Herky

Lego Architecture 2020

53 minutes ago, Options said:

Even as an American who’s visited the White House more than once, this is a ho-hum release and will mark the first building in the architecture series that I don’t buy. From strictly an architectural stand point, while it’s a well know building, it certainly (in my opinion) isn’t a design icon.  A building may be well known, but that doesn’t mean it’s on my Lego  wish list.

Quite. Epitomises the dumbing down of the Architecture theme into a tourist/sightseeing one.

9 hours ago, henrysunset said:

That's right.  I confirmed with LEGO and it is August 1 in North & South America, June 1 everywhere else.  This has created a lot of anger and confusion of forums with a lot of LEGO Architecture fans from the USA who can't understand why the set comes out two months later in the country where the building is actually located... (They have a good point.)

I did get a review copy from LEGO, and have posted my review at Brick Architect. I liked the overall composition which includes both the East Wing and West Wing, and the level of detailing significantly exceeds the 2010 version. Also, the price-per-part is excellent (especially when released in USA for just $100).  Unfortunately, the proportions of the central building are completely wrong, the instruction booklet had several errors, and I strongly dislike the unfinished look of the landscaping, where roads and pathways sit above the grass and so many studs remain visible (instead of being smooth tile at the same height).

Thusly, it only barely earned our 3/5 star rating, which is a pretty big step down from the original 2010 #21006 The White House, which is in my top 10 list of LEGO Architecture sets (there are 50 sets so far).  Please feel free to check out the review (which includes a ton of photos).  I'd love to hear your thoughts, too!

JB2A1724-1200x600.jpg

-

JB2A1740-1200x600.jpg

#21006 (2010) vs. #21054 (2020) - Executive Residence only.

Sincerely,
—Tom

As much as I’m completely disinterested in this particular set, always appreciate your really excellent reviews Tom.

1 hour ago, Fairsy said:

Have you got a link to your ranking of the sets?

I don't... I might post my complete list as a future article, though.  It sounds like you would be interested, at least!

45 minutes ago, henrysunset said:

It sounds like you would be interested, at least!

Add me to that interested list too! All subjective of course but always nice to see others opinions especially on how some of the older sets compare with the more recent ones in terms of design, display appeal and also build experience.

The Frank Lloyd Wright sets were outstanding.  A large version of any of them would be welcomed.  

Imagine an updated Fallingwater. Shame the license deal with Atom Bricks/ART means that’s not happening anytime soon if ever again. 

4 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Imagine an updated Fallingwater. Shame the license deal with Atom Bricks/ART means that’s not happening anytime soon if ever again. 

I do not know if that licensing deal is exclusive.  It's possible that LEGO could produce another set, but they do not seem motivated to do so.

While fans of the LEGO Architecture series adore sets like Fallingwater, Villa Savoye, or Farnsworth House, I suspect they sell a small fraction as well as The White House, Eiffel Tower, etc...

I honestly think we need to accept that these types of buildings are not financially practical for TLG, and focus on making awesome MOC's of these architectural wonders.

---tom

The lack of any robust discussion of the architecture series on a forum like this leads me to believe the series will probably remain of little interest to TLG outside of issuing sets that make nice souvenirs and can be easily packed in one’s carry-on bag. 

On 11/6/2019 at 3:09 PM, Herky said:

So we know we have these 2 coming out:  

LEGO Architecture 21051 Tokyo Skyline - 547 parts - 59.99 euros

Tokyo probably offers so many possibilities that the designers had a very difficult choice. However, you have, among other things, the building of the "Tokyo Tower", "Fashion Gakuen Cocoon Towers", and the "Tokyo Skytrees" very well modeled. Between the towers, there are still several Japanese cherry blossom trees and a small selection of colorful buildings (these are supposed to represent the huge advertising displays).

LEGO Architecture 21052 Dubai Skyline - 740 pieces - 59,99 Euro

Even in Dubai, the selection of buildings must have been difficult. But with the "Jumeirah Emirates Tower", "Dubai Frame", "Burj Khalifa" and the "Burj Al Arab", the skyline of Dubai is unmistakable.

Will be interesting to see what buildings/landmarks might come out as well.  I know there is a FaceBook Lego Architecture page with all sorts of MOC's and the like on there, lots of great ideas that TLG could use for sets.

I love the Architecture line, but I'm not too keen on the Skyline sets. I prefer individual buildings, and it's disappointing to hear that LEGO doesn't have any on the docket for this year. I have the U.S. Capitol Building and the old White House model, and I've waited years for LEGO to release a U.S. Supreme Court building. I posted my MOC of this build on LEGO Ideas. (Check it out here if you're interested.)

1202410187_LEGOSupremeCourt.jpg.4784b7c406d22e39f0bc2e6f2f7a6063.jpg

20 hours ago, Options said:

The lack of any robust discussion of the architecture series on a forum like this leads me to believe the series will probably remain of little interest to TLG outside of issuing sets that make nice souvenirs and can be easily packed in one’s carry-on bag. 

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. It's a pity.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:02 PM, Calvinw said:

I wish it was a new building but I have to admit, this is a very nice upgrade to the first version.  

I recently posted my MOC U.S. Supreme Court on LEGO Ideas, if you're looking for a new building from Washington. You can check it out here if you're interested.

