Goonmo

75257 - 2019 Millennium Falcon MODs and MOCs

I've been following this thread with interest, I love the Millennium Falcon but only had the micro fighter sets before 75257 came out. UCS is great but too big for my liking and the cockpit position and mandibles on previous versions didn't do it for me.

75257 is really good but the gaps stop it being a great set in my opinion. My first attempt to fill the mandible/hatch gaps involved adding two layers of plates to the existing mandible structure. I've used coloured bricks to make it obvious.

027334C1-C814-47DF-9351-92A6560A1BC8B769C5D1-8BFC-42A0-A404-FF279251CF52

EC8BC773-9D66-49E7-ADF1-F541DC23761F

Unfortunately increasing the depth of the mandible meant that the canopy was harder to remove so I tried moving it one stud sideways which helped but left an even bigger gap that needs filling somehow! I also want to add a forward centre line landing gear too.

Edited by SteveOC

dg1ZEyj.jpg

I got inspired by two bricks moc, and decided to mod my 75257  using some of his ideas. I may continue with mods, but any more work and it's really going to be its own set.

list of mods: hull redesigned: uses ball and socket joints instead of hinges and slides forward and back in two parts (instead of 6); cockpit can fit 4 minifigs; cockpit moved forward and out to fix gap; a little bit of greebling; modified landing gear for wall mounting

@princess_kyloren Nice mods, I like the greebling around the rim and it’s good to see your ‘dish’ extended outward by one stud, that’s made a big difference and I’ll definitely be trying that myself ??

It is certainly possible to seat 4 figures, but its very tight depending on how tall the figures are.

Use a 4x4 round brick corner and you have a bit more room to play with. You'll have to hollow the section that the figures rest their back on too.

I've done it but I dont have it on hand to take pictures of.

11 hours ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

It is certainly possible to seat 4 figures, but its very tight depending on how tall the figures are.

Use a 4x4 round brick corner and you have a bit more room to play with. You'll have to hollow the section that the figures rest their back on too.

I've done it but I dont have it on hand to take pictures of.

i tried it with that but i still cant seem to make it fit , are the seats still staggered or are they side by side?

On 7/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, Killasudle said:

Check out my mods.

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

Got any more, high resolution pics?  From other angles etc?

On 7/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, Killasudle said:

Check out my mods.

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

Hi,

Do you have larger pics ?

It's a bit hard to see

thanks

On 1/21/2020 at 9:30 PM, Bigdwazda said:

So i took it upon myself to to try and upgrade my Falcon using both my old 75105 Falcon and the First Order transporter (and some of my kids lego but dont tell them!).

I saw an excellent MOC done by 2bricks as shown at the bottom of my post, as I’m not a moc builder or someone who has ever modded lego before i decided to try and make the Lego set look as similar as possible. 

49420198973_eaa819689b_c.jpg

I tried to update as much as possible to get closer to the actual Falcon using some reference shots, oddly there are quite a few differnces in the design. Some are rounder while others are more elongated. I decided to go with the slightly elongated version as this is what the UCS looks like (to my eyes at least).

So what did i do,

49420663861_40189007ed_z.jpg

1. I tried to close the gap between the mandibles and dish section, I just built up the area under under the dish as opposed to thickening the mandibles. While this less accurate it did make it pretty easy to close the gap.

I also plugged the huge gap by the canopy. It turned out to be really easy to fix with a couple of small angled plates. 

2. I took the slightly angled plates off the escape pod tunnels and replaced it with a straight edge. This allowed me to get a more accurate look to the tunnels. I also filled in the gaps as much as possible between it and the cockpit tunnel. 

49420663976_da18760b23_z.jpg

3. The escape pods were tweaked to better reflect the UCS model. Owing to the height of these i decided to use upside down pistols. While totally inaccurate i think they give them a little more interest. I also totally copied the 2bricks design with the bits of red showing. I liked it on his and i like it on this one. 

49420883657_e9a8cc3353_z.jpg

4. The right hand side has an updated dish (copied from 2bricks) i also added a little detail coming down from the dish area. I added the 2 pipes that go to the holes in the madibles as well. 

5. The mandibles, these were fun, first off i smoothed them up a bit using tiles. I then set about adding the pipes. i basicaly attached 2 pipes together with a lightsaber hilt and attached to a 1x1 brick with hole in. 

49420663211_b45afc7ac4_c.jpg

6. The back - I spent a long time wondering about the best way to approach this. In the end i decided to use square bricks and live with the gaps. I built it out to match the existing engine covers and then removed the originals. Im still in two minds whether to reduce the length by one stud or leave as it is. I then decided to use (what i know as" flick fire missiles for the actuators that attach to the fins. I made sure to leave the hole facing up to approximate that there are 2 of these on the (real) Falcon.

7. A very important detail I wanted to capture was the fanned section on the back. The top down view shows this best and was achieved by using 1 stud wide long tiles.   

Other than a bit of extra tiling and funny bits added here and there that is the extent of the changes. It took me a huge amount of time to do this and I’m really happy with it,  is it perfect, no, but in my eyes it looks more displayable.

The only drawback is that it’s harder to get to the interior, now it’s easier to remove each segment.  As I’m not concerned about the interior this isn’t an issue for me. 

49420663431_fb2d274398_c.jpg

2bricks version below

49420197288_b0cee84cca_z.jpg

Hi,

How many pieces did you add to your set ?

I'm planning on doing Ron's mods and add other exteriors mods without surcharging the hull

Wow.  I haven’t been here for a while.  In terms of bits, this is a complete guess.  I would say around 100-150.  Mostly plates in all honesty.  @macaron35

Was inspired by many of the modifications shared on this thread to update my 75257 Falcon for my Galaxy's Edge MOC.  Haven't had a chance to do much interior modification other than some small cockpit upgrades, so most of the changes are some extra exterior greebles/details and some subtle slopes added to the mandibles.  I also built my own rectangular radar dish to match the timeline of the Galaxy's Edge Falcon.

50544156083_2ec16d2e9f_z.jpgLEGO Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge by Evan Ridpath, on Flickr

50544880606_717781606e_z.jpgLEGO Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge by Evan Ridpath, on Flickr

Edited by evanridpath

On 11/2/2019 at 2:00 PM, LEGODrongo01 said:

I started building the 75257 set in stud.io in the Solo movie colours, because the actual Solo set is horribly gappy and badly proportioned. The new set is sooo much better, so I will bricklink the pieces to make it when Im done. Might cost less than the actual set too. I will try to fix the ugly gaps near the cockpit.

49000118453_85f6d56462_b.jpgKessel Run Falcon WIP by Sucram H, on Flickr

@LEGODrongo01 Did you already complete this version?

Because I also would like to build this version.

Hi there

Just wondering if someone has a good mod for the mandibles.

There are plenty of mods for the UCS MF for this part but none so far for the 75257. I am not looking for an escape pod but a good mod for the mandibles to avoid having this hole / empty space

Late to the party.

I hope you enjoy my mod.

Interiors and structural changes are from Edge of Bricks (you can find his moc on rebrickable).

Exterior I took inspirations by non-Lego models and a few stuff on the back from Killasudle (the phones ;-)

51954670960_58cee2aaa6_c.jpg1647937126007 by _mud season_, on Flickr

51953088972_c11e1cf2fe_c.jpg1647937125992 by _mud season_, on Flickr

Hope the links work!

bye