The Defiant Lugger

Recently, any dreams of greatness, fame, wealth, infamy, or whatever drives a privateer, was shattered for the Gentleman Privateer, as the Rover had been sunk. The crew had managed to escape the sinking cutter, and made it back to their hideout.

However, neither the Gentleman himself, nor his crew, are given to defeatism, and have been keen to get back to sea. So, as soon as their new vessel was ready, they were out an about, testing and exercising.

48998054792_d2c49ae59b_c.jpg

The new vessel, the Defiant, is a large three-masted lugger, which shares many of the characteristics of the cutter. Fast, weatherly, and maneuverable, it is perfect for privateering.

48997847521_c2958a83d4_c.jpg

The Defiant carries 6 pounders, four a broadside, plus two chase guns fore and aft, as well as a large crew.

48997303798_9b81265f86_c.jpg

Hopefully, she will prove more effective than the Rover, and bring success to the Gentleman Privateer.

________________________________________________________________________________________

A large lugger, which was really fun to build. I will license her as a class 4 (see in spoiler a comparison shot with the class 5 Ironsides). She really is quite large with the tall rig, but her hull is fairly light. I really like how she turned out, hull and rigging both.

Spoiler

48997303478_79ae3ae4cb_c.jpg

I am going to run into a problem with my photo setup when I need to photograph larger vessels, as she really takes up almost all of my photobackground.

C&C is as always welcome.

A fine ship you got here, it has nice shape, realistic rigging, the custom hull looks good as well, so much to like, and I also the deck activities, the firing effect etc.

Oh this is nice :grin: Not just a good build but a great example of a lug rig. I was thinking "you should put the main sail on the other tack" but I see you went with dipping lugs, very nice :wink:

She is a bit narrow. Luggers tend to be rather round and wide. I see you're dappling in bent sides though. It's good, but can be so much more :devil_laugh:

I feel your pain where size vs space is concerned. Once you start approaching full mini-fig scale, even tiny sloops take on huge proportions. I personally feel that it pays off though.

Cloth or paper sails? Reef points are a nice touch, but all that nice rigging and you forgot tacks and sheets?

a SNOT deck, while parts consuming, can conform a lot ore close to the gunwale's curvature.

I don't think i've been quite so amused with a ship build in a while. Thanks for sharing her.

Dave

Really like this ship, the length is impressive and great job on the firing cannons!  Sails and rigging also looks impressive.

You've built another fine vessel. :thumbup: I keep looking at the base, and thinking she's deceptively larger than she looks. The hull looks nice - perhaps a bit narrow, especially with the guns, but still nice - and I really like the rigging, which makes all the difference on something this size. And this is, what, about the tenth different type of vessel you've built now? Or am I guessing low? :classic:

Nice work, this is an absolutely gorgeous ship! The rigging is great! What bricks did you for the top for connecting the rigging? They look like wheels connected with something else, but I'm uncertain. The hull is very sleek and you did an excellent job with the small details and the entire scene. Also, so glad you added the mast lean, it looks fantastic!

Once again, great work. You made my day once again, and I look forward to seeing what you cook up next! :pir_laugh2:

Gorgeous ship here, Bregir, very slick lines and your rig with the raked masts is fantastic too! :thumbup:  Great job with all the activity on deck as well, and as Kurigan, it's got some of that more realistic minifig-scale stuff messing with your eyes, but it really is quite massive!  Awesome work, and here's one for the gentleman privateer!  Now if I just had the time to build another ship for Captain Nordau that was as much larger than his first as you've given your black flagger... :pir-grin:

I love the shape of the hull on this one, and the rake of the masts. The firing cannons are a nice touch. I think this might be one of my favorites of your ships. :thumbup:

Thanks all - I am very happy with her too, but I wasn't anticipating her being so popular! Actually didn't take that long to build! :pir-grin:

As to the shot-effect, that came out better than I thought, and I will definitely revisit that! The rake of the masts is so characteristic of luggers I had to include it - and as with all my masts (more or less), they are typically not very stable in themselves, but held up by the standing rigging. So it is all about changing the length of some rigging. :pir-wink:

On 11/2/2019 at 2:03 AM, kurigan said:

I was thinking "you should put the main sail on the other tack" but I see you went with dipping lugs, very nice

Will you remind us what "dipping lugs" are? Changing the yard over to the other side of the mast when tacking? (Not actually sure it can do that.as is, though)

She is a bit narrow. Luggers tend to be rather round and wide.

Long and sleek seemed right for a privateer. And truth be told, I was working from a profile image, which doesn't show the width at all, so I took some artistic liberty.

I feel your pain where size vs space is concerned. Once you start approaching full mini-fig scale, even tiny sloops take on huge proportions. I personally feel that it pays off though

Oh, I agree, Many details become possible when you work at this scale, and it is easier to achieve a proper sense of size and shape. For my frigate and SOTL, I will definitely need to figure out a different photo setup.

Cloth or paper sails? Reef points are a nice touch, but all that nice rigging and you forgot tacks and sheets?

It's paper, and the reef points are just drawn on. On Blazer, I made a "fully" functioning rigging, which was a fun experiment, but it also leads to a lot of loose ends (quite literally) that one needs to handle. And I find it somewhat detracts from the MOC. A little more running rigging than here might be attempted, though, if nothing else to give the sails some shape and proper curvature.

a SNOT deck, while parts consuming, can conform a lot ore close to the gunwale's curvature.

This is a good idea - haven't experimented with that, but I think I'll try it at some point. As you say, though, it will take quite a few bricks!

On 11/2/2019 at 1:02 PM, Captain Dee said:

I keep looking at the base, and thinking she's deceptively larger than she looks.

Yes, she is! :pir-grin: With bow- and sternsprit (?) she is about 85 cm's long. (In American measurement, I think that's about 3 pounds, 50 fahrenheit :pir_tong2:)

On 11/2/2019 at 1:02 PM, Captain Dee said:

And this is, what, about the tenth different type of vessel you've built now? Or am I guessing low?

Good question! Cutter, lugger, brig, snow, schooner, square-riggers, dhow, galley, various gunboats, etc.... well... It all adds up! Can't rightly say I have the full overview! And I've got a SOTL, ship-sloop, frigate, polacre-xebec, xebec, and tartane in the works. :pir-hmpf:

On 11/2/2019 at 4:36 PM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

What bricks did you for the top for connecting the rigging?

Just cooked up a little demonstration. You can make many variations over the theme, but something like this works well to model small scale tops (where the lower and upper masts overlap/connect). Hope its useful. :pir-classic:

49019772618_ce03073dd4.jpg 49019772613_66a462c7b7.jpg

On 11/2/2019 at 4:41 PM, Garmadon said:

here's one for the gentleman privateer!  Now if I just had the time to build another ship for Captain Nordau that was as much larger than his first as you've given your black flagger... 

Much appreciated! Mayhaps the Gentleman and Nordau should coordinate efforts at some point? (Rather that than being blasted out of the sea... :pir-wink:)

On 11/4/2019 at 5:40 AM, Capt Wolf said:

I think this might be one of my favorites of your ships.

Really? Well, thank you - I will endeavour to change that with some of my next ships! (But I do quite like her too, though :pir-wink:)

On 11/4/2019 at 5:35 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Makes me want to try one myself!

Oh, I'd love to see your attempt!

On 11/4/2019 at 5:35 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Hopefully she lasts longer than the Last one!

Hopefully indeed!

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

She is about 85 cm's long. (In American measurement, I think that's about 3 pounds, 50 fahrenheit :pir_tong2:)

Close. It comes to precisely 3 PSI (not pounds). :pir-laugh:

Actually, I don't need the translation. I support the metric system every inch of the way. (Especially tires. Might I interest you in a set of 520/85r46" Michelins? :grin: )

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Will you remind us what "dipping lugs" are? Changing the yard over to the other side of the mast when tacking? (Not actually sure it can do that.as is, though)

Long and sleek seemed right for a privateer. And truth be told, I was working from a profile image, which doesn't show the width at all, so I took some artistic liberty.

To the first part, meh. Much easier :wink:

To the second, while I would have preferred to find plans, they are apparently like hen's teeth for this type, but here's a nice model which kind of makes the point.

Cheers!

many things to like here! The model of the ship itself is nice, smooth and with a sweet curve (so hooray!).

The smoke around the guns is very realistic, so have to copy that sometime in the future :)

Oh, also great job with the subtle use of dark red above reddish brown. At first glance, it's not so visible, but once noticed, it adds a lot :)

This is a very nice ship, Bregir. I like that you chose a lesser-known rig to build, and that you did such a fine job implementing it. It appears that you included many of the important details (including a pump, between the 1 and 2 guns if I’m not mistaken), and your action shot of gunnery practice was a great way to introduce us to her.

While I am not sure if you are basing this on a particular model, it does appear to me that the bow is rather squat and not as pointed as I would expect to see on a ship. It looks more like the bow of a larger, heavier ship than of a fast privateer.  But that could just be a result of the ship’s actual design or a limitation of building with Lego.