Sign in to follow this  
imvanya

[LDD MOCs] [LEGO Ideas Contest] imvanya's city cars

As some of you may know, I already have a topic for my sport cars. Why not have another one for regular city cars?

The latest LEGO Ideas contest "BUILD A VINTAGE CAR TO CRUISE THE STREETS OF LEGO® MODULAR BUILDINGS!" was a perfect occasion to get back to building after a break. After all, 6-wide cars is what I mainly build, so why not take a shot at a contest?

Choosing a subject matter for an entry was the first step. In the end, I (like many others) decided to build a delivery truck. I was able to complete it in about a week, and looking back at it, I think I may have overcomplicated things as I tend to. Anyway, I am really pleased with the end result, especially with the shaping of the fenders. It fits one minifig, 3 crates and a hand truck. The roof and the hood are detachable, and there's a brick-built V engine.

49037191638_6209c3f228_z.jpg

49037693151_89645aa3f4_z.jpg

49037910622_00e555401e_z.jpg

49037910592_69c49c1d9c_z.jpg

Comments and critique are welcome. The model is available at Mecabricks, or you can download an .lxf file.

Finally, if you like the model, please feel free to vote for this entry. Thank you!

Edited by imvanya

3 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

WOW your work never ceases to amaze me! I love this. I think I might need one in my city!

Thanks for the kind words! Do not hesitate to use the Mecabricks model if you want to build it. Unfortunately, some of the parts are missing in LDD. As to the parts availability, I tried to make sure that all of the bricks exist in the colors used.

Edited by imvanya

4 hours ago, neonic said:

Nice looking truck :classic:
Also great use of parts, like the bumper and mirrors.

Thank you! Minifigure accessories are quite useful when you want to itroduce finer details into a MOC. It's great seeing LEGO introduce more techniques like that into more official sets.

5 hours ago, Bludchylde said:

Love this. Downloaded the .lxf and can't wait to get my hands on the bricks to build this.

Please note that a couple of parts are not available in LDD, so are missing in the file:

After completing the delivery truck I still had some creative energy flowing, which I didn't want to waste. So here's another vintage city car created for the LEGO Ideas contest, and another popular concept – a taxi. The things I wanted to implement with this one were:

• covered rear wheels
  • hood and windshield assemblies based on the 41682 bracket.

It took a few tries to build the front, but it was the the rear that proved to be the tricky part because of the 1-plate offset and the parts I decided to use. In the end, I used a couple of 41682-s here as well. I am still not 100% sure if the final design is robust enough, but the looks are decent. This one fits 3 minifigs with relative comfort plus a minifig suitcase in the openable trunk. The roof and the hood are detachable, and there's a brick-built V engine identical to the one in the delivery truck.

49037693331_d69f952396_z.jpg

49037910997_8668f7f5e3_z.jpg

49037910917_8b936a648f_z.jpg

49037191813_b3f9dc36ef_z.jpg

49037693341_c636795c99_z.jpg

DISCLAIMER: many of the pieces may not actually be available in yellow! However, if you just want a vintage-looking car, it should be possible to come up with a different color scheme. For instance, put a 3185 or a 15332 behind the front seats, make the car black with white doors, roof and hood, slap a trans-red 1x1 round plate on top – and you have yourself a police cruiser :wink:

Comments and critique are welcome as usual. The model is available at Mecabricks, or you can download an .lxf file.

Finally, if you like this model, you can vote for it here. Thank you!

Edited by imvanya
Link update

1 hour ago, supertruper1988 said:

I think I want to get both now haha!

I know I can build the truck with a dark blue windshield part but white and brown is super classy.

Surprisingly, this color scheme is the result of my referencing Bricklink for parts availability. A couple of times that i did this before what i got was a black, gray or white car :laugh: If you end up building any one of them, I would love to see the pictures.

Edited by imvanya

On 11/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, imvanya said:

For instance, put a 3185 or a 15332 behind the front seats, make the car black with white doors, roof and hood, slap a trans-red 1x1 round plate on top – and you have yourself a police cruiser :wink:

I actually did a render of this recolor, thought I'd share it:

49063543113_ca238d6d84_z.jpg