The Brick Boss

Stickers isn't a big deal! Or is it?

@MAB They rely on stickers period. If stickers are discontinued at all, it'll cause problems. Printed pieces are ok and all, but if Lego diverts completely away from stickers to use printed pieces, then its going to be harder on MOCers, especially rookies like myself, now than it was when stickers, which you don't have to put on, were available. 

Point is....getting rid of stickers all together is a bad move! Just like they wouldn't get rid of sets that sell well. 

Many of the more experienced MOCers will usually make their own custom stickers anyway as they more suit their builds, just look at the dozens of Train MOCs.

I like the Xtra sticker pack concept, but for actual sets I'd love if they'd go to 100% (high quality) printed parts.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, pooda said:

@MAB They rely on stickers period. If stickers are discontinued at all, it'll cause problems. Printed pieces are ok and all, but if Lego diverts completely away from stickers to use printed pieces, then its going to be harder on MOCers, especially rookies like myself, now than it was when stickers, which you don't have to put on, were available. 

Point is....getting rid of stickers all together is a bad move! Just like they wouldn't get rid of sets that sell well. 

First of all, the xtra stickers, which are what you claim most MOCers rely on. MOCers were able to MOC before the xtra stickers were produced. There are years worth of history of MOCs here showing that. The xtra stickers have been around for less than a year, have they been a game changers? The answer is simple - no. I don't think I have seen a single MOC that would not have been possible before the xtra stickers came along. I don't think I have seen a single MOC where the xtra stickers have made it into something special that wasn't already possible before xtra stickers were being sold. To claim that most MOCers now rely on them (with the implication that they couldn't do without them) is crazy.

As to more general stickers, sure some people use official stickers in MOCs just like some use printed parts in MOCs. Some people even use official stickers on parts that they were not intended for, which is not possible for printed parts. But not a majority of MOCers. Other MOCers make their own stickers to provide detail. Stickers are fine if they add detail that isn't possible through other ways, although if a MOC (or set) relies on them so much to define what it is then chances are it is not a very good MOC.

34 minutes ago, pooda said:

MOCers could remove prints on LEGO® pieces with Brasso or a mild polishing compounds.  If there is a will (and elbow grease), there is a way.  I keep a separate bin for printed parts and use when appropriate.

22 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

MOCers will usually make their own custom stickers anyway as they more suit their builds, just look at the dozens of Train MOCs.

Yup, they do and stick large stickers over several bricks too.  Or reuse the LEGO® stickers for MOCs like GARC Racing spaceships.   Generally, it is less work to use the LEGO® ones.  Making your own stuff can be fun too if you are so inclined.

show5.jpg

Multiple people ganging up on me is pretty common. I should've headed to the warnings I received from former members of this forum. They said people on here can be really stoney. 

LOOK!!!! I don't have an issue with stickers. Deal with it! Understand? 

Edited by pooda

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Yup, they do and stick large stickers over several bricks too.  Or reuse the LEGO® stickers for MOCs like GARC Racing spaceships.   Generally, it is less work to use the LEGO® ones.  Making your own stuff can be fun too if you are so inclined.

Yeah, a decent MOC will be enhanced by well designed stickers. Although of course add stickers to a bad design and it will still look like a bad design with stickers - stickers shouldn't be used to try to make a bad design better, whether it is a MOC or an official set. 

Your TOROLUG container is most definitely enhanced by the decal as is the building, but most of all I love that cat face carriage on the right hand side of the picture. Is that based on the Tama Train?

I believe we should slow down a bit here.

Nobody is ganging up on anybody - it may feel like but there is really no reason to think so. And when former members of this forum told you, some here are really stoney, what's wrong with it? Stone old as well, this happens from time to time. To me as well. I am stone old and maybe even stoney. Not the point though. They voice their view and that was what I did as well.

I think we should put the "I believe", "in my opinion", "as far as I am concerned", "If you'd ask me" more often when beginning a paragraph. 

I believe:wink: nobody here finds any truth and has any wisdom or insight to the extent to make a statement like: "MOCers need stickers". Or: "Stickers suck". Or "without stickers, the world will come to a grinding halt". Or "with stickers, the sun will always shine on TV". Or whatever.

I (solely for myself) don't like stickers that much. For a reason. My room gets blistering hot in the summer, my models are sometimes exposed to sun, in winter it becomes rather cold here, and stickers simply do not survive up here. But it is my fault, to do it up here in the attic, it is my fault that I don't protect the stickered bricks, it is my feeling that I don't like them that much.

I cannot and I will not tell anybody what I believe the rest of the world is thinking about them. Because I surely don't know that. I have not searched the "Comprehensive Stickered LEGO Model Database of 2019" as I simply don't care. I am happy what makes people happy.

You like stickers? That is perfect. Really. It is your right to do so. Maybe others don't. So what. It is always good to know that they also know not that much about The Truth - they don't. Some believe, some more, some less. They don't, that's all.

With that: Lets enjoy building MOCs - with or without stickers is entirely up to each of us.

Best wishes and have a nice evening (its 8 pm here),
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

And when former members of this forum told you, some here are really stoney, what's wrong with it? 

Uh.....do you know what version of stony I was mentioning? 

I meant stoney as in being an absolute jerk. According to the Merriam Websters dictionary, it means to be unfriendly. 

OK, no it didn't. Sorry.

But this is another aspect: I am German. Not proud of it - but hey, I was born here - so I try to cope with it. You are not - you are a native speaker of this forum's defined language (as judged by your avatar's caption) I actually like very much, for many reasons, another story. Not saying that I do know to use it appropriately - not at all. 

