Sign in to follow this  
Maxim I

[ESL - CLASS 8] Princesse Margot - a 74 gun Third Rate

Those following me on Flickr may have noted a few weeks ago the recently published Gotheborg (can be found in the Pirate MOC's forum) is not the only ship I recently finished.

Based on the beautifull Danish warship "Wenden", launched in 1706, I present to you the "Princesse Margot".

It is the better version of my first big ship, the "Margot". Comparing the two, I think I may say my building skills have improved a lot :pir-blush:

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

49007697343_e560afbe6a_c.jpg

49007623888_7b6031480f_z.jpg

49007622443_628f1e2d94_z.jpg

49008367582_fc3bee3208_c.jpg

49008156136_e31b73dce1_c.jpg

49007623798_dfc6eaa69d_c.jpg

49008368752_28ac4e439e_c.jpg

49008368367_46cddc1500_c.jpg

49008156551_3cdcf9caee_c.jpg

49008367927_1dcd27e2b9_c.jpg

The rigging was really painfull again.

Thanks to the BeLUG pirate crew for feedback during the process!

As a bonus, the picture together with the Gotheborg I posted a month ago :) Both of them will be showed at Brick Mania Antwerp (30th November & 1st December in Antwerp, Belgium)

48805042091_9d030467f5_c.jpg

Another bonus as I discovered someone filmed both ships at Skaerbaek Fan Weekend :)

Thanks for watching! C & C really appreciated!

Don't expect another one next week, I have no big vessels in drydock anymore. But I might have an idea what will be next, probably a supreme version of ANOTHER ship :wink:

Edited by Maxim I

Wow.  I have been looking at all the little details for 10 minutes straight.

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

Exactly!! :wub:

Beautiful ship. She should be honored. :pir-wink:

I think it would look better if you used some gold decorations. :grin:

I'm impressed that you built something that massive on a prefab hull, without making it look all funny. :thumbup: The headrails are nice and I like how you've used the masonry pieces turned around on the broadsides. The shrouds/ratlines are... glued? That seems more sensible than knotting, but it must surely take patience.

Good work. :classic:

Looked at this early in the evening...

At the moment, the Andromeda, Arkham Chaser and all my others ships are packing their bags in search for a better builder...

the stern is a masterpiece

Outstanding work! 

As Captain Dee said above, it's quite something to build such a large ship on prefabs, she's an absolute beauty, how many prefab sections does she have? i tried tocount them but they are too well concealed, with all the plates to widen the hull.

Though the use of masonry bricks isn't entirely new, but I think they look better on a model of this size. And all these golden decorations on the stern are really eye-catching, fit well to the ship you used as reference, as ships of early 18th century were richely ornated and looked more colourful.

All in all, a very nice ship and a succesful successor to your Margot the First.:thumbup:

I would have said something earlier, but my jaw was on the floor. :wink:

Just stunning. I like to make Lego ships. Other people make ships out of Legos. What you've done here surpasses both. Incredible. :thumbup:

We're not worthy!

What a ship!  Magnificent scale and amazing detail with the rigging, sloping sides, stern decorations, and I could go on!  Great job. 

Amazing ship. What a magnificent beauty. The golden ornaments, the rigging and the majestic look of this beast is truly amazing. I think people would pay good money for this ship to be in a shelfcase in their houses.

Well, I must admit I wasn't quite sure how you were going to make this better than the last version of the Margot, but you've certainly managed it - this thing is amazing! :wub:  I'm loving the new/fuller sailplan, and as others have mentioned, that rigging and the masonry brick texture both look fantastic.  I'm quite curious about those ratlines though - is gluing them any easier than tying them?  I've always tied them myself, and it certainly can get a bit tedious :grin:

Breathtaking... You truly aced this one, Maxim. The dark red, pearl gold, and dark tan go so well together and the accents are superb. The rigging, sails, and the curves are all perfect and with the colors and accents, it creates a beautiful ship. I've seen the masonry bricks used before, but this may be one of the most fitting color schemes I've seen for them. Not to mention I love how much you added to the stern, it really completes the ship.

Like I said before, excellent job. This behemoth is a true beauty. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to go look at the pictures on more time :wub_drool:

That's incredible,...and very speccy indeed. That's what I am talking about,....as a partner set for the upcoming Pirate island.

Just fabulous looking "Ships of the Line". :jollyroger:

On 11/3/2019 at 9:43 PM, Kwatchi said:

It makes me happy that the details are being enjoyed :pir-blush:

On 11/3/2019 at 11:25 PM, Captain Dee said:

Exactly!! :wub:

Beautiful ship. She should be honored. :pir-wink:

I think it would look better if you used some gold decorations. :grin:

I'm impressed that you built something that massive on a prefab hull, without making it look all funny. :thumbup: The headrails are nice and I like how you've used the masonry pieces turned around on the broadsides. The shrouds/ratlines are... glued? That seems more sensible than knotting, but it must surely take patience.

Good work. :classic:

She will be honoured :sweet: Too bad I promised the real Margot (aka my wife) not to display LEGO in our living room :cry_sad:

I think this must be the max considering proportions one can build on a prefab hull. It was a constant progress of building, breaking down a part, rebuilding, modifying, breaking down, ... . (check the end of the comment for a remark about this)
Thanks for the words!

On 11/3/2019 at 11:41 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Looked at this early in the evening...

At the moment, the Andromeda, Arkham Chaser and all my others ships are packing their bags in search for a better builder...

the stern is a masterpiece

If you ever need help or feedback, I would be more than happy to discuss that stuff with you :)

On 11/4/2019 at 12:56 AM, Bodi said:

Outstanding work! 

As Captain Dee said above, it's quite something to build such a large ship on prefabs, she's an absolute beauty, how many prefab sections does she have? i tried tocount them but they are too well concealed, with all the plates to widen the hull.

