Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new Architecture sets

Hello everybody! :classic:

Now we know that next year there'll be skylines of Tokyo and Dubai. So I thought it would be interesting to collect ideas for new skylines.

Here are my wishes:

• Hamburg (Elb Philharmony, harbor with cargo crane, fish market house, St. Pauli, town hall)
  • Rome (Collosseum, Peter dome, remains of Forum Romanum, ...)
  • Billund (Lego house, Lego factory, Kristiansen's house, ...)
  • Cologne (dome, bridge, RTL building, ...)
  • Rio de Janeiro (carneval, beach, Jesus statue on rock, ...)
  • Washington D. C. (Capitol, White House, ...)
  • Moscow (Kremlin, ...)
  • Vienna (castle, Prater with ferris wheel, ...)
  • Athens (Acropolis, remains of ancient Greek houses, ...)

What would you like to see?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Just now, Klaus-Dieter said:

Washington D. C. (Capitol, White House, ...)

I live in Washington DC. I'd live to see that. I'd also like go see the Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. 

6 minutes ago, pooda said:

I live in Washington DC. I'd live to see that. I'd also like go see the Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. 

Yes, these two are definately a good idea to put in! I didn't think about them - English lessons at school are already so many years ago. :blush:

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

3 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Yes, these two are definately a good idea to put in! I didn't think about them - English lessons at school are already so many years ago. :blush:

Thanks! I was thinking also about the MLK memorial and the Jefferson Memorial.  

So i see you're a City fan too. I shall give you a follow. 

Milan would be cool! A possible skyline could be Il Duomo, Sforzesco Castle, Torre Velasca, Teatro alla Scalla, and the Pirelli Tower.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:56 AM, thenightman89 said:

Anyone who follows me on Instagram (@BenBuildsLego) knows that I'd love to see more fictional skylines (e.g. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Disney movies, Lord of the Rings)!

Well, I myself would love to see some original skyline builds from Lego fashioned after Jeff Friesen's work... :purrr:

I like the range of architecture and it might be time to add some monuments from the African continent ? Egyptian monuments, for example, if you look at some of the most famous.

Edited by Antha

On 11/8/2019 at 4:52 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Copenhagen (Lego house, Lego factory, Kristiansen's house,

Unfortunately, these buildings are not in Copenhagen, but 300 kilometers away in Billund - and Billund is a small village, and dont really have a skyline...

But inspired by LEGO, there is a new building in Copenhagen: BLOX (where Danish Architecture Society resides): https://www.blox.dk/om-blox/hvad-er-blox/

Personally I am kind of tired of skylines, I like the landmark and building series a bit more these days.  I really liked the skylines at first, but I think it is just too hard to do them justice at the scale they are doing.  Any single building mentioned in your skyline lineup would be worth to me Klaus.

On November 11, 2019 at 1:27 PM, Herky said:

Personally I am kind of tired of skylines, I like the landmark and building series a bit more these days.  I really liked the skylines at first, but I think it is just too hard to do them justice at the scale they are doing.  Any single building mentioned in your skyline lineup would be worth to me Klaus.

I'm with you.  Every now and then the skylines series does something cool/unexpected, but they abstract away so much that it's easy to get bored with "yet another row of odd shaped towers clipped to a narrow base."  I'd much rather see larger, more detailed builds of interesting individual buildings from around the world.

How about a USECO World Heritage Site sub-theme for Architecture?  Out of the the hundreds of castles, tombs, ancient temples, landmarks, etc. on the list surely Lego could cherry-pick a few each year with broad enough appeal to sustain the line (The Acropolis, Easter Island, Petra, Tower of London, Kremlin, Machu Picchu, The pyramids of Teotihuacan, etc.).  They've already hit a couple items on the list (Great Wall of China, Statue of Liberty, Villa Savoye, pretty much everything they've done from Paris, etc.) so it's really not that much of a stretch and by branding things as UNESCO World Heritage Site it might be a way to side-step the current prohibition on "religious" kits and let Architecture release a temple or cathedral (or at least the ruins of such) for its role as an historic structure rather than as a center of worship.

