Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

CHALLENGE IV: Category B: Garden in Barqa

Throughout Barqa the wealthy merchants and craftsmen of the city like to have a small walled garden on their property. The climate here where the Arkbri river meets the sea is favorable for the cultivation of many kinds of flowers, and many merchants take pride in their collection of exotic plants.

49005558943_4d67c66d3f_c.jpg
Walled garden of Barqa

Barqa is known for its black cats, and those who like the cats (or dislike rats?) make sure to have small doors for the cats to pass unhindered.

49005558798_1d369bc7dd_c.jpg
Barqan cat door

Additional images:

49005595503_81b6943e0a_c.jpg
Without figures

49006308922_db438e00ee_c.jpg
Flowers

My entry for Guilds of Historica Book III Challenge IV, Category B.

Such a lovely and vivid build, Sir Gideon.

I would take pride of my collection of exotic plants if they looked like this. But maintaining this sort of vegetation in Mitgardia is a task most certainly to go wrong.
I love your tree technique with sprouts coming out of the leaf piece. It sure gives a marvelous effect to it. The roofing is spectacular! I like the mixing of magenta/terrain colors. 

Using the crown piece as a vase is a great idea, specially in this color. 

Very inspiring and beautiful build.

Cheers!

This is gorgeous.  I love the use of the various brown shades for texture, and the plant pieces on the limb piece really looks great, especially with the birds.  I'm also a fan of the old style window shutters; I think they are more elegant than the new large clip style.  The use of the crown is ingenious, and the beautiful flowers look fantastic.  I am also amused by the cat door!  Great job!  I hope you have a Category A to post before the end of the day!

Sweet little vignette.  I like the use of the crown for a flower pot.  The flowers are all well done.  The roof is nice, I like the use of the rounds and the plates looks good.  The birds in the tree bring some life to the build.  The wall has some nice texturing too.  

Very smooth use of the crown!  Love that tree too and the little cat door.  And the roof with the alternating round bricks and cheese slopes looks perfect!

The cat idea is very cute, the wall texturing is nice and the plants look very real! By the way do you know what set that cat came in?

Absolutely stunning Gideon..I am enjoying looking at all the details. I really enjoy that you have spent years fleshing out Barqa and the land around it..

Love pretty much everything about this, the colourscheme, the attention to detail and the contrast between the smooth tree/plants and the architecture of the building. Just awesome work man :wub:

Very pretty, I knew at once it was yours, and also recognized it as Barqa :wink: . My favorite part is the tree, so lush and real looking! 

Your civilian scenes continue to impress, Gideon! With winter almost around the corner, I wish I could just walk straight into this warm, idyllic little place... :wub::thumbup:

Lovely detailed build here! And it reinforces that I need to get more of those newer vegetation elements, they are lovely!

Wow, that's beautiful. :wub:

The photography is splendid as always, and while you're certainly a master of the more elaborate Barqa builds, you also do extremely well with relatively simple techniques such as those used here. That tree... that tree just makes every other LEGO tree look pathetic. (alternately :excited: and :cry2: ) :wink: The crown as flowerpot is brilliant, and the other plants look really nice, too. And that cat door is certainly creative.

The roof design is new to me, and looks pretty good, if perhaps a bit part intensive, but who am I to talk in that regard... (try doing an entire roof in that same orientation with MDF-colored small sound plates! :grin: ) Paired with dark orange, it looks fantastic. I have been wanting to pair those colors in a roof, and having now seen it done I really need to get on with it.

Large or small, your Barqa builds have all been very appealing. Keep it up. :classic:

A small and beautiful creation! Despite its size, you managed once again to put a lot of details in your built!

I really enjoyed the outcome of the tree and the way you built the wall and the roof!

Great effort!

On 11/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, Eoin Wallace said:

The cat idea is very cute, the wall texturing is nice and the plants look very real! By the way do you know what set that cat came in?

Yeah! That cat idea is sooo cute! <3

Thanks guys! :thumbup:
Feels great to be back building after a too long break, even if my pace right now still is about a build this size every other month...

On 11/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, Eoin Wallace said:

It came in some sets in the late 90s and early 00s (https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=6251&colorID=11&in=A). Mine is from 2872.

A glimpse of paradise amongst the coming winter gloom. Such an elegant little scene. Really digging the roof style here. 

Foliage here is beautiful Gideon.  1/2 stud offset for the 2nd story window adds a ton of character too.  Are those rounded 1x2 plates in the soil/base?

On 12/29/2019 at 9:43 PM, mrcp6d said:

Are those rounded 1x2 plates in the soil/base?

Yes, I got some of those in the recent bulk as potential texture parts and I'm trying out some different uses for them now :classic:

Oh goodness those terra cotta roofs and tree are gorgeous! :wub:
Both the low wall and building make great use of the HP arches :thumbup: