ProfSrlojohn

New Train builder

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. I'm a relatively new to train building, and I would appreciate any tips you can give me!

I currently own these train sets.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=60238-1#T=I

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=7499-1#T=I

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=75955-1#T=I

All of which bought for the express purpose of building trains.

 

Thanks for your time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you have a good start.  I picked up two of the 75955 and with a few of my own pieces was able to make a nice moc.  If you want to motorize then you need to make some adjustments to the tender and add the motor and such.  Suggest you decide if you want PF 1 or PF 2 (power functions).  PF 2 is blue tooth so that's kinda cool.  I'm sticking with PF 1 as that is what all my stuff is already.  

Suggest you step back and make a few guidelines before getting into this too far.  Are you wanting 8 stud wide trains or 6?  Lot of builders making mocs now at 8 studs wide.  Do you want to run freight or passenger trains?  I like passenger and that is what you have above.  How much room do you have for track work?  See you have some switches, assume for a passing siding for your Harry Potter station.  If I were stating out, I would get the newest blue and yellow passenger train.  It comes with a motor, battery box and controller.  Even has a little bit of track. Could get a feel for things with this entry set and then re-purpose bricks and controls into your own mocs.  Try not to get too complicated in the beginning.  Nothing more frustrating then a train that constantly derails due to fancy track work.....keep it simple at least a first.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Looks like you have a good start.  I picked up two of the 75955 and with a few of my own pieces was able to make a nice moc.  If you want to motorize then you need to make some adjustments to the tender and add the motor and such.  Suggest you decide if you want PF 1 or PF 2 (power functions).  PF 2 is blue tooth so that's kinda cool.  I'm sticking with PF 1 as that is what all my stuff is already.  

Suggest you step back and make a few guidelines before getting into this too far.  Are you wanting 8 stud wide trains or 6?  Lot of builders making mocs now at 8 studs wide.  Do you want to run freight or passenger trains?  I like passenger and that is what you have above.  How much room do you have for track work?  See you have some switches, assume for a passing siding for your Harry Potter station.  If I were stating out, I would get the newest blue and yellow passenger train.  It comes with a motor, battery box and controller.  Even has a little bit of track. Could get a feel for things with this entry set and then re-purpose bricks and controls into your own mocs.  Try not to get too complicated in the beginning.  Nothing more frustrating then a train that constantly derails due to fancy track work.....keep it simple at least a first.

 

 

 

Thanks for the help!

 

To be honest, I don't have any preferences at all, and I've already scrapped the HP train for parts. 8 studs I'd guess, judging by the fee models I've made. As for kind of train, no particular kind. I was almost thinking advances warfare kind. Like if war trains became a viable weapons system again, or other such unconventional styles.

For track work, I have enough room to put it all out temporarily, but the sets I have don't have quite enough track to make a full circle. I've already realized how careful you have to be not to derail your train from complicated tracks. (Dagblame switches, always lifting them off the rails)

I would have bought the newer train sets, but they are a bit too expensive for my minimal college-age budget. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 6:06 AM, ProfSrlojohn said:

Thanks for the help!

 

To be honest, I don't have any preferences at all, and I've already scrapped the HP train for parts. 8 studs I'd guess, judging by the fee models I've made. As for kind of train, no particular kind. I was almost thinking advances warfare kind. Like if war trains became a viable weapons system again, or other such unconventional styles.

For track work, I have enough room to put it all out temporarily, but the sets I have don't have quite enough track to make a full circle. I've already realized how careful you have to be not to derail your train from complicated tracks. (Dagblame switches, always lifting them off the rails)

I would have bought the newer train sets, but they are a bit too expensive for my minimal college-age budget. 

Apologizes for the delay in responding.  From what you stated above suggest you don't power them that this time.  You can build a nice steam engine, tender, and a few cars that will display nicely on a few straight tracks on a shelf.  If you shelf has enough depth can add some background scenery to really make a nice display.  I have never thought about doing a war train, but could be fun.  Advance warefare....this is what I would do.

You need a modern diesel engine.  First carriage  would be a flat bed transporting a modern tank.  Second carriage, a modified gondola. Would have some sorta Laser Gun and/or rocket with a control center.  Third carriage would be for troop transport, converted passenger car with bunks, toilet, and a small eating area.  Fourth carriage would also be a converted passenger car this time as a mobile command center.  Lot of radar dishes, antennas, and computers.  If budget permits, a Fifth carriage, flat bed again, ether transporting a helicopter or hummers or other smaller land vehicle.  For a background, would either build some bricks as mountain side, stream (with a bridge for the train track) or would place in a train yard with buildings (just the front facade) and other stuff you might see at a military base.

Lots of cool directions this moc can go.  Not sure your Harry Potter set is going to offer the best pieces as everything is so red.  Thinking you will want grays and black bricks being military.  Post some pictures if you build this, would like to see it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 6:06 AM, ProfSrlojohn said:

I would have bought the newer train sets, but they are a bit too expensive for my minimal college-age budget. 

LDraw, LDD, or Stud.io are perfect ways to express grad creations for low cost! If you are building on a budget, you can always focus on building something small but in hyper detail, e.g., a small engine pulling a specific car, or what have you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Not sure your Harry Potter set is going to offer the best pieces as everything is so red.  Thinking you will want grays and black bricks being military.  Post some pictures if you build this, would like to see it.

Thanks for the tips. I got the HP train for the wheels mostly, though the red has been nice for M:Ton MOCs. I have plenty of grey.

And mitlitary railway equipment doesn't stop at just trains and cars. It also includes railway gun, such as 800mm "Schwerer Gustav"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav

As a comparison, a US Sherman tank has a 75 or 76 mm cannon

9 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

LDraw, LDD, or Stud.io

I have LDD, I've seen Stud.io, but I'm not sure about the first one, nor what it has over the others.

Edited by ProfSrlojohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.