Edited by Pholvandir
Fixed photograph.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:41 PM, henrysunset said:

I liked the overall composition which includes both the East Wing and West Wing, and the level of detailing significantly exceeds the 2010 version. Also, the price-per-part is excellent (especially when released in USA for just $100).  Unfortunately, the proportions of the central building are completely wrong, the instruction booklet had several errors, and I strongly dislike the unfinished look of the landscaping, where roads and pathways sit above the grass and so many studs remain visible (instead of being smooth tile at the same height).

Excellent review and I agree. I have the 2010 set as well and this one is much better even despite the comparatively squashed main structure. I also concur about the grass and roads but its still a more aesthetically appealing set with both wing structures and the increased detail, more refined overall. Fantastic pictures as well.

BTW has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to Daniel Tosh?

Hope you guys like this video! LEGO Architecture - Marina Bay Sands ( 21021 ) - Bricks Assembly

Edited by Bricks Assembly

3 hours ago, Bricks Assembly said:

i like  Marina Bay Sands ( 21021 ) 

It’s a lovely small set but one of the worst examples of TLG’s “regional exclusive” strategy, which thankfully has now been ended.

Given the stupidly insane market price for a sealed boxed set, like many others I suspect, I BrickLinked mine (and got the name tile separately) for less than the original retail.

I don’t have a problem with regional releases.  But, don’t put them in the regular series.  It drives us completists crazy.  I bought two Marina Bay Sands for about $200 each (included shipping) when they we’re first released.  The seller was in Japan and I actually received the sets within a few days.  The new White House release will be my first ‘pass’ in the architecture series. 

So the White House has finally released in all markets now, but so far we only have 3 sets for 2020 in this line.  Kind of disappointing as I believe that is the least amount ever released in a year.  I have to wonder if this line is dying out.

48 minutes ago, Herky said:

So the White House has finally released in all markets now, but so far we only have 3 sets for 2020 in this line.  Kind of disappointing as I believe that is the least amount ever released in a year.  I have to wonder if this line is dying out.

This isn’t an Architecture theme anymore, and hasn’t been for some time. It should be renamed Tourist Attractions and LEGO sell a lot of these sets as souvenirs. So given how tourism has been affected in 2020, I’d say a slow year for new releases is to be expected. 

Edited by Lucarex

17 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

We might have 21053 coming out...

Lucarex - I have to agree with you.

JintaiZ - what set is 21053?

1 hour ago, Herky said:

JintaiZ - what set is 21053?

There isn't information about what it is right now, but it is probably arriving soon.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:36 PM, jonwil said:

Is that one the rumored Colosseum or is the Colosseum a different set?

That is supposedly 10276, so a different set.

I guess I'm a bit late to the news, but as we Architecture fans contend with endless iterations of Big Ben and the White house, over in IDEAS land, the Bangladesh National Parliament has made it to 10k supporters. It's a beautiful structure with some wonderful voids. Personally I've occasionally wondered how one might best translate it into LEGO, but JandJLEGO, the submitter, has done a fabulous job.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/bf4be568-06c6-4608-83d0-b2d10ea4f3f3

On 9/8/2020 at 6:36 AM, jimmynick said:

I guess I'm a bit late to the news, but as we Architecture fans contend with endless iterations of Big Ben and the White house, over in IDEAS land, the Bangladesh National Parliament has made it to 10k supporters. It's a beautiful structure with some wonderful voids. Personally I've occasionally wondered how one might best translate it into LEGO, but JandJLEGO, the submitter, has done a fabulous job.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/bf4be568-06c6-4608-83d0-b2d10ea4f3f3

I like the idea, but not the execution of it in Lego.  I think it needs to be at least twice as large with more detail.  The Ideas submission seems uninspiring and, at best, an average representation of the actual building.

On 9/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, Options said:

I like the idea, but not the execution of it in Lego.  I think it needs to be at least twice as large with more detail.  The Ideas submission seems uninspiring and, at best, an average representation of the actual building.

I agree, I would like to see this as a bigger building.  It can gain a lot of detail that way.  That aside, the main problem we have with Lego Ideas is that they will never do anything for the Architecture line.  Ideas is for any build outside of the normal themes.  Since we have an Architecture theme, you will never see a submission made for that line.  Lego does what every other manufacturer does and has ideas in the pipeline for 3 and 5 years down the road.  They came up with CUUSOO, now Ideas, as a way to promote AFOL ideas as long as it doesn't cost them much.  This also churns the Define side of the process so there is always something there should they need to rely on what to do for the future, even if it was an AFOL idea.  The first set was the Shinkai 6500 submarine and was exclusive to Japan. Now we have many Ideas sets but if you really look at all these sets, you won't see anything in a theme that already existed.  That plus once you submit your idea, it's now the property of Lego for 3 years when you could have put it on Rebrickable.

I think Toronto would be perfect, Canada has never seen an Architecture set and there are enough world-famous buildings to make it work.

13 hours ago, Northgeorgiamasonry said:

Have there been any rumors yet of the 2021 skylines?  Hong Kong, Toronto, Moscow, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur all seem like they could be possibilities.

Moscow and St. Petersburg each have a few buildings that would be really fun to see in full-blown Architecture or Creator Expert/18+ sets. Although I guess at least one of the Moscow buildings is a church, so that rules it out?