Carefree_Dude

Do Big Ben wheels need added traction?

2 hours ago, Carefree_Dude said:

That is a wonderful method! I wouldn't have even considered using a lego motor for the spinning. How have your BBB wheels held up after almost 10 years? 

@Toastie 's method worked well for me, wheels are still good. Using just a small angled file and a locked down Lego motor essentially.

@Toastie I did my first XL wheel using your method. I used my power drill and a cheap file I got from the hardware store. It took a while (close to 10 minutes straight) but it worked out amazingly! 

20 hours ago, Carefree_Dude said:

@Toastie I did my first XL wheel using your method. I used my power drill and a cheap file I got from the hardware store. It took a while (close to 10 minutes straight) but it worked out amazingly! 

What size o-ring are you using on the XL wheels? I have a set on order from BBB and would like to get some o-rings on order as well.

Dave

18 hours ago, bogieman said:

What size o-ring are you using on the XL wheels?

It really depends on your groove. Should you decide to make that rather narrow, then the O-ring should fit well with regard to nominal thickness and diameter; you would order a ring that simply matches the wheel size. When that groove is a little "flexible" in width/depth (as you see fit when making it), then stretching the ring narrows its thickness. I would go with:

Nominal diameter of O-ring (relaxed) = diameter of wheel/1.25. Then make a groove that matches the O-ring thickness when stretched. This gives you again flexibility - I'd suggest 1.5 to 2 mm thickness O-rings (relaxed).

So you order a 1.5 mm x [wheeldiameter/1.25 mm] O-ring, for example:wink:

All the best,
Thorsten