Sign in to follow this  
ozacek

PF remotes for tracked vehicles

Does anyone know of a PF 'small remote' mod for controlling tracked vehicles, that makes a difference between forward+reverse & forward+neutral for turning? I.e. if I want to turn right, there's a difference between L-track forward + R-track backward (harder turn) and L-track forward + R-track neutral (softer turn). 

MOC-10719 on rebrickable is a really great tracked remote, and it can actually produce both turn types, but it's delicate to do, and easy to overdo (i.e. fall into a hard turn).

In his book, Sariel shows a great tracked remote using the large one (the train remote), but like he says, the reaction speed of the large remote is quite slow which makes it somewhat clumsy to use in such a case.

Tracked models work best with subtractor gearing using a train controller.

One channel ensure straight ahead running, the other channel controls the steering from wide radius turns to 180 deg. turn on the spot if the right gears ratios are used.

Sariels book explains how.

Imho the best way to do it is just having two motors, left and right. More compact and less complicated. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

17 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Imho the best way to do it is just having two motors, left and right. More compact and less complicated. 

I'm actually talking about the two-motor case. Of course I could just manually control the two sticks on the remote, but I was looking for a more elegant solution in the style of MOC-10719.
I guess one way could be to add a small limiter to that remote. It could be difficult to keep it small though.

20 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Tracked models work best with subtractor gearing using a train controller.

This is certainly true for slower models like construction machines, but for tracked racers (which is the case that intererests me), the responsiveness of the train remote is too slow..

Edited by ozacek

In the end I made one myself. This is a modified MOC-10719 with an embedded limiter that gets triggered every ~20 degrees, which gives 2-steps turns.

IMG_0373.JPG

Edited by ozacek

It's exactly the same feeling as the original, and I find it quite good already. One hand holds the remote (good grip), and the other controls the steering wheel & transversal motion.