A Landmark of the Dam Square (like they did Trafalgar square)  could be interesting, now that a LEGO store is opening in Amsterdam especially. 

Royal Palace of Amsterdam +The National Monument on Dam Square

It might be too similar to the Trafalgar set however.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

How about a USECO World Heritage Site sub-theme for Architecture?  Out of the the hundreds of castles, tombs, ancient temples, landmarks, etc. on the list surely Lego could cherry-pick a few each year with broad enough appeal to sustain the line (The Acropolis, Easter Island, Petra, Tower of London, Kremlin, Machu Picchu, The pyramids of Teotihuacan, etc.).  They've already hit a couple items on the list (Great Wall of China, Statue of Liberty, Villa Savoye, pretty much everything they've done from Paris, etc.) so it's really not that much of a stretch and by branding things as UNESCO World Heritage Site it might be a way to side-step the current prohibition on "religious" kits and let Architecture release a temple or cathedral (or at least the ruins of such) for its role as an historic structure rather than as a center of worship.

I think many others would be in line with you to purchase stuff like this.  I’m honestly surprised with the success of the architecture line that they haven’t done sets like this on a wider scale. 

When Machu Picchu passed 10K on LEGO Ideas, I was hoping that maybe LEGO would pick it up for a set. My Spanish teacher had grown up in Peru, so learning about that country is something I will always remember. If LEGO were to do a USECO World Heritage Site sub-theme, many of the choices you mentioned, including Machu-Picchu, would pique my interest.

Personally, I want to see some more Italian architecture since the last set was Venice, which was almost 4 years ago. Also, what about South American Architecture? There's been none if I recall correctly. At the very least they could attempt a skyline set? Buenos Aires, Lima, and Rio all would make good skylines. That said, the skylines haven't interested me as much as individual structures, due to how small and expensive they can be.

Finally, I would love to see some fictional or licensed structures. I recently saw the movie, Promare, and Promepolis really caught my eye. Kray's Office, in particular, would fit in very well in the Architecture theme, due to its square shapes and sleek appearance.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:04 PM, ArneNielsen said:

Unfortunately, these buildings are not in Copenhagen, but 300 kilometers away in Billund - and Billund is a small village, and dont really have a skyline...

But inspired by LEGO, there is a new building in Copenhagen: BLOX (where Danish Architecture Society resides): https://www.blox.dk/om-blox/hvad-er-blox/

Thanks, ArneNielsen! I mixed that up. Now I corrected it. Of course Billund doesn't have a real skyline which you call a skyline like the one of NY etc. Nevertheless I bet that Lego fans would like a Billund "skyline" since it's the home of the brick.

Enough of the skylines already. Or establish them as a separate theme. And, please, no more monuments from Washington DC.  There are buildings of architectural significance out there that would be great subject matter.  The Chrysler building in NYC, for one.  The Kremlin. Or, go to any major european city and you’ll see plenty of subject matter.  Castles.  Downton Abbey. Unless they’re moved to a separate theme and used as inventory at airport souvenir shops, I personally don’t see any value in the city skylines. 

On 11/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, Herky said:

Personally I am kind of tired of skylines, I like the landmark and building series a bit more these days.

Me too - only a couple stand out as excellent to me: Berlin, Shanghai, and now Tokyo. I'd much rather see a full-sized Burj al-Arab model than a wee little thing in the middle of a skyline featuring the Burj Khalifa (and how many times has TLG released that building now?). Why not a proper Golden Gate Bridge or something?

I know landmarks can be hard to tune to the public's interests, but I feel there are plenty of iconic buildings out there with more than just a niche following that would make good Architecture models.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

Machu Picchu, The pyramids of Teotihuacan

I could definitely get behind these suggestions, among others.

As a Canadian, I'd love to see some Canadian building represented in Lego Architecture. The CN tower and Rogers Center would be an obvious choice,  but they could go with much more interesting buildings, so I'd rather see those two included in a Toronto Skyline if Lego continues making them. For non Skyline sets, the Centre Block would be amazing, as long as it includes the Library of Parliament, and the Château Frontenac in Quebec City is another iconic Canadian building they could make.