Herky

Lego Architecture 2020

How many pieces is Robie House? Must be near to that level

15 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Creator Expert and Archictecture have overlap in subject matter for sure, but for now, it seems they keep those 2500+ piece sets under Creator Expert.

2 hours ago, Fairsy said:

How many pieces is Robie House? Must be near to that level

2276, with the Empire State Building (2019) coming second at 1767, still a lot of pieces for sure.

So far the Creator Expert buildings started at nearly 3000, 2989 for the Opera House, all the way up to 5923 for the Taj Mahal 2017 update.

But I don't know the real reasoning for the different theme labels, it was just something I noticed that those larger sets were under Creator.

Edited by TeriXeri

I can't say I care for this choice. The old White House set just retired 4 years ago and is part of many people's collections. It still looks nice with modern sets, so I don't see why they remade it so soon. That said, I can only wonder what makes this set 3,700 parts, at 100 Euro, with an 18+ rating. Is there some crazy complex building styles used? Perhaps they added some rooms, like in the Capitol Building. I believe this set could look very nice, so I won't write it off yet.

EDIT: Please keep in mind this information could very easily be wrong. So take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Cocoa

With that age rating I guess it will include the secret orgy room :grin: .

Jokes aside, I'm not particularly excited for it. It's yet another neoclassic American landmark, and one that has been made into a set before.

And someone posted that Amazon.UE has set 21055 as Burj Khalifa.  This is being released for the Arabian market and is a re-release of 21031, I am not sure if this was part of the International Toy Fare or not.  

As for the White House, not thrilled about this myself, ridiculous that they are redoing this already.  Someone needs to invite the Lego folks to this forum to discuss future sets.  

Okay, I’ve often wondered what would make me abandon my OCD, completist attitude towards the architecture series.  I chased down Marina Bay Sands at an inflated price from an eBay seller in Japan.  Well, I’m not wasting my time and money chasing down 21055. I’ll probably skip 21054, too. I’m disappointed in a White House rehash when there are so many other buildings than would be a better choice for a large, new release. 

You can start with one of the many Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. The Chrysler building.  The Biltmore in Asheville, NC.  The Gateway Arch in St Louis.  

Some of you know me and realize there’s never been a place for mini-figs in my modular collection/display.  They’re all dismembered in a large plastic bag.  I may buy 21054, assemble a few hundred mini-figs with little protest signs in their hands and surround 21054 with them. Then again, I may not. 

Disappointing. 

According the Brickset, the White House set is about 50cm wide. That's huge! It's two modular buildings side to side. Of course, the House will not be occupying the whole width, I imagine (?)... How much will be left for the garden and everything surrounding the building itself?

I loved the Statue of Liberty and like the Empire State (despite not buying it since it seems too repetitive). Large architecture sets have the potential of being on par with huge sets like the Big Ben and Old Trafford, so I'll be looking forward to more info on this set.

2 hours ago, Terrasher said:

According the Brickset, the White House set is about 50cm wide. That's huge! It's two modular buildings side to side. Of course, the House will not be occupying the whole width, I imagine (?)... How much will be left for the garden and everything surrounding the building itself?

According to Zusammengebaut the set also contains the west and east wings of the White house, and not just the Executive residence (what the old set represented and what most people recognize as White House):

white-house-complex-3d-096427603_iconl3.

Just now, Kaanere said:

According to Zusammengebaut the set also contains the west and east wings of the White house, and not just the Executive residence (what the old set represented and what most people recognize as White House):

So it'll basically approximate the same footprint as the (equally boring) Capitol set.

49 minutes ago, Kaanere said:

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. I was hoping for a bigger executive residence so more detail could be put in there...

On 1/28/2020 at 8:16 AM, Lucarex said:

White House? Again? Zzzzz :hmpf_bad:

Ought to come with a clown minifig.

:laugh:

White House again is a bummer - I was really hoping for a Chrysler Building to go along with the Empire State Building. 

Adam Reed Tucker has broken off from Lego and has started a new company to produce sets.  His first three are FLW builds.  However, he is using a new brick, called the mini brick, approx. 3/4 size of the regular brick so he can get the detail he wants according to his web site.  Will be interesting to see how this affects the Architecture line as it would likely stop any FLW sets from being built if they entered into a contract with Tucker.  We all clamor for better buildings from around the world and he may fill that niche.  I am not sure right now...interesting times as product enters the market to hopefully see a better set of offerings from TLG.

