Herky

Lego Architecture 2020

So we know we have these 2 coming out:  

LEGO Architecture 21051 Tokyo Skyline - 547 parts - 59.99 euros

Tokyo probably offers so many possibilities that the designers had a very difficult choice. However, you have, among other things, the building of the "Tokyo Tower", "Fashion Gakuen Cocoon Towers", and the "Tokyo Skytrees" very well modeled. Between the towers, there are still several Japanese cherry blossom trees and a small selection of colorful buildings (these are supposed to represent the huge advertising displays).

LEGO Architecture 21052 Dubai Skyline - 740 pieces - 59,99 Euro

Even in Dubai, the selection of buildings must have been difficult. But with the "Jumeirah Emirates Tower", "Dubai Frame", "Burj Khalifa" and the "Burj Al Arab", the skyline of Dubai is unmistakable.

Will be interesting to see what buildings/landmarks might come out as well.  I know there is a FaceBook Lego Architecture page with all sorts of MOC's and the like on there, lots of great ideas that TLG could use for sets.

Thank you very much for this information, Herky! :classic:

For sure the skylines will look brilliant. Only the price is for my taste too huge.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:39 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you very much for this information, Herky! :classic:

For sure the skylines will look brilliant. Only the price is for my taste too huge.

It does seem Architecture sets are getting pricier and quite interesting they are the same price despite one being 740 pieces and one is 547.  200 pieces to me would make Tokyo at least 10 if not 20 cheaper. 

The Tokyo set doesn’t disappoint, it’s gorgeous! Whilst it doesn’t have any significant cultural or even aesthetic appeal to me personally, I have to admit the Dubai set also looks well done. And are those chrome gold pieces I spy?

Those prices though! 60 notes. Ouch. Sure London raised the bar quite a bit from sweet spot 30s to 40s, and then Shanghai hit the mid 50s, but this is pushing things a bit too far IMO. I’ll still get Tokyo but through gritted teeth.

Edited by Lucarex

Tokyo looks great, although it bothers me slightly that the Skytree isn't to scale. It should be almost twice as tall as the Tokyo Tower:

Spoiler

tokyo-tower-vs-sky-tree-vector-id1207652

Anyways, it's great that they put a bit of Japanese traditional architecture, even if they're dwarfed by the towers. The mini Mount Fuji at the background is a nice touch too.

From left to right, I think that the buildings in Tokyo are: the Sensoji temple Pagoda, Tokyo Tower, Mode Gauken Cocoon Tower, Zohoji Temple, Mt. Fuji, Shibuya crossing (?), Skytree, (I can't identify the building at the far right).

Edited by Kaanere

Tokyo is definitely the standout of these two.  I don't have any connection to either of these cities so I'm not currently tempted by them.

I really hoping for a Chrysler Building next year to go along with the Empire State Building...

13 minutes ago, thenightman89 said:

I really hoping for a Chrysler Building next year to go along with the Empire State Building...

Me too. The Chrysler is such a beautiful building, such a shame they chose the dull ESB based on it being more tourist “iconic” of NYC.

3 hours ago, thenightman89 said:

Tokyo is definitely the standout of these two.  I don't have any connection to either of these cities so I'm not currently tempted by them.

Couldn't agree more on either count.

_IF_ I got for either of these new sets (and that's questionable as I'm suffering from a bit of "Skyline Fatigue" at this point) Tokyo wins hands down.  I appreciate the effort in Dubai set, but it just doesn't do it for me.  The Tokyo set at least feels fresh, and seems to want to convey a sense of an ever-evolving culture with its mix of old and new architecture and Mt Fuji in the background.

As for the Chrysler Building, I've wanted them to tackle that ever since the first ESB came out in the first wave, and the best we've seen so far is a tiny attempt nestled into a skyline set that was far too small to do justice to the building or the Art Deco movement that inspired it.

I just spent several hours looking critically at these two sets (21051 Tokyo & 21052 Dubai) to offer a more detailed preview of what to expect when they are available on January 1. This includes highlighting some of the creative parts usages, new parts, printed elements, and the relative scale of the buildings in the model.

The thing that surprised me most is that the scale looked way off in the Dubai model (Burj Al Arab looked too large to my eye) but it's actually pretty accurate—I did the math!

For a much deeper look, please check out my article at:
https://brickarchitect.com/2019/preview-21051-tokyo-21052-dubai-skyline/

Sincerely,
---tom

18 hours ago, thenightman89 said:

Thanks, Tom! Really appreciate all the work you do over at Brick Architect!

Echo that sentiment!

