. Mory Danson (D)

6. Titus Creed (M)

7. Larry Opham (M)

8. Cameron Royce (M)

9. Arthur Peterson (A)

10. Burge Hollis (A)

11. Saul Richards (A)

12. Thaddeus White (Coach)

5.) Rassilon Rascals (SR) @MKJoshA

kRqOnVW.jpg

Spoiler
  1. Felix „Bubba“ Cavaliere (Keeper)

2. Eddie Brigati (D)

3. Gene Cornish (D)

4. Dino Danelli (D)

5. Howard „Buzz“ Feiten (M)

6. Robert Popwell (M)

7. Ann Sutton (M)

8. Moe „Li“ Holt (M)

9. Miles Kane (A)

10. Joe Edwards (A)

11. Greg Mighall (A)

12. Fung Swuay (Coach)

6.) Team E (OL) @Bodi

FztSsWP.jpg

Spoiler
  1. Chief (Keeper)

2. Emile Poilu (D)

3. Hugo d'Orange (D)

4. Michel Colon (D)

5. Lorrain Lecloc (M)

6. Jerome Agrave (M)

7. Charles-Louis (M)

8. Sebastien Shotgen (M)

9. Jean Lamalette (M)

10. Guy Lejeunot (A)

11. Tirell Lourdos (A)

12. Jacques Louvois (Coach)

P.S.:

I had good fun with the team player names - some were provided by their "coaches", other I had the freedom to choose. Inspiration came from different directions. If anybody has an issue with anything: just let me know!

Good game for everybody! :pir-classic:

Edited by Darnok
Change in schedule!

Welcome everybody, to the BotBS Tournament Soccer Cup 619 here in Mesabi Landing! My name is Jim Napier, and together with my beloved colleague „Tiny“ McCoy I will guide you through this years series of games. So Tiny, introduce yourself, and let our guests know what we are about to see!

Well, thanks for the warm welcome, Jim. It is a beautiful day on this 11th of December, the sun is shining kindly, temperatures are much milder than during the summer. Quite a genius decision by the WTC to push the BTSC – excuse me for not using the full monster of a name – to the early winter. Just imagine the game being played during our cruel summer time!

We better not, I start sweating by the mention of it.

Same here, Jim. The ball will finally be rolling today, with two teams from Group A playing the first match of the tournament. It is the Sea Rats Smileys coming from Bastion, against Ocean Eleven all straight from Chateau D'Ouennes.

Wait a moment Tiny, isn't Chateau D'Ouennes one of Oleons prisons?

That's right, Jim. All of the players of Ocean Eleven are current prison inmates, they could even be seen walking through Mesabi Landing all chained together.

That sounds like quite a handicap for their gaming performance to me...

We can only wait and see, Jim. For now, here are the player rosters of both teams:

Sea Rats Smileys - A5 M3 D2

Ocean Eleven - A3 M1 D5

1. Handy Smiley (Keeper)

2. Randy Smiley (D)

3. Mandy Smiley (D)

4. Dandy Smiley (M)

5. Zandy Smiley (M)

6. Brandy Smiley (M)

7. Landy Smiley (A)

8. Wandy Smiley (A)

9. Candy Smiley (A)

10. Frandy Smiley (A)

11. Suzie Smiley (A)

1. Brad „Rusty“ Ryan (Keeper)

2. Danielé „Danny“ La Mer (D)

3. „Cabin Boy“ Robin (D)

4. Elliot Tishkoff (D)

5. Shaobo „The Amazing“ Yen (D)

6. Carl Bloom (D)

7. Matt Caldwell (M)

8. Bernie Catton (M)

9. Don „Basher“ Tarr (A)

10. Casey Malloy (A)

11. Scott Malloy (A)

12. Abbé François (Coach)

As you can see, the strong offense of the Smileys is pretty evenly matched by the Elevens defense. The Smileys midfield looks stronger to me, but they might be punished by their weaker defense if Oceans Eleven ever gets to strike there!

Thanks for the introduction, Tiny! We have rented some scribbling monkeys from the WTCM to document our commentary for readers all over the Brick Seas, and I see them working already. There is a joke about monkeys and typewriters somewhere in this, but I fear typewriters are not even invented yet...

Quite the joker today, eh Jim? Oh look, the teams are running on the field, the game is about to start!

DC6FJUx.jpg

Edited by Darnok
Including the team stats with the roster.

Group A, Game 1: Sea Rats Smileys vs. Ocean Eleven

We are up in our commentators cabin, both teams are on the field now.

Just in time Jim, they are already flipping the coin for who has the kickoff... and it goes to Ocean Eleven!

And the ball is rolling – the BTSC 619 has started! Matt Caldwell has the ball, and is passing to Bernie Catton... but the ball gets intercepted, and not even one minute into the game the Smileys take possession of the ball!

5''

Right, Jim. The Smileys are pushing through midfield, with Dandy, Zandy and Brandy outplaying the Oleanders quite easily. We are now at the five minute mark, and the Smileys offense is in clear control of the game. Their star forward Suzie Smiley calls for a flank, she is free right in front of the goal!

10''

Woah!

Damn, I am no doctor Jim, but that must have hurt! One of the Eleven – I can not make it out exactly from this distance, it looks like Yen – just fouled Suzie in a brawl close to the goal.

Not so amzing from „The Amazing“ Yen, for the referee has taken notice, and... yep, that's a yellow card for Yen and a penalty for the Smileys!

Suzie is doing it herself... and it's in! The Smileys are in the lead 1:0 after only ten minutes.

I think the Eleven didn't expect to be at the kickoff point again so soon. Is that anger in their faces?

Damn, I'm no psychologist, Jim! It was tough to make anything out in that brawl at the goal. The Eleven are doing nobody a favour in their black and white prison dress.

12''

Just hold your breath, for that black and white is rushing to the other side of the field! It seems they have taken off some of their chains, for their offense has taken the ball towards the Smileys goal now. Don Tarr has the ball, and... yes, a shot on the goal from about 30 metres!

Apparently he's called „Basher“ for a reason. For now the Smileys keeper could prevent a goal, but Handy could not get a safe hand on the ball: it is still in the field.

17''

Yeah, the Malloy brothers are doing some of their tricks, outpassing the Smileys defense, and is that... oh yes it is! Goal! 17 minutes have passed, and after a flank from Scott, his brother Casey did score with a wonderful volley shot! 1:1 it is.

The Smileys have managed to get back into the game quickly, impressive. If the game continues like this, we are in for a treat today.

19''

True that, Tiny. Kickoff for the Smileys again, and they are not willing to hand it to the Eleven! See, no two minutes later, and the ball is in front of the Elevens goal again. Another quick score?

24''

Maybe, Jim, but the ball is going back and forth now. That chained defense is doing quite some work against the Smilyes' offense...

28''

Agreed, the game has slowed down a bit. Ten minutes later, and both teams are back in the midfield. Have the Sea Rats shot all their powder too early?

34''

Maybe, Jim, but for now they have claimed the ball again. Zandy is doing a long flank along the right sideline... and it reaches Frandy, who passes it on to Suzie.

38''

Well, apparently Suzie has taken more of a hit than we thought. She lost the ball to Elliot Tishkoff, and Ocean Eleven looks like in control for now.

42''

Or not, Jim. Suzie is not the only strong player in the Smileys' offense, for Landy and Wandy have taken the ball back. It might be for nothing though, for time is running out in the first half!

The clock is ticking, but there seems to be some extra time because of the foul play earlier. Could it be... yes!

47''

Another goal for the Sea Rats Smileys for a 2:1 lead, and now the referee is ending the first half!

45''

We're back from the break for the second half, and so are both teams. The Sea Rats Smileys have kickoff now, and despite their lead they should not play it safe. If anything, Ocean Eleven have shown in the first half how fast they can recover from being behind.

They sure did, Jim. The question is if they can do it again.

51''

To me it looks like the Smileys want to fight for more. Initiated by Zandy, the Smileys play a strong forward movement. The ball is now with Candy, but she struggles with the Elevens' defense.

55''

Impressive! Robin, called „Cabin Boy“ from his time under Capsaicin Meloche, has taken the ball for Ocean Eleven. Dark magic?

Damn, I'm not a wizard, Jim! That was some fine play by the young man though.

59''

Back to midfield once more, the Eleven want to strike back!

61''

Or not, Jim. The Smileys are in possession of the ball again, now pushing aggressively towards their enemies goal...

66''

Right you are, Tiny. Once more Suzie has taken a shot at the goal, but keeper Brad Ryan could deflect it. I have no clue why he is called „Rusty“, for his reflexes are not.

72''

Reflexes alone are not everything. This time he could not hold the ball, and Frandy was able to score for a 3:1.

74''

It seems those chains on the Elevens ankles are taking their toll, for right after the kickoff the Smileys have retaken the ball. Ocean Eleven must be careful now, to not let the Sea Rats sink their ship!

77''

Already close to the goal they are. They are excellent defenders, but Bloom and Tishkoff seem to be unable to get the ball off the Smileys' feet.

80''

The inevitable has happened, and the Smileys are 4:1 in the lead now!

Some nice trick play by Suzie there, to me Ocean Eleven are done now. Only ten minutes left, three points from a draw.

83''

Right you are, Tiny. Their chains are unbroken, but their spirit most definitely is not. Once more the Smileys have taken the ball in midfield soon after kickoff. No joke: it is not funny to watch this game right now.

Aye, Ocean Eleven is getting taken apart.

87''

Oh my, the clock is ticking down, but the Smiley attack wing is closing in on the goal again.

They are dead, Jim. Why the Sea Rats can not just play down the clock is a mystery to me. This game was over some time ago!

92''

One last strike! One more goal for the Smileys, 5:1.

Now the referee puts an end to what has become a massacre. The game is over! Congratulations to the Sea Rats Smileys for their overwhelming victory.

And may the gods have mercy with the Ocean Eleven players: coach François will give them none!

0Y6d2y3.jpg

Spoiler

Quite an interesting first match for me, for it looked very balanced in the first half. Only after the break the dice went complete against Ocean Eleven, and it turned into a bloodbath. The table looks like this:

0WPhKJP.jpg

Edited by Darnok

Welcome back to the BTSC 619, where today Group B joins the event. I am Jim Napier, together with my fellow „Tiny“ McCoy we will be your commentators.

Welcome back, Jim. Todays game will be Quinnsville Cannonade from Cocovia against the Rassilon Rascals from the Nest Of Thieves. Here are the teams player rosters:

Quinnsville Cannonade - A4 M3 D5

Rassilon Rascals - A3 M3 D3

1. John Pepper (Keeper)

2. Alan Booth (D)

3. Winston Gorman (D)

4. Benedict Slumbercatch (D)

5. Mory Danson (D)

6. Titus Creed (M)

7. Larry Opham (M)

8. Cameron Royce (M)

9. Arthur Peterson (A)

10. Burge Hollis (A)

11. Saul Richards (A)

12. Thaddeus White (Coach)

1. Felix „Bubba“ Cavaliere (Keeper)

2. Eddie Brigati (D)

3. Gene Cornish (D)

4. Dino Danelli (D)

5. Howard „Buzz“ Feiten (M)

6. Robert Popwell (M)

7. Ann Sutton (M)

8. Moe „Li“ Holt (M)

9. Miles Kane (A)

10. Joe Edwards (A)

11. Greg Mighall (A)

12. Fung Swuay (Coach)

Looks like the Rascals' keeper might be tough nut to crack, I have seen him earlier today. A giant of a man, filling half the goal on his own! Is he related to you?

Quiet you, Jim. It's all big bones anyway!

Anyways, back to the teams. Going by their statistics, Quinnsville Cannonade has a definite advantage, but Rassilon Rascals might still stand a chance due to their very balanced roster.

