Madoca 1977

[MOC] Vintage Monster Truck - instruction available

Hello everyone.

As a monster truck MOC was one of my earliest creations, the time has come to remake it!

800x450.jpg

Weight: 2030g

- Powered by 2 SBricks

- 4 XL motors for propulsion

- 2 Servo motor for steering

- M motor for switching steering mode (normal/crab)

- M motor for raising front hood and rear bed

- LED lights for headlights

- Openable doors and tailgate

Those old-school power functions components still work sufficiently in this MOC.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The body was inspired by 80's monster trucks made from lifted and modified Ford pickup trucks.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The under structure was designed for robustness. Eventually it looks more like modern tubular chassis.
There could be multiple options for the sets of dual shocks. (Hard/Soft, Hard only, H/H, S/S)
800x450.jpg

Vertically placed M motor moves Polarity Switch connected to rear Servo motor.
Horizontally placed M motor is for two functions. Front hood opens via worm and 24T gear. On the other hand rear bed is raised via small actuator. That requires two driven axles of different torque and rotational speed for each side. Center differential enables single motor to transmit the power to both sides.
800x450.jpg

One of the benefits of portal hub is easy to change gear ratio.

800x450.jpg

Body parts could be replaced with different color scheme, though they are not fully modular.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

On November 2nd and 3rd, Monster Jam live was held in Japan for the second time. I did go to the event and took photos of amazing real monster trucks and drivers.

Thank you, Bari Musawwir and Neil Elliott!

800x450.jpg

Building instructions available at Rebrickable.

Edited by Madoca 1977

I love the classic look of the body! Many clever solutions under the hood as well - especially using the differencial to run two separate functions. I am surprised that swivelling gear rack for steering works! Was it really necessary to use so many shock absorbers? I guess the body was to shaky if not...

Under fine work of engineering! Congratulations.

Best regards,

miha

17 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Was it really necessary to use so many shock absorbers? I guess the body was to shaky if not...

Thank you for watching! I wanted to use dual shocks only because its look. As the black version does, using single hard shock for each wheel is enough to hold the body. But dual soft shocks was a little bit unstable.

Excellent work! Incredible how many functions you manage to pack in such a clean build! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Didumos69

I love the old school body ! It looks amazing, well done !

Did you plan to make instructions for a manuel version ?

Alot of accolades will be coming your way for your build.  But let me add this.  8 motors, 2 Sbricks, all for just over 2000 grams????!! I hope folks recognize how amazing that is.....

This is just too cool! You nailed the classic look. Just how I imagined it when reading the thread title and then some. Would realy like to build this. Now, where did I put those shock absorbers from the 8880...

Such a beauty! Love that boxy look of it. There's no shortage of power with 4 XL motors, I suppose?:sweet:

Wow, really cools MOCs. Who cares about 41999 when you can build this! I foresee an instant drop of the rip off prices on eBay. :tongue:

Thank you as always for providing instructions. Much appreciated!

Oh wow !

This is exellent, stunning looks and great performance.

Love this :wub:

Last night I visited the studio of my friend rm8. We made a review of my Monster Truck!

Now we arrived Moscow and will join the event of Russian Technic fans.

Instruction will be available after coming back to Japan.

800x600.jpg
800x601.jpg

Edited by Madoca 1977