If you live in Canada, you might want to check your local Toys R Us.  Apparently they already have the skyline sets for sale.  A member in the FB Lego Architecture group posted his purchase of Tokyo today and said he got it there.  Good luck!

Edited by Herky

As much as I love the Tokyo set...seriously unimpressed with the extra 10 (>20%) price increase over last year’s San Fran/Paris skylines which had identical if not greater part count :hmpf_bad:

On 12/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, Lucarex said:

As much as I love the Tokyo set...seriously unimpressed with the extra 10 (>20%) price increase over last year’s San Fran/Paris skylines which had identical if not greater part count :hmpf_bad:

I agree, but that is what seems to be the trend for Lego.  I thought they went to this plant based brick creation to keep the costs down, but it doesn't seem to be happening.  Take the new modular as well, over 2500 pieces but it will be the shortest and smallest building they have ever done.  That tells me there are a lot of 1x1 pieces that get charged at a premium.  Could have likely done the same thing at 2000 pieces instead then.  Piece counts go up but they aren't big pieces.  2020 may be my last year with skylines and just get the bigger landmark and buildings...if they ever produce more.

I forgot to add links in this thread to my reviews of both #21051 Tokyo & #21052 Dubai Skyline sets!  To make a long story short, Tokyo was a bit of a disappointment, and Dubai exceeded my modest expectations.  

Nonetheless, here are the two reviews, and a few highlights from each article...

opengraph-21051-LEGO_Tokyo_Skyline-620x3
ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ: #21051 Tokyo Skyline

The Tokyo Skyline set looked great from the initial photos, but upon closer inspection, it is a bit of a dud.  My main critiques were the unsatisfying building techniques for the Tokyo Tower, the over-reliance on printed parts, the disconnect between physical geography and the layout of the model, and the disregard for historic architecture by not picking specific historic buildings to re-create. 

Nonetheless, many people will still enjoy it, as it looks nice on the bookshelf die to brightly colored components and a pleasing overall effect.

opengraph-21052-LEGO_Dubai_Skyline-640x336.jpg
ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ: #21052 Dubai Skyline

By Contrast, the Dubai Skyline exceeded my expectations!  The model feels sparse compared to Tokyo, but this is faithful to a city where each building is pretty far apart. The city is not very walkable; it's a dust-covered landscape dotted with impressive buildings and connected by roads and railways.  The LEGO models are cleverly built, especially the models on either end: Jumeirah Emirates Towers on the left, and Burj Al Arab on the right.

It's harder to tell how popular it will ultimately be—Dubai is a world class destination, so I suspect it will be popular with the diverse global audience which visits this unique city!

I hope you enjoyed these mini reviews, and have a chance to read the longer versions.  I'd love to know your thoughts too—Did you have different impressions after building these sets?

Sincerely,

—Tom Alphin

On 1/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, henrysunset said:

I forgot to add links in this thread to my reviews of both #21051 Tokyo & #21052 Dubai Skyline sets!  To make a long story short, Tokyo was a bit of a disappointment, and Dubai exceeded my modest expectations.  

Nonetheless, here are the two reviews, and a few highlights from each article...

[snip]

Sincerely,

—Tom Alphin

Thanks Tom, always look out for your reviews.

Must admit my first impression was very taken with Tokyo which is on its way, but left cold by Dubai. From what I’ve read elsewhere, the Dubai build is ok if repetitive and dull, and it’s obvious the Golden Arch is a fairly poor brick representation. 

I guess the vibrancy and composition of Tokyo just appeals, as does the cultural nods, like the temple, sakura trees and Mount Fuji. Dubai as in real life just feels sterile in comparison.

Each to their own I guess!

15 hours ago, legojapan said:

architecture promotional set「Sakura Tree」review.

At the increased 59.99, that should be a GWP with Tokyo worldwide not a local promotional set. :hmpf_bad:

All my new sets are being delivered today, looking forward to building them - I need to get hold of the Lego House Architecture set as only one I don't have in the collection - annoying it is only available in Billund!

What are people's thoughts on the Old Trafford set? This could almost be an Architecture set as it is basically what it is

LEGO_OldTrafford_4.jpg

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/old-trafford-manchester-united-10272

Got the Tokyo set, as I am trying to get the ones of places I have visited so I have Sydney aswell. I really like it the only disappointing things is the colouring of the Tokyo Skytree (tallest of the towers). The Black parts on it should be a dark silver, not sure if there is an equivalent in Lego's colour chart though.

5 hours ago, Fairsy said:

What are people's thoughts on the Old Trafford set? This could almost be an Architecture set as it is basically what it is

Creator Expert and Archictecture have overlap in subject matter for sure, but for now, it seems they keep those 2500+ piece sets under Creator Expert.