But when posting here, the "world" - with all derivatives of history, culture, usage of an "acquired" language, is communicating. I sometimes have the impression that people ... tend to forget or are not even aware of that. Just because we are using the same language does not mean we know how to use it appropriately - nor do we know what is really meant by individual phrases. You know, translate "You suck" into German, man - "Du saugst" makes absolutely no sense - none what so ever.

"Unfriendly", "absolute jerk" ... you know, don't let it creep up onto you. This is an open environment - and as they repeatedly stated: For adults. My, my, the "adult" thing is tough. What does that suppose to mean? Type in "FU*K Y*U" and the adult thing is gone, as the forum system forwards your user details to every secret service in the world. I AM JOKING. 

The very moment you voice an opinion in an open environment, you'll have all sorts of folks agreeing, disagreeing, nice people, people who believe to know it better, people who care, like or dislike what you are saying, the elderly having seen >everything< already and believe to know everything better, the younger full of energy and >maybe< less experienced, and a gazillion others. All ready to type in a reply.

Stony this or that - just don't get into that crap. Somebody does not like your approach, reasoning, conclusion, opinion? So let it be. Bring forward your arguments but do not care about the Merriam Webster Dictionary's stonies. Do your thing and voice your opinion - and keep calm.

Best wishes,
Thorsten

I generally don't like stickers, and almost never use them. I prefer set designs that work without them. If something can't be done "in the brick" by TLG to create the desired look, then I prefer printed parts, so long as there aren't lots of them. Case in point: the trans-clear piece with the printed stained-glass rose from the Beauty & The Beast set. It's a beautiful detail that can't be done any other way besides a sticker; and I much prefer it printed if only for durability. Meanwhile, the trans-clear stained-glass panel of the dancing prince and princess from the B&B castle set is... a sticker (and one of the very few I've used.) I would've much rather had a printed panel. :cry2: When a MOC or set goes full sticker bonanza, especially with customs, part of what makes it a unique form of artistic expression (like, uh, being creative with LEGO parts...) is lost in translation. But in that regard, to each his/her own. If other builders want stickers, have at it. And I just now learned that the xtra stickers even exist (whatever they are...). :classic:

On 11/5/2019 at 4:56 AM, icm said:

"Stickers Across Multiple Parts"

Or, as Bricklink defines it, "sticker over megablocks..."

edit: ah damn, censorship just ruined my joke

Edited by anothergol

I think it is about where the stickers are used. For me it is ok in the Harry Potter sets to use stickers to give certain walls some texture. It is sad, because such walls with printed design were great to play with as a child, but it is still "ok" because the sets have a lot of nice figures and value for the money. The point where i think it's not ok anymore is when they make people feel annoyed enough to do custom prints. Things like the UCS-Millenium falcon, The Ghosbuster HQ or the Simpsons houses. What i can't accept is something like the Mystery Maschine set. You won't recognise the car anymore, when the stickers in the outside peel off - and mine are even printed wrong, so there is a piece in the middle of the "Mystery Maschine"-writing missing on one side. If the detail is so much needed that you won't recognise what the model represents without it, it should be printed.

Edited by Gorilla94

14 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

The point where i think it's not ok anymore is when they make people feel annoyed enough to do custom prints.

But can't custom prints go bad too? I mean.....they're still stickers. 

17 minutes ago, pooda said:

But can't custom prints go bad too? I mean.....they're still stickers. 

Excuse me. English isn't my first language. What do you mean with "still stickers"? I was talking about custom pad- or UV-printing bricks by third party companies with grafics you do with gimp/photoshop/Inkscape. If somebody puts so much effort, time and money into it, it indicates that Lego went too far with making the detail a cheap sticker.

There can happen mistakes, of course. But most of that companies will refund or give you a new part if they ruined your brick. 

Edited by Gorilla94

5 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

I was talking about custom pad- or UV-printing bricks by third party companies with grafics you do with gimp/photoshop/Inkscape. If somebody puts so much effort, time and money into it, it indicates that Lego went too far with making the detail a cheap sticker.

There can happen mistakes, of course. But most of that companies will refund or give you a new part if they ruined your brick. 

Ok! I get it. But I still don't mind stickers. 

On 11/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, anothergol said:

Or, as Bricklink defines it, "sticker over megablocks..."

edit: ah damn, censorship just ruined my joke

17 hours ago, MAB said:

What was the joke, as BL defines it as STicker Across Multiple Parts.

https://www.bricklink.com/help.asp?helpID=973

Did the joke have anything to do with...

Parts that can be made Out of Other Parts ( or P O O P )

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Did the joke have anything to do with...

Parts that can be made Out of Other Parts ( or P O O P ) 

Totally

StickerOver.jpg

Well, sometimes I - more rarely but I do - put them on - and sometimes I don't. It just depends. Sometimes I'm in the mood, sometimes I'm not.

"POOP" here or "never" there - I just do not care for "absolutism", as it leaves no much room.

Whatever.

Do as you see fit.

Best
Thorsten 

I don't apply stickers for the most part. I do that only when the part seems to be something I wouldn't use in a MOC. Like a really big part. The main reason is that I don't want to remove the sticker that was applied in case I will need that part later. That being said I don't throw any of them away.

Welp! Looks like you guys got what you wanted as far as City is concerned. 

For small boxed vehicles, you get printed pieces instead of stickers.