imvanya

[LDD MOCs] imvanya's City vehicles – New cement mixer

As some of you may know, I already have a topic for my sport cars. Why not have another one for regular city cars?

The latest LEGO Ideas contest "BUILD A VINTAGE CAR TO CRUISE THE STREETS OF LEGO® MODULAR BUILDINGS!" was a perfect occasion to get back to building after a break. After all, 6-wide cars is what I mainly build, so why not take a shot at a contest?

Choosing a subject matter for an entry was the first step. In the end, I (like many others) decided to build a delivery truck. I was able to complete it in about a week, and looking back at it, I think I may have overcomplicated things as I tend to. Anyway, I am really pleased with the end result, especially with the shaping of the fenders. It fits one minifig, 3 crates and a hand truck. The roof and the hood are detachable, and there's a brick-built V engine.

49037191638_6209c3f228_z.jpg

49037693151_89645aa3f4_z.jpg

49037910622_00e555401e_z.jpg

49037910592_69c49c1d9c_z.jpg

Comments and critique are welcome. The model is available at Mecabricks, or you can download an .lxf file.

UPD: PDF instructions are now available at my Bricksafe here.

Edited by imvanya

3 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

WOW your work never ceases to amaze me! I love this. I think I might need one in my city!

Thanks for the kind words! Do not hesitate to use the Mecabricks model if you want to build it. Unfortunately, some of the parts are missing in LDD. As to the parts availability, I tried to make sure that all of the bricks exist in the colors used.

Edited by imvanya

4 hours ago, neonic said:

Nice looking truck :classic:
Also great use of parts, like the bumper and mirrors.

Thank you! Minifigure accessories are quite useful when you want to itroduce finer details into a MOC. It's great seeing LEGO introduce more techniques like that into more official sets.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:35 AM, Bludchylde said:

Love this. Downloaded the .lxf and can't wait to get my hands on the bricks to build this.

Please note that a couple of parts are not available in LDD, so are missing in the file:

Edited by imvanya

After completing the delivery truck I still had some creative energy flowing, which I didn't want to waste. So here's another vintage city car created for the LEGO Ideas contest, and another popular concept – a taxi. The things I wanted to implement with this one were:

• covered rear wheels
  • hood and windshield assemblies based on the 41682 bracket.

It took a few tries to build the front, but it was the the rear that proved to be the tricky part because of the 1-plate offset and the parts I decided to use. In the end, I used a couple of 41682-s here as well. I am still not 100% sure if the final design is robust enough, but the looks are decent. This one fits 3 minifigs with relative comfort plus a minifig suitcase in the openable trunk. The roof and the hood are detachable, and there's a brick-built V engine identical to the one in the delivery truck.

49037693331_d69f952396_z.jpg

49037910997_8668f7f5e3_z.jpg

49037910917_8b936a648f_z.jpg

49037191813_b3f9dc36ef_z.jpg

49037693341_c636795c99_z.jpg

DISCLAIMER: many of the pieces may not actually be available in yellow! However, if you just want a vintage-looking car, it should be possible to come up with a different color scheme. For instance, put a 3185 or a 15332 behind the front seats, make the car black with white doors, roof and hood, slap a trans-red 1x1 round plate on top – and you have yourself a police cruiser :wink:

Comments and critique are welcome as usual. The model is available at Mecabricks, or you can download an .lxf file.

Edited by imvanya
Link update

1 hour ago, supertruper1988 said:

I think I want to get both now haha!

I know I can build the truck with a dark blue windshield part but white and brown is super classy.

Surprisingly, this color scheme is the result of my referencing Bricklink for parts availability. A couple of times that i did this before what i got was a black, gray or white car :laugh: If you end up building any one of them, I would love to see the pictures.

Edited by imvanya

On 11/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, imvanya said:

For instance, put a 3185 or a 15332 behind the front seats, make the car black with white doors, roof and hood, slap a trans-red 1x1 round plate on top – and you have yourself a police cruiser :wink:

I actually did a render of this recolor, thought I'd share it:

49063543113_ca238d6d84_z.jpg

I've been playing with Stud.io instructions creator, so I can now share building instructions for the vintage sedan – please feel free to get them here.

There are a few changes compared to the taxi, but I also tried to make sure all parts were available in the colors used. 

Edited by imvanya

The van is so nice, really like the styling. The front bumper is lovely and axes for wing mirrors - brilliant! 

23 minutes ago, electropie said:

The van is so nice, really like the styling. The front bumper is lovely and axes for wing mirrors - brilliant! 

Thanks! With LEGO having used the cleavers on the Speed Champions Mini, there really is no excuse for not using them in car MOCs.

I recently got a couple of sets as part packs, and now I am re-introducing myself to physical LEGO building. I started with building one of my digital MOCs to see if it would work IRL (it actually did), but I also wanted to build something from scratch.

I had a farmer minfigure lying around, so I decided to build a small tractor. After an hour or so I had a cute bright red tractor, so I decided to post it here before I disassembled it. I still haven't figured out a way to make decent photos, so a render for now:

49723991357_51b6f6145c_c.jpg

The model is also available at Mecabricks in case you like it.

It's been a while now that I haven't built a new MOC. However, I've been making instructions for my existing MOCs (they can be found at my Bricksafe), and it is actually quite a lot of fun. And one thing you end up doing is optimizing, updating, improving and otherwise modding your MOCs.

Long story short, the latest MOC to get this treatment was the cargo truck I built 7 years ago now. Revisiting it now, with many new parts available and some new building tricks learnt, I decided to change a few things. First of all, I shortened the flatbed and made a brick-built canvas cover. Secondly, I redid the front section in a more common Bright blue color and just overall streamlined the design. Basically, this time around I wanted to make sure that you could build it IRL if you really wanted to.

Anyway, here is how it looks now:

50161859326_41db3ec051_z.jpg
50161317358_4c916b3ec1_z.jpg

The .io file is available at my Bricksafe here, the model is also available at Mecabricks here. You can get PDF instructions at my Bricksafe here.

Edited by imvanya

I started the year by building a new Modular, and as usual, this got me to come back to LEGO in general. Long story short, I finally finished a redux of another older MOC of mine – a school bus. The design should be more streamlined now, though the look ended up somewhat rectangular. In any case, it is now more reasonably sized, and at the same time I managed to cram a brick-built V engine and a removable engine cover. It has seats for 12 passengers plus the driver, the roof is also removable. Bright Light Orange/Flame Yellowish Orange is perfect for a school bus, but is not too common, so I tried to make sure the pieces I used are available in this color.

50832099803_8be69c9d2c_c.jpg

50832927367_3b81e0ffd4_c.jpg

The .io file is available at my Bricksafe here, the model is also available at Mecabricks here. You can get PDF instructions at my Bricksafe here. Please note that a few of the new pieces have not yet made it into Stud.io (66956 and 71752) at the time I post it, so lime green placeholders are used in the instructions.

Edited by imvanya

I wanted to share a teaser of something I've been building on and off for the last few months:

51823358380_d85b36e586_z.jpg

At the moment, I'm finalizing the design and working on the instructions. I hope to share the full model and instructions very soon.

My latest model is a cement mixer. This is a model I have been working on for quite a while. It is loosely based on a 3-axle Mack Granite and the Bruder toy model in particular.

The truck features a cab that can seat 2 minifigs. an openable hood with a brick built engine inside. The drum is brick-built, so unfortunatley I did not manage to make it hollow, and driven by the truck's 2nd axle. I also included a discharge chute with an extra extension section.

I am very happy to have finally finished this model and quite satisfied with the result. Some of the connections, specifically the filling funnel and the ladder, may be somewhat flimsy if built with real bricks, but I have not had the chance to check it myself. I also had to make the Tile 2 x 4 with Silver Car Grille Pattern piece myself as it is not available in either the Stud.io or Mecabricks library. It has only been used in Juniors/4+ sets, which could explain why it is missing.

51823646866_c49157e506_c.jpg

51823986884_92f47095f7_c.jpg

51822693127_eb0d63fe28_z.jpg

The .io file is available at my Bricksafe here, the model is also available at Mecabricks here. You can get PDF instructions at my Bricksafe here.

Edited by imvanya
Updated the images