4 hours ago, Herky said:

Adam Reed Tucker has broken off from Lego and has started a new company to produce sets.  His first three are FLW builds.  However, he is using a new brick, called the mini brick, approx. 3/4 size of the regular brick so he can get the detail he wants according to his web site.  Will be interesting to see how this affects the Architecture line as it would likely stop any FLW sets from being built if they entered into a contract with Tucker.  We all clamor for better buildings from around the world and he may fill that niche.  I am not sure right now...interesting times as product enters the market to hopefully see a better set of offerings from TLG.

Curious how these new sets will look.  Personally I don't want to buy non Lego sets but we'll see.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:21 PM, Kaanere said:

Correct; it's the west wing, the east wing, and the residence, with each wing being about 4 modules tall and 9 modules wide.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:25 PM, Herky said:

Thanks for the info.  A welcome development.  I suppose there are those whose first priority is Lego and then there are those of us whose first priority is interesting builds, regardless of the name on the box. 

I'm not surprised he's gone his own way (the Atom Brick) and partnered with the FLW foundation. Those sets look nice but I'd have  preferred to see them in Lego brick form.

The Architecture theme used to make gems such as Falling Water and Robie House. Then came were then sets some like Trevi Fountain and Guggenheim (latest) to balance architectural merit with commercial interest. Recently, other than Trafalgar Square, churning out dull uninspired stuff like a large scale Empire State Building and yet another White House, is a big let down. I don't mind the skyline series as a successful way to keep revenues up and maybe subsidise larger more interesting sets, but even those are creeping up in price, the Tokyo/Dubai sets now at 60 notes. There's been a bit of soul selling of the theme IMO.

Seems like the Atom Bricks all come in the same shapes as LEGO ones, so I suppose one could easily enough just translate the designs into LEGO bricks (depending on availability of certain colors - Unity Temple definitely uses a few part/color combos that aren't in LEGO's portfolio). But it does seem like this is the final nail for the Architecture theme being about, y'know, architecture, rather than tourism, if the FLW Foundation is taking their ball bricks elsewhere.

(Though the foolishly optimistic side of me wonders if maybe Atom could be so wildly successful that it forces LEGO to reconsider their approach in order to compete.)

Ordered all three FLW sets available from Atom Bricks.  I enjoy building and the subject matter is more important to me than exclusively collecting one brand.  I have all the Lego architecture sets, but that’s ended with the announcement of a boring large White house and the continuing release of what has come to define the architecture series.....skyline sets that look like they belong in a souvenir kiosk at the airport. 

I hadn't seen that the new FLW sets by Adam's new company were being discussed here, and just created a new thread about them.  Nonetheless, they look very interesting, and I had a chance to interview Adam about them. 

LINK TO INTERVIEW: https://brickarchitect.com/2020/adam-reed-tucker-the-atom-brick/

I'm hoping to build and review at least one of the sets soon!

Great interview, the answer to the question of what is next is exciting:  I can tell you that I’m working on Corbusier, [the] Charles and Ray Eames House, Barcelona Pavilion [by Mies van der Rohe], Glass House [by Philip Johnson], and just finished Saint Louis Arch by Eero Saarinen. I don’t think I’ll end up doing any Michael Graves work because … it’s virtually impossible to do out of bricks. [I might also] do some Bauhaus stuff.

Can't wait for the Arch, the one he did that sits in the Science Center here is huge and likely would be a $500 set if produced and I hope he gets to Taipei 101 at some point too.

There are so many famous iconic buildings (and ones that would sell if done in LEGO) on this planet that they don't need to go back and redo the White House.

How about something new like the Jefferson Memorial?

It's beginning to get frustrating how many buildings are re-done .

Effectively have 3 ESBs with the Skyline, 2 of both the John Hancock and Willis buildings, 2 Guggenheim's, 2 Whitehouses, 3 Burj Khalifa's, 2 Eiffel Towers, 2 Brandenburg gates, 2 Flat Irons, etc.

They aren't all the most exciting buildings in the first place - Lego really needs a rethink on this