Though the use of masonry bricks isn't entirely new, but I think they look better on a model of this size. And all these golden decorations on the stern are really eye-catching, fit well to the ship you used as reference, as ships of early 18th century were richely ornated and looked more colourful.

All in all, a very nice ship and a succesful successor to your Margot the First.:thumbup:

6, what is in my opinion absolutely the max one can build on prefabs (for this type of vessels, maybe more modern vessels still could be built on more prefabs). Widening the hull is an important part of the choice of how long to make a vessel. If you are around the 1/4 ratio, the result will look satisfying.

It is indeed a huge difference between this vessel and the Gotheborg, even the difference in time was only 32 years. I prefer the early 18th century vessels thanks to their rich ornaments and gold touches.

It just struck me that Margot "the First" was only 3 years old. I always considered her at least 4 years old, maybe even 5. It makes it more nice to see the difference I made in 3 years

On 11/4/2019 at 5:45 AM, Capt Wolf said:

I would have said something earlier, but my jaw was on the floor. :wink:

Just stunning. I like to make Lego ships. Other people make ships out of Legos. What you've done here surpasses both. Incredible. :thumbup:

We're not worthy!

Hope you found your jaw back haha :laugh:

Nice words coming from someone I consider a very good shipbuilder, so thanks!

On 11/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, Kai NRG said:

What a ship!  Magnificent scale and amazing detail with the rigging, sloping sides, stern decorations, and I could go on!  Great job. 

Thanks! :D

On 11/4/2019 at 3:03 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

I true beauty! Such scale and detail! Fantastic work @Maxim I

Thanks as well! I hope it inspires you for new big ships :)

On 11/4/2019 at 4:57 PM, Fraunces said:

Amazing ship. What a magnificent beauty. The golden ornaments, the rigging and the majestic look of this beast is truly amazing. I think people would pay good money for this ship to be in a shelfcase in their houses.

Thanks for the nice words! No clue and I have even no clue what a nice price would be for something like that. The amount of bricks is one thing, but the time put into is huge. Anyway, that one is not for sale haha :D

18 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Well, I must admit I wasn't quite sure how you were going to make this better than the last version of the Margot, but you've certainly managed it - this thing is amazing! :wub:  I'm loving the new/fuller sailplan, and as others have mentioned, that rigging and the masonry brick texture both look fantastic.  I'm quite curious about those ratlines though - is gluing them any easier than tying them?  I've always tied them myself, and it certainly can get a bit tedious :grin:

There were a lot of rookie mistakes in the original Margot. She had her charms, but I was not happy with a part of the curve. So everytime I saw the vessel, I thought "hmm, that could be better and I could do this and that". Untill I could not hold it anymore and destroyed her.

Let's hope I won't have the same feeling in 3 years haha :grin:

About the ratlines, for the original Margot, I tied them and I remember it was a lot of precious stupid work. And the result was not that satisfying in my opinion. Gluing is quicker once you find the right procede. If you put in the next ratline after gluing the previous one, you'll throw the MOC against the wall sooner than you might think haha. It is better to first put all ratlines, then move them all up and glue the lowest place. Put down the lowest ratline to that place and glue the second lowest place and so on and so on. (I hope that makes a bit sense??)

4 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Breathtaking... You truly aced this one, Maxim. The dark red, pearl gold, and dark tan go so well together and the accents are superb. The rigging, sails, and the curves are all perfect and with the colors and accents, it creates a beautiful ship. I've seen the masonry bricks used before, but this may be one of the most fitting color schemes I've seen for them. Not to mention I love how much you added to the stern, it really completes the ship.

Like I said before, excellent job. This behemoth is a true beauty. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to go look at the pictures on more time :wub_drool:

Superglad you enjoyed this mate!

3 hours ago, PBRStreetgang said:

That's incredible,...and very speccy indeed. That's what I am talking about,....as a partner set for the upcoming Pirate island.

Just fabulous looking "Ships of the Line". :jollyroger:

The pirates on that Pirate Island won't be a match for this ship haha :pir-laugh: But I am looking forward to that set though, so indeed a great idea to put them next to eachother :wink:

-------

Replying to those awesome comments, it realised me I want to share 2 points of advice for those of you wanting to make a nice big ship

1) take your time, sometimes I left it on the table for 2 months. During that period I constantly thought what could be better and how I could do it

2) make one side at a time. It makes it easier to rebuild a part. And when building the other side, you sometimes suddenly have better ideas.

Edited by Maxim I

Sorry for the double post, just found out someone filmed both vessels at Skaerbaek Fan Weekend:

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:03 AM, Maxim I said:

I want to share 2 points of advice for those of you wanting to make a nice big ship

1) take your time, sometimes I left it on the table for 2 months. During that period I constantly thought what could be better and how I could do it

2) make one side at a time. It makes it easier to rebuild a part. And when building the other side, you sometimes suddenly have better ideas.

I'll second this advice. Although my ships aren't anywhere close to as big or complex or beautiful as Maxim's, I've found both of these points to be true.

Really cool. Guess it's the biggest boat I've ever seen.
For some reason I always like those kind of boats, and this one looks very good too, and big!.
I really like, besides the whole ship, above all the back of the boat. the Balcony's, the color scheme (actually the whole boat) and all those little decorations, lobsters upside down, wings, flowers, feathers ... nice, forms a nice one whole (hope it's correct english)

ps. what are those things above the lanterns on the back? some kind of crown?

and ... I'm curious about the measurements. Comparing with a figure I ques it's about >70cm long? 

Edited by neonic

Definitely one of the best LEGO ships I've seen! :wub: Absolutely tremendous amount of detail all round, and impressive size! Love the dark red and gold stern too.