Sign in to follow this  
nocruoro

Lego Digital Designer for Ubuntu

Hi there, new here also known as Necross Hordika/ Ice Kopaka on the mostly defunct BZPower forum.

Didn't know where elso to put this threas. I've been trying to finishing installation for Lego Digital designer latest version on my Ubuntu 18.4 laptop for me and my little cousins.
Have been using Wine and PlayonLinux to help with this but i still get issues trying to finish it

heres the debug log from playon linux (spoiler large text ahead)

Spoiler

[11/03/19 14:40:06] - Running wine- --version (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)

PlayOnLinux logfile
-------------------
Date: 11/03/19 14:40:06

> PlayOnLinux Version
> uname -a
Linux kristjan-Aspire-F5-522 5.0.0-32-generic #34~18.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 10 10:36:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> lsb_release -a

> wine --version
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
> POL_WINEVERSION

> WINEPREFIX
/home/kristjan/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/lego
> Distribution
Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
> glxinfo \| grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
> glxinfo \| grep renderer
GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
OpenGL renderer string: AMD STONEY (DRM 3.27.0, 5.0.0-32-generic, LLVM 8.0.0)
> OpenGL libs (Direct rendering testing)
check_dd_x86 missing, test skipped
check_dd_amd64 missing, test skipped

[11/03/19 14:40:06] - This is a 32bits prefix!
[11/03/19 14:40:07] - Running wine- cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles% (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
C:\Program Files
[11/03/19 14:40:17] - Running wine- /home/kristjan/Downloads/SetupLDD-PC-4_2_5.exe (Working directory : /)
002e:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
[11/03/19 14:41:18] - Running wine- winepath -u C:\\users\\kristjan\\Desktop (Working directory : /home/kristjan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/lego/drive_c)
/home/kristjan/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/lego/dosdevices/c:/users/kristjan/Desktop
[11/03/19 14:41:41] - Running wine- LDD.exe (Working directory : /home/kristjan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/lego/drive_c/Program Files/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer)
[11/03/19 14:41:53] - Running wine- LDD.exe (Working directory : /home/kristjan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/lego/drive_c/Program Files/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer)
[11/03/19 14:42:06] - Running wine- LDD.exe (Working directory : /home/kristjan/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/lego/drive_c/Program Files/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer)

I also finished installing flash player but the http://isflashinstalled.com/ says nope for me although i can see it in my list after following this guide https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-latest-adobe-flash-player-on-ubuntu-18-04-linux/
how do i get this to work?

all i get right now is a sad face error which i dont understand. I'm trying here since most ubuntuforums don't show much interest in this software and i cant find any brick repositories for things like bionicle and technic. unless anyone know where that is and can guide me how to install repositories for LeoCad folders?

Edited by nocruoro

Okay, first, welcome :classic:

Then, about your problems with LDD:

1. You seem to be installing LDD 4.2.5.  The latest (and last) is 4.3.11.  Well, there’s a 4.3.12 on lego.com but this one is rotten (see another thread on this forum), get the real 4.3.11, for instance here (provided by M2m on another thread).
  2. One error message says it all: “ntlm_auth was not found.”
    It goes on saying ntlm_auth is in the winbind package, so try installing this package.
  3. I don’t remember ever having to install anything before installing LDD in Wine, certainly not flash, and LDD works fine, so don’t fret too much about it.

Next, about parts for LeoCAD:

1. Check you have the latest LDraw Official Library: https://www.ldraw.org/parts/latest-parts.html (you’d want complete.zip).
  2. You can also look at the Unofficial Library (that is, WIP parts not yet veted): https://www.ldraw.org/article/14.html
  3. If you’re still missing parts and you know those are in LDD, you can check on http://digital-bricks.de/ (they are raw transcripts from LDD, not really integrated in LDraw but still manually workable).

And finally, as I know it will pop up :grin:, I wouldn’t recommend Studio: the last updates don’t work with Wine (almost no inputs, keyboard or mouse, working :sad:), otherwise, it has all the parts I listed above, with BrickLink’s names, a link to BrickLink’s catalogue, and a nice renderer.  But they don’t care about Linux.

Looks like the 4.3.11 version just gives me a black screen and crashes. IF anyone can point me to a guide for installing parts with leocad with ubuntu that would be fine