ks6349

City/Town and baseplates

City or Town sets e.g. Hospital, Fire station, Airports, Houses etc in 80s and 90s usually (maybe always) came with a big baseplate of square shape but I think that none of the City sets in recent years come with any major square baseplates.

Do you think nowadays' sets is easier or more difficult to join with other sets to create a small town without a baseplate

Edited by ks6349

I’d rather have them on baseplates as they line up with the road plates. Sometimes they’re useful to break up the monotony of even pavement. You could tile the exposed plate & have them act as steps up into the building. 

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’d rather have them on baseplates as they line up with the road plates. Sometimes they’re useful to break up the monotony of even pavement. You could tile the exposed plate & have them act as steps up into the building. 

So, for City sets of recent years, without a major baseplate, what is usually the strategy to line up with other buildings??

13 hours ago, ks6349 said:

So, for City sets of recent years, without a major baseplate, what is usually the strategy to line up with other buildings??

Just switching them to baseplates, either buy extra ones or use from other sets. I keep the pieces of my sets minus the baseplates together, so I have plenty of baseplates to use.

I used to use road and baseplates on my old LEGO (pre 2000s), but I don't use those now, as I keep old and new seperate.

Since I got back into new LEGO after 2017, I have some 48x48 baseplates if I wanted to build, and I have 20 of those double-sided cardboard playmats (10 City/10 Friends) for some roads/grass/beach type ground decoration.

I don't have a permanent layout, and no Modular buildings, so playmats work fine with smaller buildings (City / Creator 3-in-1)

Edited by TeriXeri

21 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Just switching them to baseplates, either buy extra ones or use from other sets. I keep the pieces of my sets minus the baseplates together, so I have plenty of baseplates to use.

Did you mean the baseplates of grey color or green color? Blue is often used as sea. Grey is the best choice but it's often doubled the price of the green one (looks like $11.99 for one piece of grey)

2 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Did you mean the baseplates of grey color or green color? Blue is often used as sea. Grey is the best choice but it's often doubled the price of the green one (looks like $11.99 for one piece of grey)

The light bluish grey baseplates at 48x48 studs are larger then the regular 32x32 baseplates by 2.25 times.

https://brickset.com/sets/10701-1/48x48-Grey-Baseplate

10701-1.jpg?201411050235

Light bluish and Dark bluish grey 32x32 baseplates exist but are part of sets/promotions and not sold seperately (except on bricklink etc)

Edited by TeriXeri

Don't forget the 16x32 baseplates that are in some sets or you can buy on bricklink. Maybe combine those with two 8x16 baseplates and you'll have a modular on a roadplate and the road.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, ks6349 said:

Yes. Some I took from other sets, I keep my baseplates separate from the pieces, or I buy the baseplates. You may be able to fond a decent priced lot of baseplates online too. That’s a good way to get a bunch. 

On 10/30/2019 at 2:54 AM, Asajki said:

Lego have released white baseplates and I NEED them for my arctic collection

where to get? Does Amazon sell??

2 hours ago, ks6349 said:

where to get? Does Amazon sell??

To say they’ve been released is a stretch, they’ve been revealed as being available next year. Got a couple of months yet. 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

To say they’ve been released is a stretch, they’ve been revealed as being available next year. Got a couple of months yet. 

but What is the usefulness of white baseplates? How would you use it? For snow scene??

10 hours ago, ks6349 said:

but What is the usefulness of white baseplates? How would you use it? For snow scene??

They could be perfect for Winter Village sets, for example.

12 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Snow, clouds, just white, as negative space for some kind of mural . . just off the top of my head.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:09 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

Snow, clouds, just white, as negative space for some kind of mural . . just off the top of my head.

Star Wars, Hoth MOCs.

I always build on base plates, but then again everything I build is intended for our LUG’s show layouts.

Edited by gotoAndLego

8 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

Star Wars, Hoth MOCs.

I always build on base plates, but then again everything I build is intended for our LUG’s show layouts.

I build on baseplates just because it’s convenient.

I read somewhere they will make standard 32x32 studs white baseplates next year, so it will become a lot easier to get them.

The downside will maybe be that the blue baseplates will be again out of production.

While LEGO.com & Brickset somehow use a white 48x48 baseplate as it's first picture, the new White Classic Baseplate for 2020 is actually 32x32 as the other product pictures show.

Edited by TeriXeri

Yeah, that was confusing when comparing the price with the size according to the pictures shown.