Sign in to follow this  
Maxim I

[MOC] Gotheborg - Swedish East Indiaman

A true Pirate fan or historic fan can only applaud the fact that people make true Replica's of ships long lost. One of these iconic replica's is without any doubt the Gotheborg, buit in Sweden and based on the Swedish East Indiaman Gotheborg who launched in 1738.

Since I started building lego ships, I dreamed of bricking the Gotheborg. After a few years of learning and developping shipbuilding techniques, I started with the vessel in 2017 to finish it in 2018 (finished except the ratlines).

And this year I finally found the time and motivation to finish those bloody ratlines :pir-blush:

A big shoot out to @Captain Green Hair, @Sebeus I, @kabel, @Legostone and all others of the BeLUG pirate crew for the advice and feedback during the process!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the vessel. It was most of the time a real troublemaker to make everything comes together (difficult angles and other challenges).

48970222181_06df657cf9_c.jpg

48970104526_aca4364ee4_c.jpg

48970103826_4bd64bb971_c.jpg

48970104071_7d3eb72cd3_c.jpg

48970279387_a2fc992185_c.jpg

48970279767_c018ae13d3_c.jpg

48970279987_52e684acc6_c.jpg

An extra picture: the Gotheborg together with another new vessel: Princesse Margot (can be found in BOBS forum)

48805042091_9d030467f5_c.jpg

Just discovered someone filmed both ships at Skaerbaek Fan Weekend:

Thanks for watching!

C&C would be awesome!

Flickr album

Edited by Maxim I

Truly a wonderful choice for a ship. The Gotheborg is and was one of the most gorgeous vessels (in my opinion) out there and this MOC is no exception on gorgeous. The way you did the windows looks fantastic, the proportions and angles are all superb, and of course, the rigging and the sails look great! Wonderful job, I'm truly in love with this ship!:grin_wub:

What a beauty... Reminds me of the Unicorn ships of TinTin's adventure. Very neat! The rigging must've been a pain.

This is wonderful! Both the actual ship and the MOC, hehehe. You did a fantastic job recreating the ship in Lego form. My only complaint is that the rigging seems a bit simple compared to the detail put into the hull.

And I love the guy loosing his lunch. A nice touch.

EKnight

Beautiful. :wub: What more needs to be said? Well, okay, I have to say that I like all the gold touches, especially the railings, and the stern decor, and...

Excellent job recreating the vessel and on a prefab hull no less. The rigging turned out pretty good too. Plan on keeping her built permanently?

On 10/28/2019 at 10:47 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Warghhh !!! This is... monstruous !

This one is really wonderfull !

Thanks!

On 10/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, Mister Phes said:

BEAUTIFUL! :pir-wub:

Posted on Classic-Pirates.com Social Media.

Thanks, glad you like it :D

On 10/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Truly a wonderful choice for a ship. The Gotheborg is and was one of the most gorgeous vessels (in my opinion) out there and this MOC is no exception on gorgeous. The way you did the windows looks fantastic, the proportions and angles are all superb, and of course, the rigging and the sails look great! Wonderful job, I'm truly in love with this ship!:grin_wub:

Doing the windows like that was the only option in my opinion to achieve the white windowframe.

Thanks for the lovely words!

On 10/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, Fraunces said:

What a beauty... Reminds me of the Unicorn ships of TinTin's adventure. Very neat! The rigging must've been a pain.

It was :grin: Thanks!

On 10/31/2019 at 11:41 PM, Elephant Knight said:

This is wonderful! Both the actual ship and the MOC, hehehe. You did a fantastic job recreating the ship in Lego form. My only complaint is that the rigging seems a bit simple compared to the detail put into the hull.

And I love the guy loosing his lunch. A nice touch.

EKnight

Yeah, the question is where to draw the line when rigging. I have experimentend a bit with rigging on the sails, but dat didn't worked out like I hoped, so that's why I left it out. Maybe somewhere in the future, I'll do some more rigging on it :)

On 11/2/2019 at 1:07 PM, Captain Dee said:

Beautiful. :wub: What more needs to be said? Well, okay, I have to say that I like all the gold touches, especially the railings, and the stern decor, and...

Excellent job recreating the vessel and on a prefab hull no less. The rigging turned out pretty good too. Plan on keeping her built permanently?

Hahaha, you'll certainly love my other new vessel, it has even more gold :D

I hope I will :laugh: my guess will be at least 4 years and then maybe rebuilding her with newer techniques.

5 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

A Royal built indeed!

Plan to show it to the public in BMA later this month?

Absolutely! Feel free to find me there and have a talk! She'll be part of a huge pirate lay-out :)

5 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Great creation!

You have now set a very high standard for the rest of us...

I hope it also inspires people like others inspired me doing better and better :)

3 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

Very beautiful!!

This size is amazing.

Thanks Robin!

---

An extra picture has been added, the Gotheborg together with another new vessel: Princesse Margot

48805042091_9d030467f5_c.jpg

I always look at these minifig-illusion-scale ships for details, and there are some real gems here. Nice shot with the two ships together. It looks very impressive.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:57 AM, Maxim I said:

Thanks, glad you like it :D

You're welcome!

On 11/4/2019 at 6:57 AM, Maxim I said:

An extra picture has been added, the Gotheborg together with another new vessel: Princesse Margot

Well don't stop there :pir-wink:

On 11/4/2019 at 10:01 PM, Anders T said:

I always look at these minifig-illusion-scale ships for details, and there are some real gems here. Nice shot with the two ships together. It looks very impressive.

Thanks mate!

On 11/6/2019 at 5:43 PM, Mister Phes said:

You're welcome!

Well don't stop there :pir-wink:

Yay, something to add. Someone filmed both ships at Skaerbaek Fan Weekend: