Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

Book III Challenge IV Category A: An Axe Throwing Agreement

Deep in a Dwarven city....

48955583268_0cfb546c71_c.jpg

All across Historica there was suspicion and rumor while confidence in Queen Ylspeth reached new lows.  In Mitgardia, the dwarves were arming themselves as their underground war industry restarted anew years after a failed invasion of Avalonia.  The dwarven dissatisfaction with the humans and other races above ground had reached a critical point and the small, individual kingdoms were discussing banding together for raids against the sun-washed world above.  But, at some point prior to anything regrettable transpiring, a Mitgardian lumber merchant stumbled upon a group of dwarves training in axe throwing.  After turning to a dwarf leaning against a stone-carved door jam and instructing, "here, hold my beer!", the merchant--who was an experienced lumberjack and thus well acquainted with axes--started up an informal competition.

Unknown to the merchant, the dwarf holding his beer was the lord of the dwarves in the area and after watching his warriors and the lumber merchant battle all night to a tie (while drinking a refreshingly strong Mitgardian beer), he came to see greater opportunity for his people through peace than through war.  Before the merchant left that dwarven conclave, deals had been struck for the exchange of lumber, fish, and bread from the surface for axe heads from below and rules had been drafted for the first open axe throwing tournament to be held in the dwarven cities.

Thus began the warming of relations between humans and dwarves during the reign of Queen Ylspeth.  As other dwarven cities and human settlements heard of the tournaments and the profits in terms of gold, goodwill, merriment, and further trade agreements, both sides realized there was more to be gained with unity than with discord.  After endorsement from both the Jarl in Vaholl and the various dwarven lords, many communities created their own axe throwing leagues along with increased human-dwarf trade agreements.

My entry for Category A, long live the Queen!

Cool Mitgardian scene, the rock in the background is a particularly good choice!  Intriguing door shape too.  Glad to see an entry on the Queen's side! :classic:

Very nice!  I like the all-Lego picture.  The not over-lit scene and the all-Lego shot really helps sell the underground, as there are some shadows and you can't see the background of the picture.  I think you did a great job capturing the dwarven feel, as it's definitely underground, but it has a sort of homey feel to it, as there's a nice carved portion that's obviously well taken care of that makes a nice transition to the natural walls.  The columns expanding as they go upward, as you would have to in order to support a full weight roof, is a great detail as well.  I almost missed the throne since it's perpendicular to the shot, but I love the gold bowls with the ore pieces in them.  Lots of fun little details packed in here that are great.  Fantastic work, and glad to see the queen has some support!

That's a great scene and a great story! Very nice rockwork, both for the human-built dwarven-built parts and the natural ones. I also love all the details, from the minifig expressions to the cave decor.

Love the columns and the wall in the background.  Nice looking figs.  Nice table and the throne looks very good.  Good story too.  

Great entry, fellow Mitgardian!

I like the rockwall background, as it is all angled, fitting well in the picture. The columns are beautiful too. I also like the throne and the additions of barrels and built-targets for the competition. 

As for the story, I must say that the art of axe throwing is in the northern blood, thought from generation to generation over centuries beyond count. It is a great manner of getting people to get along and the practice tends to make them stronger for the eventuality of a battle. 

Good to see that sports are playing an important role in this reign. 

Good luck!
Cheers.

Well look what the cat dragged in... the Texan's back! And what a badass MOC! Awesome interior scene, especially like the throne and those off-stud rock walls. Great story as well dude, had me going for a moment. Dreaded the idea of marauding dwarves unleashed upon the innocent. Glad they figured things out - a lesson that could be valuable for many. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:12 PM, Kai NRG said:

Cool Mitgardian scene, the rock in the background is a particularly good choice!  Intriguing door shape too.  Glad to see an entry on the Queen's side! :classic:

Thanks Kai!

On 10/25/2019 at 11:31 PM, Grover said:

Very nice!  I like the all-Lego picture.  The not over-lit scene and the all-Lego shot really helps sell the underground, as there are some shadows and you can't see the background of the picture.  I think you did a great job capturing the dwarven feel, as it's definitely underground, but it has a sort of homey feel to it, as there's a nice carved portion that's obviously well taken care of that makes a nice transition to the natural walls.  The columns expanding as they go upward, as you would have to in order to support a full weight roof, is a great detail as well.  I almost missed the throne since it's perpendicular to the shot, but I love the gold bowls with the ore pieces in them.  Lots of fun little details packed in here that are great.  Fantastic work, and glad to see the queen has some support!

Yeah, about the throne; camera angles on this were terrible.  I wanted the columns to be close enough to each other to have some sort of credibility (holding up a mountain and all) so that drove some sub-optimal photography.

On 10/26/2019 at 5:31 AM, Aurore said:

That's a great scene and a great story! Very nice rockwork, both for the human-built dwarven-built parts and the natural ones. I also love all the details, from the minifig expressions to the cave decor.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:01 PM, zoth33 said:

Love the columns and the wall in the background.  Nice looking figs.  Nice table and the throne looks very good.  Good story too.  

On 10/27/2019 at 12:43 AM, Louis of Nutwood said:

Great entry, fellow Mitgardian!

I like the rockwall background, as it is all angled, fitting well in the picture. The columns are beautiful too. I also like the throne and the additions of barrels and built-targets for the competition. 

As for the story, I must say that the art of axe throwing is in the northern blood, thought from generation to generation over centuries beyond count. It is a great manner of getting people to get along and the practice tends to make them stronger for the eventuality of a battle. 

Good to see that sports are playing an important role in this reign. 

Good luck!
Cheers.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:23 PM, Eoin Wallace said:

Nice moc and great story! The build looks great and the story is good too. :sweet:

Thanks guys!

On 11/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, MassEditor said:

Well look what the cat dragged in... the Texan's back! And what a badass MOC! Awesome interior scene, especially like the throne and those off-stud rock walls. Great story as well dude, had me going for a moment. Dreaded the idea of marauding dwarves unleashed upon the innocent. Glad they figured things out - a lesson that could be valuable for many. 

Ha! :laugh:  Thanks ME, felt good to build a little bit!

Those pillars and doorway are both brilliant examples of dwarven style :wub:

Angling the back cave walls is a subtle touch, be really sells the natural cavern look. Seeing those classic Mitgardian troops brings back a lot of early GoH memories :sweet: