The Brick Boss

Stickers isn't a big deal! Or is it?

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

-I like sets like speed champions, but it's safe to say that Lego relies way too much on stickers for those. A speed champions car without its stickers doesn't look any amazing.

The real cars rely quite heavily on decals too. Remove all the advertising stickers from the lego versions and they look like the real car without any advertising stuck on.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:48 AM, MAB said:

The real cars rely quite heavily on decals too. Remove all the advertising stickers from the lego versions and they look like the real car without any advertising stuck on.

no, they look like the real car minus the headlights, grille & parts of the car's geometry for many

In my view, many Speed Champion cars ARE very reliant on stickers for it's grille and headlight and would look weird without them.

I only got the 2019 F40 and 911 sets because they actually got headlights using LEGO parts, most of the other Speed Champs using stickered  headlights look very weird to me, and even worse without stickers.

That said, I can understand the need to use stickers as there simply aren't infinitesmall parts in each shape.

Edited by TeriXeri

55 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

In my view, many Speed Champion cars ARE very reliant on stickers for it's grille and headlight and would look weird without them.

I only got the 2019 F40 and 911 sets because they actually got headlights using LEGO parts, most of the other Speed Champs using stickered  headlights look very weird to me, and even worse without stickers.

That said, I can understand the need to use stickers as there simply aren't infinitesmall parts in each shape.

I like the F40. It can also double as a civilian car if you think about it. 

Edited by pooda

3 hours ago, anothergol said:

no, they look like the real car minus the headlights, grille & parts of the car's geometry for many

That is why I said remove the ADVERTISING stickers.

Damn. I didn't know this topic would become a hit. People are still on this thread today. 

Edited by pooda

I find it unfair to lump all speed champions cars together 

75879 has 24 stickers 

75884 has 13 stickers 

75890 has 8 stickers

75879 has 3 x as many stickers! It’s kinda unfair…

On 10/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, hagridshut said:

Stickers also have 2 other problems:

Replacing them in the future can be inconvenient since Lego does not sell replacements.

Stickers are often damaged or creased right out of the box.  

Someone earlier in the thread said that stickers would be more tolerable if Lego open-sourced the graphics.  I agree.  If I knew that I could download and re-print replacements, I would feel better about long term collection maintenance.  

If you have a flatbed colour scanner you could scan your stickers before using them.  Can't really count on online copies being there should LEGO® decides to enforce their copyrights and issue takedowns.  Their stickers are copyrighted material.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:39 AM, Lego David said:

My biggest gripe with stickers are ones that go across multiple pieces

That doesn't happen with modern sets anymore.

Palace Cinema and Disney Train both are examples of stickers going across multiple pieces.

No, they're not.  At least the Disney Train isn't.  "Stickers Across Multiple Parts" means that a single uncut sticker is applied across part boundaries in an assembly.  Modern kits like the Disney Train may have sticker designs that cross part boundaries, but the stickers themselves are cut so that each sticker is applied to exactly one part.

It's a big deal ! Lego should reduce stickers and produce more printed bricks, especially for massively released theme like the police.

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

It's a big deal ! Lego should reduce stickers and produce more printed bricks, especially for massively released theme like the police.

+1!!!

and

+1

and ... so on.

Reason: Sunlight, temperature, coldness, moisture, dryness ... one each and all together ... it degrades them to the extent to become useless - over years.

Best
Thorsten

On 11/2/2019 at 10:41 AM, pooda said:

Damn. I didn't know this topic would become a hit. People are still on this thread today. 

Stickers have been a hot topic on Lego message boards since the invention of message boards.

I believe I am in the majority that would rather spend the extra money and get printed pieces.

Sticker don't age well, and for those of us who pick up second hand sets, stickers are almost always put on askew.

To be fair, I also have printed pieces that look faded, but nothing compared how bad older stickers have worn.

Personally I think Lego should reprint stickers and sell them.

@Gomek I say both printed pieces and stickers have their uses. But if Lego turns away from stickers and goes to printed pieces (and yes, I mean even the Xtra stickers), I wonder how MOCers are going to take it. Most of them rely on Xtra stickers. 

1 hour ago, pooda said:

@Gomek I say both printed pieces and stickers have their uses. But if Lego turns away from stickers and goes to printed pieces (and yes, I mean even the Xtra stickers), I wonder how MOCers are going to take it. Most of them rely on Xtra stickers. 

I would honestly just like to see them do less of them (stickers that is). And for the MOCers, it would also be nice to see Lego release a few element sticker packs for specific themes besides city. I always think there's room to make everyone happy*.

(*except scalpers.. that's the only group I really don't feel the need to appease)

Edited by Gomek

6 hours ago, Gomek said:

I would honestly just like to see them do less of them (stickers that is). And for the MOCers, it would also be nice to see Lego release a few element sticker packs for specific themes besides city. I always think there's room to make everyone happy*.

Agreed! 

6 hours ago, Gomek said:

(*except scalpers.. that's the only group I really don't feel the need to appease)

What are scalpers? 

17 hours ago, Gomek said:

Stickers have been a hot topic on Lego message boards since the invention of message boards.

I believe I am in the majority that would rather spend the extra money and get printed pieces.

I don't think the majority of buyers would want to spend more to get printed pieces. Maybe the majority of AFOLs, although even then there are those that like stickers especially if the printed part doesn't exist in a plain form. As a parent, I don't really care that my kids need to apply stickers to their sets. I wouldn't want a $20 to increase to $22 just so they didn't have stickers.

17 hours ago, pooda said:

Where do you get the idea that most MOCers rely on stickers, and particularly xtra stickers? Many MOCers don't use any stickers and instead let the parts be the decoration. It really depends what you MOC. The xtra stickers are very new. MOCers managed fine before they existed and would manage fine if they disappeared.

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Tries to start an argument with me as always. 

Well, you have made a statement that most MOCers rely on xtra stickers. That is simply not true. Look at the MOCs posted on here over the past ten years, how many have relied on xtra stickers?

Most MOCs I see, that use stickers at all, use custom stickers, or are digital renders that would use custom stickers if built physical.

Xtra stickers came out only February this year and were unavailable/out of stock at the European Lego website from April - October 2019 (6 months!) , while I do support Xtra sticker packs and am glad they are produced/sold again, it's far from the only sticker pack used by MOCs.

As for the opinion of Stickers vs Prints, I always support prints, as long as they are proper quality (alignment/opacity) and durability.

Many of my old LEGO Classic Space prints from 30+ years ago still look great, it's mostly the metallic prints that have worn off. Later 90s town prints seemed to scratch more easily, especially those baseplates which were grey printed on green plastic. (and this is all through play, not display)

Edited by TeriXeri

12 minutes ago, MAB said:

Well, you have made a statement that most MOCers rely on xtra stickers. That is simply not true. Look at the MOCs posted on here over the past ten years, how many have relied on xtra stickers?

I said "rely". Not "relied". Learn the difference between past and present tense. 

Edited by pooda

15 minutes ago, pooda said:

I said "rely". Not "relied". Learn the difference between past and present tense. 

The problem with present is that it is not fixed. You need to go back some time to see what MOCs are being presented, and they are all in the past.

But even so how many MOCers currently rely on xtra stickers, since they were first sold? In my view, most MOCers do not use xtra stickers. For a start, they only really cover City style stickers, so MOCers in space, castle, pirates, etc will not rely on them. And just within City, look at the number of MOCs posted on EB that have not used them. Those MOCers have somehow managed to keep going without using a product that is less than a year old.