Modeltrainman

4025, 3709, Stress?

So, here's probably a confusing question. 4025 (4x6 train bogie plate is no longer made in black, that I can tell. At least B&P never has it. For my bogies on the cars Casey Jr. pulls, I'm using those, with the pins clicked into 2x 3709 for each bogie. Am I stressing the pins doing that? Should I be mounting the wheelsets another way? I guess I could use turntables. Advantages, disadvantages?

I don't remember for sure whether the pin on the bogie plates is long enough to fit through two technic plates- if it clicks when you insert it, then it is probably long enough. Regardless, I'd probably just use one technic plate. I prefer the 8 long for greater clutch to the model above, but for your train it probably isn't critical. If you can work red or yellow in with the design, you can stick with the currently available colors of the bogie plate at least for those cars. However, both the 2x2 and 4x4 turntables work fine too.

@zephyr1934, thank for the advice! The pin on one 4025 snapped in half, so I wasn't sure, and wanted to be safe. For sake of not taking anymore chances, I put 1x2s on each end of the 3079s to give the pin movement freedom on all the wheelsets. @jamesed_1971 Thanks, looking for replacements, now!

The pin on the current bogie plate only fits through 1 plate. If you use 2 plates, it is in a permanently compressed state, which puts stress on the element. Look at the standard train base - the center is only 1 plate high and when a bogie plate is inserted, you cannot place another plate over the holes (as the top of the pin sits in between the studs). 

As mentioned by others, an alternative is to use 2x2 or 4x4 turntables instead of a bogie plate. The black bogie plate itself is getting more and more expensive on BL, as LEGO stopped producing them a while ago. Note that there are 2 variants of the bogie plate, one with a 5mm pin (4025) and one with a 7mm pin (4092). 4092 is 30+ years old and very hard to find, but the pin DOES fit through 2 plates. That could be an alternative, if you manage to find any.

9 hours ago, Phil B said:

The pin on the current bogie plate only fits through 1 plate. If you use 2 plates, it is in a permanently compressed state, which puts stress on the element. Look at the standard train base - the center is only 1 plate high and when a bogie plate is inserted, you cannot place another plate over the holes (as the top of the pin sits in between the studs). 

As mentioned by others, an alternative is to use 2x2 or 4x4 turntables instead of a bogie plate. The black bogie plate itself is getting more and more expensive on BL, as LEGO stopped producing them a while ago. Note that there are 2 variants of the bogie plate, one with a 5mm pin (4025) and one with a 7mm pin (4092). 4092 is 30+ years old and very hard to find, but the pin DOES fit through 2 plates. That could be an alternative, if you manage to find any.

Another alternative to the ideas Phil shared is 2460 - Tile, Modified 2 x 2 with Pin. That has been used in scads of sets and is extremely prevalent on BL. Using that in combination with some tiles can give you the same geometry as a 4092 (including holding double plate thickness), admittedly without as much sheer strength as a car is pulled.

Edited by TJJohn12

On 10/28/2019 at 11:50 PM, Modeltrainman said:

Am I stressing the pins doing that?

Does it really matter? I mean, it's not like those technic pins are rare and expensive to replace.

20 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

Does it really matter? I mean, it's not like those technic pins are rare and expensive to replace.

I think he's talking about the built-in pin on the black bogie plate, which is getting pricey these days.

27 minutes ago, sed6 said:

I use 2x2 turntables for all my bogies. Cheaper and offers unlimited design flexibility, starting with no need for a technic plate at all. 

https://flic.kr/p/2gNycHw

This is an option for flat layouts only. It lacks two degrees of freedom.

6 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

This is an option for flat layouts only. It lacks two degrees of freedom.

You'd be surprised. I run some 85 stud long Pullmans with these turntables and they're able to track very well even with a couple plates of height variance. I'd say unless you're planning to run your trains in a BMX course the turntables are fine.

On 11/1/2019 at 10:19 AM, Daedalus304 said:

You'd be surprised. I run some 85 stud long Pullmans with these turntables and they're able to track very well even with a couple plates of height variance. I'd say unless you're planning to run your trains in a BMX course the turntables are fine.

Agreed. Those turntables have enough play to handle a reasonable grade. That said, some of the popular Lego layouts on YouTube have crazy short inclines that would require lots of play in the trucks.