Sign in to follow this  

[MOC] AT-RT

I saw a lot of attempt on internet about buiding AT-RT with LEGO.
But sadly either too big (not in scale) or too simple/blocky (build with big blocks and big joint).
I try to build it myself. 
At start, I knew this task is difficult.  I have to encounter the difficulties :
- in scale (overall height about two man height)
- joints of legs
- front cover shape
I think I did it pretty close, hope u guys like it.

Reference image
screenshot_20191107-170258_gallery.jpg

From the picture and Star Wars info, the AT-RT should be around 2 man height

20191030_114824.jpg

20191030_114951.jpg

20191030_114935.jpg

20191030_114920.jpg

20191030_114912.jpg

20191030_114958.jpg

20191030_120049.jpg

20191030_120121.jpg

Edited by 009

Pretty cool MF scale AT-RT, especially the legs design, it's very nice inspiration to me, thanks for your sharing. And the photograph is also clear.

Looks very good, though I disagree on the philosophy about the scale, because using height for scale does not really work well with Lego figures in my opinion. Their heads are relatively so large compared to the humans that, for example, in this case the vehicle actually looks too small if you take the scale from the helmet instead of the height of the figure. My point is that you could easily make the AT-RT a little bigger to have more space for the details without losing the proper scale. Nevertheless, the overall appearance really catches the shape of it extremely well and building in this size is very difficult so great work on that. =)

- Samppu

On 11/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, JoeChu1980 said:

Pretty cool MF scale AT-RT, especially the legs design, it's very nice inspiration to me, thanks for your sharing. And the photograph is also clear.

Thanks very much for your appreciation.:wub:

12 hours ago, Samppu said:

Looks very good, though I disagree on the philosophy about the scale, because using height for scale does not really work well with Lego figures in my opinion. Their heads are relatively so large compared to the humans that, for example, in this case the vehicle actually looks too small if you take the scale from the helmet instead of the height of the figure. My point is that you could easily make the AT-RT a little bigger to have more space for the details without losing the proper scale. Nevertheless, the overall appearance really catches the shape of it extremely well and building in this size is very difficult so great work on that. =)

- Samppu

Thanks

Talking about scale, probably people interprete differently since LEGO MF is a "cute" version (not to proportion to a true human figure, head big, body wide...)

But for model building, we commonly count the "overall size" as the basic count.  The most significant dimension for counting the overall size for a MF seems to be the easiest height :head_back:.

so I count the size of a human figure in LEGO with that (MF height = human height, about 1.8m ~ 2m tall)

All my MOC follows this abovesaid scale.

E.g. my MOC AT-ST is about 4 MF height (8~9m tall) in LEGO world, which matches what Star Wars did.  Otherwise if we base on head size of MF, I am afraid it may looks odd (too big) when we put it in a scene with Hoth base and AT-AT together.

Anyway this abovesaid about scale is my explanation about my own interpretation, hope not offence anyone.

Anyway thanks again.

BTW I was known as Hopeso009, actually you can search on MOCpages for all my previous works.

I always do MOC in that scale.

However I lost the password of that account since I stopped play LEGO for a few years. HAHA no time to play.

Now I am using my true name Joe Luk and keep updating MOCpages with this account.

Now I am re-building the Droideka (MF scale) since LEGO had added some new parts during these recent years.  Now I can make it much better than my previous version (Hopeso009's Droideka http://www.moc-pages.com/image_zoom.php?mocid=127499&id=/user_images/24713/12448950372).

Edited by 009

For scale, I was trying to base on the original Star Wars size.

You can check out the youtube video below, it also count the overall height/length.

Actually this video is quite stunning to me because some size of Star Wars stuff I really didnt know before.  Quite educational, I mean.

Edited by 009