Sign in to follow this  
The Brick Boss

60053 vs. 60113

I know you guys probably know about my bigotry towards automobiles that are 6 studs wide. However, when it comes to race cars, I think it works. I own both 60053 and 60113 and they are very nice vehicles. I would like to hope that the race cars that we are supposed to receive in 2020 start a trend of making race cars for Lego City. I do worry that it won't happen since Speed Champions exists. Though Speed Champions seems to be targeted towards OFOLs than CFOLs. 

Edited by pooda

For me, 8 wide cars are just to big.  I know you can really increase the detail, but in a city environment they just don't look right.  For my city, cars are 4 to 6 studs wide, trucks 6 to 8 and big trucks 8 or larger.  Kinda looks odd with a 8 wide truck sitting at a railroad crossing with a 6 stud wide train.  

My Speed Champions are all 6 studs wide.  Have an old Speed Racer set, cars are 8 studs wide.  They really don't display well together.  Hopefully TLG will offer both 6 and 8 stud wide new vehicles in the Speed Champions line.

9 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

For me, 8 wide cars are just to big.  I know you can really increase the detail, but in a city environment they just don't look right.  For my city, cars are 4 to 6 studs wide, trucks 6 to 8 and big trucks 8 or larger.  Kinda looks odd with a 8 wide truck sitting at a railroad crossing with a 6 stud wide train.  

My Speed Champions are all 6 studs wide.  Have an old Speed Racer set, cars are 8 studs wide.  They really don't display well together.  Hopefully TLG will offer both 6 and 8 stud wide new vehicles in the Speed Champions line.

I agree with that. 8 stud is going too far. In my city, the only cars that are 6 stud wide are race cars. The other cars (including the police cars and taxis) are four stud wide. Trucks and buses are all 6 stud wide. I don't have any 8 stud wide vehicles in city. 

I think the Lego makes an exception with their Speed Champions series because Speed Champions are geared more towards teenagers and young adults than children. So they are allowed to flesh out more detail. They have to make City vehicles simpler because those are for children. But hey! Sometimes simpler actually looks better. 

Edited by pooda

I really liked the 2019 Police Car, if race cars continue at that scale it'd be great, as they really do match 6 wide sportscars like the F40 and 911 of this year as well.

That said, the 4+ wide Kayak car of 2019 was nice as well, not everything has to be exactly 6 studs+fenders to be good.

I don't mind the 8 wide Creator 3-in-1 vehicles that much, especially the large (31052) 2016 camper set was great.

As for 2020 Speed Champions, I hope the Lamborghini cars are not 8 wide, I can understand the Jaguar Pace car being 8 wide to fit 4 figures but unless they make the Lamborghini Urus (and want it to fit 4 figs again), it should be at most 6 wide.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, LegoDW said:

It depends what scale your city is at me what vehicle it is, 7900 is 12 studs wide, 7249 is 14, 7344 is 14, 7998 is 14 and 7685 comes in at a whopping twenty studs wide! Even it’s baby brother remake (60074) is twelve studs wide! 

That size is outrageous for any car but if 60074 was smaller it’d look, well…

Ain't it rather that the 6 wide trains are, not wide enough?

Yeah, it IS the classic width, I know.

7 hours ago, Shiva said:

Ain't it rather that the 6 wide trains are, not wide enough?

Yeah, it IS the classic width, I know.

Even for trains, I think it still comes down to preference, that's the thing with LEGO, the fact it can be adapted/changed easily makes it somewhat different then a model railroad (for example marklin).

Also even just going by this forum, preference seems to vary a lot, people have different layouts, different scales of cars, and trains, and different opinions of "minifig scale" etc, which makes perfect sense for a flexible toy system like LEGO.

While sets have been more and more based off real life cars over the years (Speed Champions most notably), and recently the Disney Train being based on a real (amusement park) Train, there's no true standard.

Creator 3-in-1 has had cars from tiny 4-wide cars that come with houses to 8+ wide camper/4x4 truck in the same recent years.

But variation vehicle sizes has been a thing pretty much forever, from system vehicles that don't even fit vehicles, to Model Team, to small to huge technic cars.

Trains have been 6-wide in sets, but that doesn't mean it's bad to adapt to 8-wide if said person would like that.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Even for trains, I think it still comes down to preference, that's the thing with LEGO, the fact it can be adapted/changed easily makes it somewhat different then a model railroad (for example marklin).

Exactly! And that's basically what i made this discussion from. Preference!