Sign in to follow this  
monetarist

General Questions: Power Functions

Hi ;-)

I'm new to LEGO and started with Technic.
However, I face problems when using PF. I built several models such as the Aston Martin Vantage GT3 by Thorsten50 or the class 1 unlimited buggy by agrof. The problem is that whenever I try to use LEGO PF nothing happens. If I use Buwizz it works.
I do understand that the Aston Martin is supposed to work with Buwizz. I'm just worried that I make fundamental mistakes, maybe the mechanic is too tightly constructed?
It's just weird that whenever I use vanilla PF the model does show little to no response.
How do I check whether my construction is working as smoothly as intended?

If the topic was already discussed I did not find it, sorry.

Best regards,
Christoph

Hummmm.. first of all if the model don't have a neutral switch so you can push the model by hand, Push it by hand, you can feel the resistance if you built the model to tight.. If there is no neutral switch, the first step is to remove the PF motors and reconnect the PF cables and battery to IR element and the motors to IR element/receiver on the table or workbench  and make sure your batteries are good in the joystick and battery pack.. when you turn it on , the IR element would blink and when you move the joystick, you'll see the leds lights in the IR element blink. there are switches on the IR element and the joystick and make sure the switches are on 1 or A on both parts .. there are 4 channels so you must make sure the joystick/controller and IR receiver  are on the same channels.. 

Edited by sirslayer

Maybe I need to elaborate the problem a bit more. I really lack in expirience when it comes to actual building Technic. What I don't lack is parts. I have enough PF/IR to build a number of models. In general, I test the build several times in the process of construction. I also tested the Batteries.

What bothers me is that, e.g. in case of the Class 1 Buggy, everything tests fine. Wheels, steering and lights work fine with IR in my hands. However, if I try to drive it everything freezes after 30-50 cm. The same was  true with the Warthog or anything I built with IR parts. As soon as I use the Buwizz everything is fine.

So I asked myself wheter I'm making mistakes. If I watch the videos about the Buggy on youtube the difference in performance is just jaw-dropping.

Instead of testing your equipment in complicated MOCs you can try to build a very simple vehicle with your PF parts and check the performance compared to BuWizz. Depending on the batteries used it has to be comparable to the normal/fast settings of BuWizz.

Could be something as simple as differentials installed backwards. But first, test all motors, battery boxes, IR receivers, remotes, etc. individually or as suggested above, on a simple vehicle. Also, there is a difference between type R1 and R2 IR receiver, that is not compatible with some motors, do a search to learn more.

Thank you for the fast and helpful replies.

I conclude that as everything works just fine with Buwizz/normal which is supposed to be equivalent to PF/IR the problem is most likely the IR. Those do not work well in any combination IR R1/IR R2 vs. M/L/XL-motors.

And thinking of it, I build the Alfa Romeo 4C spider by Jeroen Ottens. This one worked just fine with IR. I guess I was lucky combining the fitting components.

I will check that.

I'm building these models to learn. I want to construct something on my own, so a simple model is not so helpful. I did some, such as the stuff published by Racing Brick and 42082, 42083, 42095, 42081. No offense, but with the instructions provided by LEGO these are very easy to build. 

1 hour ago, JGW3000 said:

Did you check the batteries in your PF battery box?

Yes, I have a device to check these.

It must by the combination of IF/Motors. I just built the Juggernaut SUV by MajklSpajkl to test the components.

In my mind, there is no other explanation. If the models were inaccurately built the Buwizz would also fail. Once again, thanks to all of you.

I see you've run into the issue with all sorts of motors. I do recall that some IR receivers - V2 maybe? - have major issues with certain M motors and perhaps some of the older IR receivers have a hard time feeding L motors, but I've never heard of issues running XL motors.

How many motors have you got per channel? More than two motors of any kind running on the same channel are likely (but not certain) to suffer.

Thank you, once again.

The problem was indeed that not every IR receiver does handle the L-motors well. However, I have decided to restrict the usage of IR to testing models under construction. For finished models I will exclusively use the Buwizz in the future. That allows me to use a controller and is overall just providing more juice.

I got most of my parts via ebay and have a lot of IR components. I guess I just sell them on bricklink.

The bluetooth provided by the TLG just seems not worth looking into.

Edited by monetarist