LiLmeFromDaFuture

Thoughts on TROS?

At least every scene with Adam Driver will be good. He is easily the best character in the whole franchise. Way better than Vader in the originals. And especially Anakin in the prequels

My sarcasm detector must be on the blink. I'm not picking up any readings at all. Something must definitely be wrong.

the clip with the horses fills me with dread.... I hope its decent, but I suspect these three films will be used in the future as lessons in how to alienate a core audience and destroy a franchise. Hopefully it will also highlight the importance of mapping out logical trilogy plots and understanding the rules of the world you are writing for- before you start filming. Why Disney needs to learn this lesson for Star Wars when they have been doing it so carefully for Marvel is really beyond me. 

At this point my hope is all wrapped up in the Mandilorian. I really fear that SW is at the edge of falling right out of the mainstream.

11 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

At least every scene with Adam Driver will be good. He is easily the best character in the whole franchise. Way better than Vader in the originals. And especially Anakin in the prequels

If the leaked script is correct, he apparently...

Spoiler

... dies falling down a hole. Like, it's a really, really unimpactful, inconsequential way for the character to be cleanly disposed of. Afterwards, Rey - even though she isn't a member of the family - steals the name Skywalker. 

"People keep telling me they know me.  No one does."

Just stopped caring at that point.  To be fair, I barely cared up until that point.

5 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

If the leaked script is correct, he apparently...

Hide contents

... dies falling down a hole. Like, it's a really, really unimpactful, inconsequential way for the character to be cleanly disposed of. Afterwards, Rey - even though she isn't a member of the family - steals the name Skywalker. 

Spoiler

Yeah Ive seen all those leaks. Im confident that the falling in a hole part is definitely not the last we will see of him. JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio have made questionable decisions but that is just too stupid

16 hours ago, Robianco said:

My sarcasm detector must be on the blink. I'm not picking up any readings at all. Something must definitely be wrong.

Aint no sarcasm at all. Vader barely has a character in the originals outside of being intimidating. His turn to the light is not hinted at in the slightest until halfway through the last movie. Anakin speaks for himself

Edited by LEGODrongo01
spoiler

21 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

I don't mind Kylo so much, but I can't get behind his tantrums or how clumsy he is with a Lightsaber.  To the former, I suppose he is the grandson of his mother's father? :shrug_oh_well:

16 hours ago, TwoSolitudes said:

Why Disney needs to learn this lesson for Star Wars when they have been doing it so carefully for Marvel is really beyond me. 

With the confidence they showed in creating their MCU, I wish the same at least happened in their treatment of Star Wars.  I believe such a risky decision to make their own Star Wars would ultimately paid off. 

4 hours ago, Schneeds said:

"People keep telling me they know me.  No one does."

Just stopped caring at that point.  To be fair, I barely cared up until that point.

The irony is strong with that line.  I wonder if they actually meant that towards the fans disgruntled about her character :laugh:.

4 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah Ive seen all those leaks. Im confident that the falling in a hole part is definitely not the last we will see of him. JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio have made questionable decisions but that is just too stupid

Aint no sarcasm at all. Vader barely has a character in the originals outside of being intimidating. His turn to the light is not hinted at in the slightest until halfway through the last movie. Anakin speaks for himself

Lol, first of all, Vader definitely does have a character - he's arguably the second-most important personality in all three films of the OT (an assertion that is supported simply by how much screen time is dedicated specifically to him). 

Moreover, I would argue that there are minor allusions to Vader's conflict even starting in Episode IV, particularly the line "you should not have come back." A ruthless killer filled with an unquenchable hatred would never utter words laced through with such melancholy.

This conflict is dramatically expanded upon in Empire, where Vader first suggests turning Luke (in direct opposition - though it is never stated - to outright killing his son [which seems to have been the Emperor's initial ambition]). I would argue that Vader's desire to overthrow the Emperor ISN'T just based upon a Sith inclination to kill/inherit, but rather to shift the galaxy back towards some form of sanity (an sentiment he shared in urging Padme to join him in seizing the Republic, though he was a bit too drunk on power at that point to make it seem like anything but crazy talk). His unwillingness to finish the job with Luke when the younger Skywalker refuses to help ("he will join us or die"), and intervention to save Chewbacca (it doesn't matter if Vader wasn't trying to save Chewie specifically - he was attempting to prevent unnecessary loss of life) are further very strong examples.

