Sign in to follow this  
Bodi

[OL-FB] Bomb Ketch "la Bombe"

This is a ship I built 2 years ago and not posted yet till now. As you can see, it has a custom hull made from curved bricks and snot bricks, it's not a large ship but is parts intensive. The rigging and the sails are quite primitive, the ratlines are absent and the strips on the sails are barely visible, surely due to ageing. 

it has two bombards and two smaller guns.

IqWhmd.jpg

The hull built with plates looks not sturdy enough for a bomb ketch, which usually had reinforced hull to withstand the recoil of the bombard. Now I think the smaller prefab hull would be a better choice for ships of this type.

A tiller instead of a steering wheel, seems that the steering wheels were mainly used by larger ships.

The hull length is 55 studs, I intend to license it has a class 4 ship, if the ship committee sees no inconvenient.

Vive le Roi!

Bodi again with another great ship:D

Very nice hull, I like the different stud orientations. Brackets really are a helpful tool for shipbuilding. The colour scheme looks very fitting for Oleon.
On the penultimate picture the poop deck looks bit peculiar in comparison to the narrow hull in front of it. Don't really know how to describe it. Might just be the perspective, as it looks fine on the others, especially the first and third ones.
I won't say much about the rigging, as it looks very nice, but I know you can do better. Still, this one is a few years old so maybe that's why. The square sail on the mizzen mast seems a bit too square?  Maybe a bit of narrowing it towards above would give her some more elegance. Does this ship still exist?
Think I'll be able to take lots of inspiration from that hull for my attempt to build a Xebec.

While I'm not in the ship-committee, I think class 4 is fine. The only reason I would subtract one point is that you are still building for the wrong faction:D

You also seem to have a nice outdoor place there.

P.S.: Ever thought about joining flickr? I would like to include your ships in my gallery.

Edited by Wellesley

Thanks, Wellesley. Brackets are indeed very useful for shipbuilding, I got a lot of them from the bricks wall of the local store, they were available in white and black. 

3 hours ago, Wellesley said:

On the penultimate picture the poop deck looks bit peculiar in comparison to the narrow hull in front of it. Don't really know how to describe it. Might just be the perspective, as it looks fine on the others, especially the first and third ones.

It must be due to perspective, the poop is tilted and has a trapezoid shape, it's attached to the cabin with hinges.

And I agree with the rigging and sails, I should work more on them but that was the best I could do 2 years ago.:pir-grin:

Does this ship still exist?

Yes, the photos were taken today. I usually refrain myself from demolishing my ships, except when I really need their parts to build newer ones.

building for the wrong faction

Nay sir, I'm in the right faction.:wink:

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Very nice indeed sir!

Glad you like it, sir.

Once again an amazing ship from you Bodi!

The only thing I am not a huge fan of, is the poop deck (it looks too inclined compared to the stern). But maybe bomb ketches used ot be like that, I have no clue about those ships (should do one as well one day).

Class 4 looks the right class:)

12 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Once again an amazing ship from you Bodi!

The only thing I am not a huge fan of, is the poop deck (it looks too inclined compared to the stern). But maybe bomb ketches used ot be like that, I have no clue about those ships (should do one as well one day).

Class 4 looks the right class:)

Thanks Maxim I, glad to see you back. 

Now I'm not sure why I built the poop deck that way, it's been too long.:pir-grin:

12 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Another fine vessel. :thumbup: That custom hull is pretty neat and good job with the rigging.

Thank you Captain Dee. As Wellesly said, brackets work well for ship building, I may try to build a xebec with the same hull technique.

I really love this one as well. Only the bow is a little disproportionate but still looks good, especially the raised poopdeck is very nice. The colours are great as always, and the techniques must've been a pain to get them looking this good 

53 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

I really love this one as well. Only the bow is a little disproportionate but still looks good, especially the raised poopdeck is very nice. The colours are great as always, and the techniques must've been a pain to get them looking this good 

I think you mean the bow is too big compared to the rest of the ship, that's odd, the pictures are a little bit deformed, it looks better in real. And you are right, it's always a pain to build custom hulls, especially painful for my bricks stock.:pir-grin: