Garmadon

Captain Nordau vs. Montroy

July, 619

The lookout yawned in the crow's nest of the Cardinal's Shadow.  It had been days since they had spotted so much as a sail on the horizon - which was a pity, of course, because the Cardinal's Shadow could catch just about anything, if there were anything to catch.  Captain Nordau was starting to regret having decided to just go ship hunting this month instead of executing one of his usual raids, and was hoping to at least get a good look at a Class 0 and blow it out of the water to calm his impatience.   

Cardinal%27s%20Shadow%20%20%282%29.JPG

Suddenly the lookout blinked and bumbled his telescope, while his eyebrows bounced once or twice in excitement.  "Sail ho!"  

Captain Nordau was on the quarterdeck scanning the horizon through his glass in an instant.  

"Whose flag, matey?"

"Looks piratical, sir," returned the pirate in the nest, disappointment seeping into his tone.

"Sea rat?" queried the Captain.

"Aha!  Nai Cap, it's Montroy!"

Montroy%27s%20Flagship%20%282%29.JPG

Now be it said, that Captain Nordau as of yet has no particular line of action for encounters with fellow real pirates (not that Montroy is "real," being just an NPC - but that's besides the point...), but - as it depends on his mood - when he's been out for well-nigh a whole month without seeing so much as a sail and then spots a fellow-pirate who had also happened to be out for almost a whole month with no better luck, well then, fire and smoke are in the making.  And besides, the good Captain had always wanted to know if Montroy's piratical prowess was really as fine as rumor had it. 

Story%20Pics%20%281%29.JPG

The yare vessel turned westward quickly and before long came abreast of Montroy's ships, all bristling with cannon, matches lit and at the ready. 

"Fire!"

Story%20Pics%20%282%29.JPG

"Heave about!  Belay there, cut - excellent maneuvering there, mate, by the bye - fire, ye squashbuckling curmudgeons!"

Story%20Pics%20%283%29.JPG

Captain Nordau's ship made a quick turn, and sliced between Montroy's flagship and his smaller vessel, sending the quarterdeck of the latter up in a cloud of splintered wood.  Fire violently breaking out astern of the mainmast, the smaller ship took to its heels (and probably blew up a moment later when the conflagration presumably reached the powder room - just saying.) 

Story%20Pics%20%284%29.JPG

"Lay your eyes on that, me hearties!" exclaimed Nordau in glee - whereupon his all-too-obedient crew turned to catch a glimpse of their victory; unfortunately, however, Montroy redoubled his efforts just then, and with a loud ka-bang his erratic shot dislodged three of the cannon from their carriages on that side.

Story%20Pics%20%285%29.JPG

"Avast!  Hard port on the helm there!"

"Aye aye, Cap'in!" echoed the helmsman, and the Cardinal's Shadow spun again upon its new tack, and opened fire again upon its opponent.  Six balls landed within a quarter-inch of the powder room (or so said the quartermaster afterwards, anyways), but as they all missed, Montroy continued his barrage unfazed, and with another fortuitous shot blew off the helm, and... um...

Story%20Pics%20%286%29.JPG

"Och, ye lousy spalpeens!  Come back here and I'll knock yer planks to shiverines!"  

Captain Nordau shook his broadsword at the retreating vessels (they were most certainly retreating - no doubt of that - fleeing like the cowards they were), and with a sigh turned and sat down.  

"Well maties, back to the rowboat, is it..."

Story%20Pics%20%287%29.JPG

...No sunset - Montroy deserve a sunset?!  Oh please, the ship-thieving scoundrel!

Story%20Pics%20%288%29.JPG

:laugh: :grin:

Well, there you have it - I've actually had this done and photographed for almost three months (I built it just about right after it happened), but have been quite busy and never did get around to posting it until now!  More pictures of each of the larger ships in the spoilers!

Montroy's Flagship:

Spoiler

Montroy%27s%20Flagship%20%282%29.JPG

From the bowsprit:

Montroy%27s%20Flagship%20%285%29.JPG

Montroy%27s%20Flagship%20%286%29.JPG

Opposite side:

Montroy%27s%20Flagship%20%287%29.JPG

Stern:

Montroy%27s%20Flagship%20%288%29.JPG

The Cardinal's Shadow:

Spoiler

Cardinal%27s%20Shadow%20%20%281%29.JPG

Broadside:

Cardinal%27s%20Shadow%20%20%284%29.JPG

The other side:

Cardinal%27s%20Shadow%20%20%285%29.JPG

Stern:

Cardinal%27s%20Shadow%20%20%287%29.JPG

And that's it for now, folks!  Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome as always!

Amazing battle scene! The ships look great! Can't believe you managed to build so many details on such small vessels, a big thumb up for the rigging and sails.

But is it a good idea to begin to eat their rations of cookies when they just got on the rowboat, it may took weeks before someone finds them.:laugh:

Fantastic micro ships, the level of detail is very impressive!  The rigging in particular but also those curves on the hulls.  I really like the smoke and fire too.  And fun story! :pir-laugh:

Wow! Just incredible -- scenes and ships. Fantastic job. :thumbup:      And I figured you were going to tell this story eventually; it was worth the wait!

Are the sails made of paper? I can't tell.

Like the others said, the story and ships are absolutely fantastic! These are probably some of the best micro-ships I've ever seen, as the rigging, sails, and curves are incredible for such a small scale (I can only imagine how painful it was to tie those lines.) The story and pictures are wonderful!

I have no doubt, one of these days Montroy will be captured, the fleeing crook. Seriously though, wonderful job @Garmadon! This was a great read. :thumbup:

Also, I just now realized how huge the back light is for the Shadow. That thing is gigantic! Kinda removes the point of a black hull and sails, haha! :grin:

Lovely little ships :thumbup:

Especially love the firing effect of cannon, very clever.

And I like this micro-scale, good for put them in board game fight :tongue:

you may try to build the port and some town houses / castle.  I think it will look magnificent.

Edited by 009

I was thinking about doing some micro's myself in the near future. Thanks a lot for giving me such an inspiring example!!

What amazing miniatures! Never would have thought so much detail could be crammed into 3 tiny ships - they look so lifelike

Well, what can I add. This is just amazing! A very big compliment to you. As for one thing which isn't mentioned yet, the uncommon English words made it much more real: I needed as a Dutchman some help of Google Translate to get it all , beautiful wording, is what I mean to say :laugh:

Thanks all! :pir-classic:

On 10/24/2019 at 9:34 PM, Bodi said:

Amazing battle scene! The ships look great! Can't believe you managed to build so many details on such small vessels, a big thumb up for the rigging and sails.

But is it a good idea to begin to eat their rations of cookies when they just got on the rowboat, it may took weeks before someone finds them.:laugh:

Hahaha, maybe not - but then, when it comes to cookies, how many of us are really logical anyways? :pir-grin: :pir-laugh:  Thanks matey! 

On 10/24/2019 at 10:54 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Wow! Just incredible -- scenes and ships. Fantastic job. :thumbup:      And I figured you were going to tell this story eventually; it was worth the wait!

Are the sails made of paper? I can't tell.

Thanks Capt, I really enjoy these little ships!  Yes, the tan sails are parchment paper, and the black ones are some kind of black... paper :pir-grin:  Both are a bit thicker and tougher than the normal stuff, though, which is quite helpful!

And would you believe it - I literally built these and had taken the pics and all a week and a half after the KPA with the story in it came out, and just haven't gotten around to posting it until now! :grin:  (Alright, in my defense I was flying back and forth to and from the US and a bunch of other stuff in the interval :laugh:)

On 10/25/2019 at 8:26 PM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Like the others said, the story and ships are absolutely fantastic! These are probably some of the best micro-ships I've ever seen, as the rigging, sails, and curves are incredible for such a small scale (I can only imagine how painful it was to tie those lines.) The story and pictures are wonderful!

I have no doubt, one of these days Montroy will be captured, the fleeing crook. Seriously though, wonderful job @Garmadon! This was a great read. :thumbup:

Also, I just now realized how huge the back light is for the Shadow. That thing is gigantic! Kinda removes the point of a black hull and sails, haha! :grin:

Thanks mate!  Rigging is always definitely a little tricky, but I don't mind it being small too much if there's not this much of it :pir-grin:

Haha!  That was a bit of a hark-back to my first rigged micro-ship - and then, giant lanterns are just awesome, you know!

On 10/27/2019 at 2:13 AM, 009 said:

Lovely little ships :thumbup:

Especially love the firing effect of cannon, very clever.

And I like this micro-scale, good for put them in board game fight :tongue:

you may try to build the port and some town houses / castle.  I think it will look magnificent.

Thank you!  I don't think I'll be doing that, unfortunately - but the reason is because instead we took a couple of the ships and stuck them inside a big glass bottle to display!  I'll get you a pic one of these days if I get the chance!

On 10/27/2019 at 2:23 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Well Done Sir! 

Congrats on Front Page

Nice!  Thank you, mate! :pir-sweet:

On 10/27/2019 at 5:26 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Despite the scale you've realized three ultra detailed pirate vessels ...superb minidiorama! :pir-wub: 

Thanks sir!  Glad you like them! :pir-classic:

On 10/28/2019 at 6:41 PM, Fraunces said:

Well, what can I add. This is just amazing! A very big compliment to you. As for one thing which isn't mentioned yet, the uncommon English words made it much more real: I needed as a Dutchman some help of Google Translate to get it all , beautiful wording, is what I mean to say :laugh:

:pir-grin: Thanks my friend!  I'm glad you enjoyed the story as well, but don't feel too bad about not understanding all the words (I'm really wondering how good of a job Google Translate could do with "Och, ye lousy spalpeens!  Come back here and I'll knock yer planks to shiverines!" :pir-laugh:), I didn't know at least one of them myself until I found it in the dictionary last week, and I've been a native English speaker all my life! :pir_laugh2:  Thank you, anyhow!! 

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

I didn't know at least one of them myself until I found it in the dictionary last week, and I've been a native English speaker all my life!

Might it have been yare?

Had to look that one up myself... and apparently so does the spellchecker. :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

:pir-grin: Thanks my friend!  I'm glad you enjoyed the story as well, but don't feel too bad about not understanding all the words (I'm really wondering how good of a job Google Translate could do with "Och, ye lousy spalpeens!  Come back here and I'll knock yer planks to shiverines!" :pir-laugh:), I didn't know at least one of them myself until I found it in the dictionary last week, and I've been a native English speaker all my life! :pir_laugh2:  Thank you, anyhow!! 

Well, if you translate it to Dutch, and then back to English, one gets this translation :roflmao:  "Oh, you worthless splinters! Come back here and I'll beat your shelves for shiverines!"

9 hours ago, Fraunces said:

if you translate it to Dutch, and then back to English

Ahhh, that might be part of the problem. Pretty sure at least some of this is Scots Gaelic.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:58 PM, Kai NRG said:

Might it have been yare?

Had to look that one up myself... and apparently so does the spellchecker. :pir-grin:

Yes, that would be it :pir-laugh:

On 10/31/2019 at 7:00 PM, Fraunces said:

Well, if you translate it to Dutch, and then back to English, one gets this translation :roflmao:  "Oh, you worthless splinters! Come back here and I'll beat your shelves for shiverines!"

:pir-grin: Well, not too bad, all things considered!  Glad you liked the story, anyhow! :laugh:

On 11/1/2019 at 5:01 AM, Ross Fisher said:

...Pretty sure at least some of this is Scots Gaelic.

:wink:  It's a pretty general assortment of pirate lingo though - I even got some German in there, soo... :pir_laugh2: