Gray_Mouser

[MOC] Rebel midi squadron

I spent some time designing midi versions of the rebel fighters (OT). As is usual for me, I didn't start from scratch, and ripped off borrowed ideas from other people:

• x-wing: based on Pasq67's MOC
  • y-wing: based on Tim Goddard's MOC
  • b-wing and a-wing: based on SPARKART!'s MOCs

I had already posted renders for the x-wing and the y-wing, but I finally could build them with real bricks. And now they are accompanied by the b-wing and a-wing. I'm glad to have them out of my system (and on my shelves); I wasted far too much time on these.

48962871637_6da3a1ed25_b.jpg

Edited by Gray_Mouser

They look highly detailed despite the small size!  Though, is the A-Wing truly this small compared to the others?

I notice the improvements on the Y-Wing that you shared in the other topic (the medium blue looks great), but did make any improvements on the other Starfighters?

They look great! 

I second the question, is the A wing supposed to be that small?

I like to think I have improved them all, but you may disagree. But I have made changes, that's for sure.

The a-wing is definitely too small. Also, I shot wide angle, and the a-wing is in the background, so it didn't help either.

I could argue that I've been faithful to the original trilogy by not caring too much about the scale. ?

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Those are very good builds! Very small but quite accurate. Small builds push Lego building to its limits :sweet:

I love midi scale, wish there was more.  (Especially for capital ships, I'll never have room or money for 10,000 piece monster MOCs)

59 minutes ago, steele said:

I love midi scale, wish there was more.  (Especially for capital ships, I'll never have room or money for 10,000 piece monster MOCs)

Agreed, midi scale needs to come back, especially for large ships

Funny thing, sometimes you spend hours swapping parts with nothing to show for it, and sometimes you solve major problems in half an hour without even trying.

Maybe.

I like the y-wing a lot, but the cylinders are off scale. Yesterday I came up with this. I'm not sure it is the right scale, but at least it's smaller. Also, the engines were probably all that were left from Tim's model. :classic:

Here is a render :

50228164501_508f6a81a3_b.jpg

However, I'm not 100% sure it works though... Could someone with the parts tell me if this is possible please? Obviously, there is a problem, but I think it's because the digitial models are made of a limited number of polygons... Anyway, help would be appreciated.

50228164506_7813d02fe7_b.jpg

Would you be interested in posting the .lxf files for these? Specifically the X-Wing and Y-Wing as they would be stunning for a Sullust diorama that I am doing in the same scale. I would be happy to pay for them as well. Thanks for your time!

Thank you for your interest!

I wouldn't dream of selling these; I don't own the intellectual property, and as you can see they don't generate much reactions anyway.

Please be aware these are exposition models though. I had to tolerate pretty weak connections to achieve the look I was after (especially true for the x-wing). They definitely won't fall apart if left alone, or handled gently. You could probably even swoosh them if you were cautious (never tried, I'm too old for that).

Are you in a hurry? I still try to improve them every now and then. I think the x-wing is pretty much done, but I'm still not fully satisfied with the greebling of the y-wing.

Here are renders of my latest builds. I doubt anyone can spot the differences for the x-wing, but the cockpit of the y-wing is now bigger, which is more accurate.

51348648565_60a38a13e6_z.jpg

51348647220_2e24c30197_z.jpg

No worries! I would be using them as display models within the diorama only so durability is not a huge concern of mine. I too have become too old to do much swooshing and know the trade-off that must be made (generally) at this scale to achieve upmost accuracy versus playability. 

I am not in any rush. I look to have this diorama completed by next summer and envision it being roughly 16 grey baseplates, maybe a bit larger depending on how far I can stretch the parts I have. That said, I would love to include these models as the rebel strike force assaulting the imperial facility/garrison. I would rather not have to try and reinvent the wheel when you have already captured the models better than I would have.

I'm done with the y-wing. I changed the structure (a little bit), a lot of details that were not visible on the renders, and I rearranged the greebling.

I'll let it rest for now. I find problems are more obvious when I don't see the build for a while. If there is something you don't like, please let me know.

51465583710_ec8a564e9d_o.jpg

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Is there any interest in instructions? I don't know how to do them with studio yet, but it doesn't seem too difficult.

I'll do it if enough people are interested. Now is the time to let me know. In a few months, I won't have time for legos anymore.

On 9/19/2021 at 2:58 AM, Gray_Mouser said:

Is there any interest in instructions? I don't know how to do them with studio yet, but it doesn't seem too difficult.

I'll do it if enough people are interested. Now is the time to let me know. In a few months, I won't have time for legos anymore.

I am definitely interested in instructions! 

On 9/21/2021 at 2:53 AM, GrandEmperorBinks said:

Wow. Those look really cool! As above ^, the greebling is incredible for builds of this scale. And the scale/accuracy is pretty spot-on too!

You're too kind, my lord Darth Jar Binks. I really tried to be as close to the studio model as possible, but I had to take some liberties due to the scale. For the greebling, my aim was to make it look like it was really part of the structure, not just some random pipes and grids attached on top. But the bars are too thick, so it was hard to cram enough of them to recreate a credible mess of pipes. And at some point, too much is too much.

5 hours ago, ThaGreenGiant said:

I am definitely interested in instructions! 

Yeah, I figured out that much. Don't worry, at the very least I'll send you the studio file. I won't forget. As for instructions, as I said I'll do it if there is enough interest. It seems too much effort for a single person. Unless the process is fun enough, I'm not quite sure how it works in studio.

14 hours ago, Gray_Mouser said:

You're too kind, my lord Darth Jar Binks. I really tried to be as close to the studio model as possible, but I had to take some liberties due to the scale. For the greebling, my aim was to make it look like it was really part of the structure, not just some random pipes and grids attached on top. But the bars are too thick, so it was hard to cram enough of them to recreate a credible mess of pipes. And at some point, too much is too much.

:grin: Thanks. And that's understandable about the 'too much is too much'. You've done really well though!