As the second team from the Sea Rats they might also play some unusual strategies. Dare I say we might see some dirty tricks on the field as well?

Who knows with the Rats, who knows. We will see in a moment, for the teams are on the way to the field, and the game is about to start!

Edited by Darnok
I had the colours wrong!

Group B, Game 1: Quinnsville Cannonade vs. Rassilon Rascals

Kickoff goes to the Rascals for the first half, both teams are on their positions... and the game is afoot!

4''

A rough start for the Rascals, not even four minutes into the game they have already lost the ball. Howard „Buzz“ Feiten was advancing on the right, tried to pass to Ann Sutton on the left, but Cannonades Titus Creed was able to intercept the ball.

7''

See Jim, the Corries try to honour their team name, blasting forward into the Rascals defense zone. Are we in for another fast first goal?

13''

Not yet, Tiny. We have just seen a pass from Peterson to Richards, who had a good shot at the goal – but the Rascals keeper had no issues with it.

An excellent parade by Felix Cavaliere, called „Bubba“. The ball is now back in control of the Rascals.

19''

Not for long though. After some skirmishing the ball went to Richards, who tried to get another shot off. This time the Rascals' Gene Corrish could only stop him by unfair means! The referee had a good view of the scene, so now Corrish has received a yellow card, for fouling a Corrish player.

Don't be a clown, Jim! And it is "Cornish", not Corrish anyway. The foul happened just outside the penalty area, so a free kick for Quinnsville Cannonade sets up a nice chance for another move in the offense.

23''

The Rascals' defense is up to the challenge it seems, for they have taken back the ball once more...

24''

… only to lose it again a minute later.

Well, both teams look evenly matched to me, Jim. I have just checked the player profiles again. On paper the team from Corrington has a stronger offense than the Sea Rats' defense. It's a testament to the Rascals' fighting spirit to hold their opponents at bay like this.

29''

I believe it might not be just about the fighting spirit, Tiny. The Rascals are in possession of the ball again, this time by some not so legal play. The referee has not seen it though, so some luck for the Sea Rats team.

33''

With luck or with skill, the Rascals have taken the game out of their penalty area for a change. Their Robert Popwell and Ann Sutton set up a charge through the midfield.

38''

It was not meant to last, Tiny. Cameron Royce came in for a brilliant intercept, and is now passing to nearby Arthur Peterson.

Both have known each other for years now, they are both part of Quinnsvilles upcoming timber and woodworking business.

43''

Interesting facts for sure, definitely more interesting than the game right now. We are back in front of the Rascals goal. Will we see a goal close to the end of this first half?

45''

Apparently not, Jim. The Rascals were defending well, taking back the ball yet another time. Now the referee has seen the time, and we are in the break.

Edited by Darnok
Wrong colours!

49''

Quinnsville Cannonade had the kickoff for the second half, and they have come out of the break with new energy it seems. The team has pushed towards the Rascals' goal already. Just let us hope that the second half does not go like the first...

Your word in the gods ears, Jim. We have seen some tactical gameplay so far. I want some goals now, dammit!

52''

You won't get one for now, Tiny. „Bubba“ has just expertly deflected yet another shot on the goal from Saul Richards. He can not get past the titanic keeper from Rassilon!

58''

To me it looks like the Rascals are determined to not repeat the first halfs strategy, for their midfielders are pushing through. Once more I think I have seen some unfair play by „Buzz“ Feiten, but the referee did not notice anything worth an action.

That's what... the third time this game now? The Rascals should be happy with only that one yellow card so far!

64''

Happy or not, they are in front of the Cannonades' goal now.

A welcome premiere in this match!

66''

As is this first goal of the game! In a beautiful series of short passes the Rascals' offense went through the Cannonades' defense, with Miles Kane finishing it off.

A great shot, impossible to hold by keeper John Pepper! Rassilon Rascals are leading 1:0 now.

