Bricks-on-Rails

Question about PF Remote Control 64227

Good evening together,

Today i have a question to the community. For a new idea i have to collect some further information about the train remote-control 64227. I know there are around 14 steps to control the speed of a train. -7 => +7 (seven reverse and seven forward). But how many degrees will i turn the wheel from -7 to +7? I know it´s endless and in most cases it doesn´t matter, but in this special case i need to know as exact as possible. Does anybody know the degree per step too?

64227c01.png

With kind regards

Martin

This is the PF 8879 remote, right?

Before diving into calculations/measurements, what exactly do you want to accomplish? When you turn that dial to the "next" position (or swiftly to a couple more), the remote sends out (4 times) an "increase power by one" to the receiver. So even when you know the exact angle for firing this message, you will not know whether the remote sent it out correctly nor the receiver got it correctly - the step up/down command that is. So even when you know precisely the dial position on the remote, the receiving unit may be off, when missing such a message - or the remote not being able to track your swift changes, as it was busy with repeating 4 times the detected change on the dial. You need to use other means to absolutely submit "set power to x units" commands, such as HiTechnic sensors along with an NXT or other custom (e.g. Arduino based) approaches. Well as far as I know that is.

However, when you are sure about flawless one-way communication (slow enough) to a PF receiver, then the calculations may begin.

Is that so?

Best
Thorsten 

Hey hey ...

we need the dials contacts as well to kick-off exact trigonometry ...

BTW what is that black thing doing, apparently torturing the IR LED?:tongue:

Nice photograph!

Best
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

BTW what is that black thing doing, apparently torturing the IR LED?:tongue:

Looks suspiciously like a logic analyzer probe. Or maybe a weird oscilloscope probe?