FqK3E.png

Did Lucas have a clear idea of where Vader's character was going (or his origins) while writing ANH? No. But he was clearly toying with some form of redemption for the character, which was greatly enhanced in Empire. So yeah, Vader DOES have a character and IS definitely struggling with some internal conflict throughout the OT. Please do not undersell the greatest screen villain in the history of cinema. Kylo Ren cannot hold a candle to his grandfather. 

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

9 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Vader maybe an old shoe but from the way his design was filmed to the way Earl Jones voiced him - there was a lot of character; it just wasnt as superficial and "look into the camera and directly tell the audience whats going on" stuffy. Sure he was mostly a tool to the OT movies but just look at the subtext in Empire: he's driven by his desire to find Luke no matter the cost; when he finds him he toys with that boy; these moments between these two, have never been recreated or revolutionized in the new movies.

So what is Kylo? His introduction is like: Vader copy cause nostalgia but immediately undercut with jokes, that kick you out of the mood, all the time cause u know we audience too stupid nowdays for actual emotional impact. So thinks the studio bosses. So how ever good the design and the actor for sure are: I dont feel intimidated, I dont feel a threat to our protagonists and I cannt even take him seriously.

Now there's no mystery, no agenda but he's not a convincing psychopath either that I could fear. He's kind of an emo kid and we dont know why Snoky cares about him at all - other than nostalgia; copypaste Emperor-Vader relationship. With Vader there's build up and mystery when u first see it. With Kylo they immediately tell u everything: He's Han+Leia baby that's it. And Rian Johnson so far has stated that there were no further plans for all these characters. That was understandable for Lucas first movie but not for this franchise. So stop telling me JJ Abrahams puts any depth in his fake nostalgia- empty mystery boxes.

..and of course TLJ desaster: first they tease a revolution: he wants to abandon all the old concepts - and then Rian Johnson takes complete turn: no everything stays the same. Kylo evil wanna dominate and destroy without any big ideology or motivation

10 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So the character voted the greatest Cinema villain of all time has 'nothing outside of being intimidating'? This thread started off badly, dipped in the middle and is tailing off towards the end.

2 minutes ago, Robianco said:

So the character voted the greatest Cinema villain of all time has 'nothing outside of being intimidating'? This thread started off badly, dipped in the middle and is tailing off towards the end.

Yeah I overblowed that to fit my argument. Vader is really good but I do think theyve done better at establishing Kylo as a fleshed out character. Ive heard people complain about him being a Vader clone, which was the whole point in episode 7, and that hes not badass enough, which I find contradictory to the Vader clone argument.Plus the throne room fight shows he is a more than capable fighter with a lightsaber. I do think he shouldve won the fight against Rey in episode 7 though.

Kylo works far better at NOT being Vader. Vader didn't seem to have any weakness... Even in his turning back to the light it wasn't really a weakness... it was just his son being more powerful at that point and maybe a confliction in his feelings also.

Kylo works far better at someone much more human who is trying to be someone else, struggling with it, and always doubting whether that's what he really wants. Even as he 'achieves' these things he obviously doesn't feel at peace with himself at all.

I don't have an issue with Kylo or Driver's performance at all. Same with Rey and Daisy's portrayal of her.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:56 PM, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

...So what are your thoughts this far?  Feel free to share anything!

meh.

Edited by lowlead
Capital 'M' to lower case 'm' cuz that's how meh it is.

Easy pass on this one. The sequels truly suck and have no interest in more unoriginal Jar Jar Abrams .looking forward to clone wars 

I've enjoyed the new movies so far and can't wait to see the 9 movie Palpatine arc come to its end.

Edited by gotoAndLego