Lowa

Running PF Motors from the Power Grid

A few of you, e.g. @Toastie regretted we removed the PF connectors from our Power Brick for the control buttons.  

To overcome that modification, we just released a small PF power box that allows you to run your PF devices from the power grid; you no longer need a PF battery box and replace / recharge batteries.

PF-Power-Box-300-2.jpg

We tried to keep it as simple and small as possible.  There are two PF connectors; they both provide 9V power (GND and 9V pin) and full motor power (C1 and C2 pin): one connector provides clockwise motor power, the other counterclockwise motor power.  You can control the motor power by adding an IR receiver and use your PF remotes.  You can connect multiple motors spinning in the same direction by stacking the PF cables.  It comes with an 9V/2A power adapter.  We can provide the adapter with a US, EU, UK or AU plug.

You can see it in action on the video below:

It's currently available in our US/International webshop, it's going to become available in our European bricklink shop in the near future.

Let us know what you think!

Edited by Lowa
Typo

2 hours ago, coinoperator said:

Absolute TOP IDEA.

Thumbs up.
Praises...
etc

Yes. As always, I like to add. This is fantastic.

With very best regards,
Thorsten

Shut up and take my money! ... Definately will be ordering a few of these in the near future!  Love the simplicity of it.

3 hours ago, Carefree_Dude said:

How many PF devices can you connect to it?

It depends on the type of motors and the load on the motors.  The power adapter can provide 2A of current.  You can find some info on how much current the motors draw using the link below:

http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

Yes. As always, I like to add. This is fantastic.

With very best regards,
Thorsten

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Shut up and take my money! ... Definately will be ordering a few of these in the near future!  Love the simplicity of it.

Great!  Simplicity was indeed what we were going for with this one.

Edited by Lowa

Simply brilliant. If these sell well you might want to consider adding a deluxe version that has the speed control (resistors or PWM) built in similar to the LiPo battery box. In any event, I could see these being a big hit with the GBC folks.

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Simply brilliant. If these sell well you might want to consider adding a deluxe version that has the speed control (resistors or PWM) built in similar to the LiPo battery box. In any event, I could see these being a big hit with the GBC folks.

That was my thought as well

On 10/24/2019 at 3:52 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Yes, ideal for GBC modules that run at full speed, leaving the train controllers for those that don't. The only downside is that it's not as easy to turn off as a train controller. I'll be buying some once they're in the European shop.

Could you add a PF to 9v converter cable and use it to power a track loop? Such as this set up:

Power box > IR receiver > PF/9v converter > track connector?

I can see 2 uses at least, first as a set it and leave it booster for large loops that need extra power and second it could allow operators at shows to be away from the control area and still hit the emergency stop.