67''

Do the Rascals smell blood? Right after kickoff Sutton has taken the ball off Creeds foot.

She is a beautiful young lady. Combine that with the charisma of a Sea Rat and the Cannonades frustration...

70''

That's crazy talk, Jim. Whatever goes on in Creeds head: he has gotten the ball back, and Quinnsville Cannonade seems to stabilize in the midfield for the time being.

75''

No jokes from me this time, apparently the back and forth from the first half is going on...

... just in the midfield this time, Jim. The Rascals are in possession of the ball once more. I wonder when we will see some decisive actions again.

81''

There you go, Tiny. Now the Rascals are in their opponents penalty area, after Popwell and Sutton managed to break that midfield stalemate and passed the ball to Kane.

87''

If only it had come to another goal, but no, Jim. Quinnsville Cannonade was able to push back, even though their time is running dangerously low.

Aye, the clock is ticking. Three more minutes of regular play time, and the Corries have the ball in their own defense...

89''

They have not given up, Jim. Quite an attack run by Creed, going all through midfield. This just might be the chance the Cannonades need to at least break even in this match.

93''

In the end it was not enough. Richards already had the ball, without a doubt wanting to test the mighty „Bubba“ one last time. It all was for nothing though, for the referees whistle ended the match before he could strike.

So the Quinnsville Cannonade lose 0:1 against the Rassilon Rascals, for the second Sea Rats victory in the second game of the BTSC. We will see if this little series can hold!

We will do, Tiny. Now have a good time everybody, and see you all tomorrow!

ppQ6ylD.jpg

Spoiler

Quite a different game compared to the first one. I guess you just have to trust me - believe me when I say that I have no proverbial dogs in these fights, and am honest about all results.

wwLlpWV.jpg

Edited by Darnok
One last time with the damn colours...

Another great commentary by you @Darnok! Quite the interesting game as well.

Shame that the Cannonade wasn't able to pull off a victory in it's first match, but at least the team is solid!

@MKJoshA and @LM71Blackbird Nice looking teams.

@Darnok Whoa... you're really putting some effort into this. And I actually enjoyed the commentary, which was unexpected. (I mean, they're just chasing a ball through the grass, right? :tongue: ) And I would certainly think the participants would trust your results.

Welcome back to day three of the BTSC 619, we are your commentators for todays game. I am Jim Napier...

... and I am „Tiny“ McCoy. Hello Jim, we are in for a real treat with this game, for the Weelond Regimentals enter the tournament! They are Soccer Cup veterans and last years runner-up.

Oh who could forget that nail-biter of a final against our very own Red Rogues? Now the Regimentals are back, probably more hungry for the first place than ever. What do you think, Tiny? Can they make it this year?

I'm no fortuneteller, Jim. They are strong contenders for sure though, and I guess we can expect some great games with them.

Their first match is against the Sea Rats Smileys, who already won a game two days ago. We will see if that was just a fluke, and if their celebrations have done them more harm than good. They had a party going on all night from what I have heard.

Half of Mesabi Landing must have heard it, Jim! Quite a riot it was, Sea Rats know their party business. Anyways, these are the team rosters for today:

Sea Rats Smileys – A5 M3 D2

Weelond Regimentals – A3 M5 D4

1. Handy Smiley (Keeper)

2. Randy Smiley (D)

3. Mandy Smiley (D)

4. Dandy Smiley (M)

5. Zandy Smiley (M)

6. Brandy Smiley (M)

7. Landy Smiley (A)

8. Wandy Smiley (A)

9. Candy Smiley (A)

10. Frandy Smiley (A)

11. Suzie Smiley (A)

1. Cuju Tsu-Chu (Keeper)

2. Luis Fernandez (D)

3. Robino „Nino“ Grijszon (D)

4. „Pegleg“ Pedro Piccio (D)

5. Raul Baracca (M)

6. Alberto Verde (M)

7. Gijs Reyngout (M)

8. Victor Rey (M)

9. Fangio (just Fangio) (A)

10. Jan Slegers (A)

11. Mauricio Montoya (A)

12. Patch Verlander (Coach)

I see lots of familiar names in the Regimentals' line-up, apparently coach Verlander hasn't changed a lot compared to last year.

That's right, Jim. All players have proven that they can kick a pineapple well, and to Patch Verlander that's what counts above all else.

Old Patch and his obsession with pineapples. Well, you can't discuss with results, and it has payed off pretty well last year, right? We will see how it goes this time. No time for more chatter, as the teams are entering the field right now.

On to the match, Jim!

Edited by Darnok

Group A, Game 2: Sea Rats Smileys vs. Weelond Regimentals

Kickoff goes to the Smileys. I sharp whistle, and the referee has opened the game!

4''

I feel like I've got a déjà vu, Tiny. The Smileys are heading forward, storming into their opponents half. Will we see the same from them like in their first game?

Would it hurt, Jim? I would appreciate some more goals than yesterday.

6''

Your wishes might come true! Six minutes in, and we have our first goal! Suzie Smiley took a chance and shot from 40m away, and keeper Cuju Tsu-Chu could not hold it.

The Regimentals' keeper is also the teams chef, maybe he has not yet realised that he is on the field and not in the kitchen anymore? Whatever it is, the defense from Weelond gave a poor first impression this year. 1:0 for the Sea Rats Smileys.

8''

Shortly after the kickoff by the Weelond Regimentals their Gijs Reyngout mispassed, and the Smileys are with the ball again.

Quite unusual, Gijs is a versatile player and known for passing well. It really seems like the Regimentals need more time to find into the game again.

13''

The Smileys must not get careless themselves. Raul Baracca took the ball off them, and is about to head towards the Smileys half.

16''

That move was stopped by Dandy Smiley, Jim. Baracca went flying, helped not by a studshooter but by Dandy. The referee grants Dandy his wish, and hands out a yellow card for this brutal action. A free kick for Weelond!

17''

Alberto Verde took the free kick, for a beautiful long flank into the Smileys penalty zone. Some say he lacks confidence in his play, but I can see nothing of it right now.

Same here, Jim. Fangio takes the flank like a champion, giving the Smileys defense no time to react properly... and the ball is in the net! The score is even again, 1:1 and not even twenty minutes are played. This is the game I want to see!

19''

Maybe the Regimentals have their mojo back, Tiny. We are just after kickoff again, and an intercept by Victor Rey brought the ball back to the team from Weelond. The game is getting fast now!

20''

You're right, Jim. Rey passes to Reyngout, who in turn outplays Dandy and Zandy from the Smileys. Now one excellent pass forward to Mauricio Montoya. The Smileys are hard pressed in their defense!

22''

Nobody is smiling in the team amongst the classic heads now! A flank into the middle, and Fangio had his head in the right place – Handy Smiley had no chance. From 0:1 to 2:1 in about five minutes!

24''

The Smileys are far from giving up though. Kickoff, playing through the midfield without any problems, and right in the Regimentals half again. Suzie Smiley has the ball, that could mean another goal... oh no!

We saw the same, Tiny. A rude bodycheck against „Pegleg“ Pedro Piccio, but the referee seems to be fine with it. Quite some shouts and whistles from the Weelond fan block disagree! The game heats up for sure!

28''

So this was too much, the Smileys overstated their welcome in the Regimentals' penalty area. Frandy Smiley had the ball, and made some room to shoot by not kicking the ball, but Weelonds Luis Fernandez. This time the referee was alert, handing out the second yellow card to the Smileys this game!

29''

„Pegleg“ took the free kick himself, for a nice forward flank to midfield, where Rey took the ball, pressing forward to offense. This is the Victor Rey we know and love, always with an eye for solid aggressive actions.

32''

This time the ball ends up with Jan Slegers, taking on Randy and Mandy Smiley at the same time...

33''

... and succeeding in it! Goal for the Weelond Regimentals, now leading 3:1.

Now I have the déjà vu, Jim. Are the Smileys on the receiving end of something like they did in their first game?

We are only about half an hour into the game, Tiny. You are right though, it is quite the shootout. The Smileys better get back to getting some shots of their own done!

39''

Our favourite headpieces have not given up yet. Once more they are moving forward, their offensive testing the Regimentals. Landy and Candy are taking shots at the goal...

... both parried by Tsu-Chu!

41''

Now Suzie as well, attempting a header after a high flank...

... and this one is in! The Sea Rats Smileys score, shortening Weelonds lead to 3:2.

47''

The first half is done, with no more goal in these last six minutes. The Regimentals went into the offense again, but could not score before the referees whistle. Unlucky! I better not imagine in detail what coach Verlander does to the first pineapple he finds in the break.

This break could not have been short enough, everybody. The fans are shouting for more, and so are we.

Let's hope for a second half that can keep up with the spectacle of the first one, Jim.

45''

And off we go, the Weelond Regimentals take the kickoff.

I can't make out any positional changes in either team, Jim. Those two yellow cards for the Smileys should have an impact on the game though.

51''

I guess you are right, Tiny. We see some action in midfield, but nothing compared to the explosive moves in the first half. The Smileys have taken the ball though, and it looks like the game is slowly shifting towards their opponents goal.

56''

Slowly indeed, Jim. But we are getting there...

61''

... are we though? Robino Grijszon, called „Nino“, has just proven his reputation as the „Boy Wonder“, and taken the ball off Suzie Smilyes foot.

He and „Pegleg“ are the foundation of Weelonds famous defense, they are called The Fenceposts for a reason. So this didn't come exactly as a surprise.

Suzie might feel like handing out some headbutts though, Nino better beware!

67''

She is out for revenge, Jim, reclaiming the ball like a whirlwind! Will The Fenceposts endure?

69''

One misstep by Tsu-Chu, one goal for the Smileys. The game is even again, 3:3.

I wonder if either team has the energy and will to make a decisive move in the last minutes of the game.

73''

The Weelond Regimentals are not known for giving up, and they push forwards once more. Fangio has fallen back to midfield and taken the ball from there.

Now he is stuck in the Smileys' defense though.

75''

Randy and Mandy might not form the worlds greatest defense, but they have stopped Fangios attack, stabilising the Smileys game in the backfield for now.

79''

Montoya could snatch the ball, and suddenly the game is fast again!

True that, Jim. A short pass to Fangio... back to Montoya, dodging a tackle from Randy... another short pass to Slegers... and a shot!

Handy holds it, no problem.

85''

It seems like the Smileys want to play down the clock, for they are keeping the ball in their half.

That's madness, Jim. The game is almost over, a successful offensive action would give them the victory and a great position in the fight for the groups leadership.

I don't get it either, Tiny. Maybe they are just exhausted. It is a risky gamble nonetheless.

91''

Over and out! Weelond managed to seize the offense one last time at the 90 minute mark, but it was too little, too late. The referee ended the game just now, and his whistle was echoed by the Weelond fans – they can't believe the game stopped when their team was about to strike for the win.

Such is life, Jim. The result is a 3:3, leaving the Sea Rats undefeated. A disappointment for the Regimentals, that much is certain. They had the victory for a time, but then let it slide. If they want to go for this years Cup they have to show more.

They will have another chance in two days, and they have to deliver then. Looking forward to Sunday, as well as the second game of Group B tomorrow. Good night everybody, this was Jim Napier...

... and „Tiny“ McCoy. See you all tomorrow!

IGWvjLp.jpg

Spoiler

A furious fight in the first half, followed by a much slower second half. That phase after minute 73'' was quite unbelievable to me - but the dice have spoken!

mHIS3JN.jpg

0FxU0X2.jpg

Ach! So close. Exciting game. It is not a loss for Weelond, and we have a rematch in 6 days.

Thanks Darnok.  I really like how you named my team members. :laugh:   Great job on the play by play commentary.   :classic:

Go Sea Rats!