Sign in to follow this  
TJJohn12

[MOC] Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Passenger Cars (1955)

The original Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad included a set of striking passenger coaches - yellow, red, and dark green. These five cars chugged around the park from opening day in 1955 until they were decommissioned in 1974. The car design - loading and unloading like a real 19th century train car from the ends - was just too inefficient for the growing theme park.

48952800978_75f89c39fb_z.jpg

See More Photos on Flickr

These MOCs have been a dream of mine for a while - with various versions and solutions for its design living in my head for over a decade. When LEGO released the official Disney Train and Station set, I knew it was time to solidify the design and finally build Walt's original train cars.

These models are designed to fit right alongside the C.K. Holliday from the official set. It is 8-wide model, very much like LEGO's design for the Lilly Belle Parlor Car. This car however is slightly longer, and uses jumper plates to depict the original Combine Car's beadboard design. These cars feature custom designed stickers to replicate the original 1955 opening day look.

If you'd like to build your own Retlaw coaches (or use the design to make cars in another livery), I've created PDF instructions. Links are available in the descriptions of the photos on Flickr.

-John

48953352351_810c0fbfcd_z.jpg

See More Photos on Flickr

I really love the train cars! You did a really great job. I also love replacing the dark green with dark blue; I'm going to have to steal that idea. I also might steal the train car idea. I want to look at the different cars the disney trains have pulled, and maybe make several. I also really appreciate the effort you've put into your photography. 

A small suggestion I feel would help your train; you can get 1/8th inch gold striping tape and add the gold lines onto the boiler. I've done it on some of my models and it looks really good. 

1 hour ago, Carefree_Dude said:

I really love the train cars! You did a really great job. I also love replacing the dark green with dark blue; I'm going to have to steal that idea. I also might steal the train car idea. I want to look at the different cars the disney trains have pulled, and maybe make several. I also really appreciate the effort you've put into your photography. 

A small suggestion I feel would help your train; you can get 1/8th inch gold striping tape and add the gold lines onto the boiler. I've done it on some of my models and it looks really good. 

Thanks! I'm actually working on a full set of 1955-accurate LEGO-style custom stickers for the Holliday (and the Ripley as well).

The Freight Train was the actual consist that the Holliday pulled in '55 - they're striking cars as well. I suspect dark red would make for some really nice versions. There's a great thread over at Burnsland on a freight train model build: https://www.burnsland.com/disneyrailroads/viewtopic.php?t=4556 (You'll need a Photobucket fixer plugin for your browser). Also, there were no seats in the Freight Train originally - Walt wanted people to stand like cows in the cattle car. No kidding!

Edited by TJJohn12

Sorry to dig this old thread up but wow! I really love these designs! I'd like to try and bricklink these, but do you sell the custom stickers you made for them? Those really complete the look and the cars just wouldn't look right without them!