SteamSewnEmpire

(Moc) Narrow Gauge 4-4-0

I noticed last week that the White Pass & Yukon's first road locomotive was a 4-4-0. Although only one photo survives of #4, she looks to have been a pretty standard American engine. My model isn't a perfect reproduction by any means (I am pretty sure the WP&Y only ever painted their power in black), but rather something that could stand in for a lot of different engines on varied narrow gauge lines in North America.

vpjTjhk.jpg

2XUVJY0.png

y8Thh2r.png

K1F1IOj.png

2 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

Nice! I like your solution for the transition between the boiler and the firebox.

Wish they're just introduce a 6 to 4 cone piece. Sigh.

It looks great!

I'm concerned about the gear train though. The coupler rod connecting the tender to the engine is going to mean that any weight the engine pulls is directly adding friction to the drive shaft, and since that 24t gear isn't well-braced, pulling anything is going to pull that gear backwards and it won't be able to mesh with the 12t gear. 

It's a very clever space to hide a motor though. It may be easier to get a good strong, and more compact, transmission with a "gear tower", depending on your spacing. 

Very nice implementation! On my real world 4-6-0 narrow gauge I wound up using "space's" powered trucks of a similar design to yours in the tender. My M motor is in the tender with one powered truck, battery and receiver in an RPO carriage right behind. If you do plan on making this in the real world, I found the tight radius of real lego "IJ" narrow gauge tracks to be very difficult to navigate with a shorter wheelbase leading truck and had to double articulate this link. Also steam cylinders had to be brought out a half stud on each side (7 wide mount) for clearance and rods just don't work with the extreme angles! Cheers!