harpoon

Lego IR Reveiver (v1) upgrade

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone attempted to "upgrade" the V1 receiver to have higher drive capability ?

I am looking to "mod" the v1 Printed Circuit Board by replacing the weaker H-bridge chip with the one in the V2 receiver (TI chip). Probably flip the TI chip on its back and manually solder wires to the right places.

Thoughts anyone ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you happen to have both part numbers you can have a look at the datasheet :) Often H-bridges have similar pinouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, the V1 IR receivers are able to drive 2 XL motor on one channel and a servo or M motor on the other channel at the same time so I've never needed to mod them. I wouldn't mod them anyways, they wouldn't be LEGO if I modded them.
Regardless, there are plenty of H-Bridge chips on the market and they ain't expensive, find one the is able to provide enough current and give it a go. If you do, try it on a old receiver first and see if it if works, if so order more IC's and mod the rest of them.

Edited by MxWinters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK thanks ... I have the 9398 crawler (minus the V2 Rx), but have the V1 receiver and it is unable to drive the L motors and servo.

Will keep you guys posted ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for it. I'd be interested to see the results. 
Perhaps even modify the technic battery pack to include a rechargable battery with higher voltage instead of 6 AA batteries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another way to do this if you want to keep it simple..  First of all, you can purchase a 2.4ghz wifi China controller and receiver for a cheap price and you can use Nizn batteries rated at 1.6 volts each !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2.4GHz setup already ... using 11.1V LiPo batteries to drive the L-motors with an external ESC and a typical RC servo. That works quite well. Here, i’m trying to stick to the classic Lego build.

I opened up the IR rx ... and it is not easy to take the board out to do the component swap ... so on to ...

Plan B ... will use the IR receiver’s h-bridge to drive an external h-bridge. Just need to cut a PF extension cable in 2. Seems easy enough ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you could also desolder the PF cable from the board to connect something else in between if you already opened up your IR receiver.

[diy_led3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why go with LEGO based electronic stuff anymore?

I mean going that far, I'd skip the whole cumbersome LEGO electronics. Make it smart, so that it recognizes (among others) PF/PuP signals, but go nuts.

But then: Are we leaving ground? I believe so. It touches some - if not essential - rules. Or even "moral".

Do you feel like that? To be honest: I don't.

(And to be honest again: I feel like one of the worst individual in the world, because I ordered the Black Pearl - for €39 ... guess from where ... but then: You - and I break into LEGO products as if it were - fun. At the same time, I feel like being shafted when ordering a model many of the LEGO gurus out there making nice videos depict the original Pearl rated at $300+ as: Way too expensive)

Man.

I know, it is a luxury issue in real life. But within EB it is core of the matter.

All the best
Thorsten 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, harpoon said:

Plan B ... will use the IR receiver’s h-bridge to drive an external h-bridge. Just need to cut a PF extension cable in 2. Seems easy enough

I tried that once, but stopped at the breadboard prototype. Used the Lego IR receiver's output PWM to trigger external H bridge. Used a transistor based circuit to switch 9V voltage level to 4.5V for both direction and PWM of external bridge. My external bridge supported upto 20V/6A, so I had some fun driving an L motor at higher voltages. But I chickened out at 15V. All Lego motors are too expensive for sacrificing to science :hmpf_bad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, iLego said:

I tried that once, but stopped at the breadboard prototype. Used the Lego IR receiver's output PWM to trigger external H bridge. Used a transistor based circuit to switch 9V voltage level to 4.5V for both direction and PWM of external bridge. My external bridge supported upto 20V/6A, so I had some fun driving an L motor at higher voltages. But I chickened out at 15V. All Lego motors are too expensive for sacrificing to science :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the idea. I was just going to use a resistive divider to drop the 9V signal down ... but I think I have some level shifters lying around that may do the job.

21 hours ago, Toastie said:

Why go with LEGO based electronic stuff anymore?

I mean going that far, I'd skip the whole cumbersome LEGO electronics. Make it smart, so that it recognizes (among others) PF/PuP signals, but go nuts.

But then: Are we leaving ground? I believe so. It touches some - if not essential - rules. Or even "moral".

Do you feel like that? To be honest: I don't.

(And to be honest again: I feel like one of the worst individual in the world, because I ordered the Black Pearl - for €39 ... guess from where ... but then: You - and I break into LEGO products as if it were - fun. At the same time, I feel like being shafted when ordering a model many of the LEGO gurus out there making nice videos depict the original Pearl rated at $300+ as: Way too expensive)

Man.

I know, it is a luxury issue in real life. But within EB it is core of the matter.

All the best
Thorsten 

Actually, the Lego servo is pretty neat ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.