ztp

[MOC] Hat Village Train Station V2

Hello! Here are the photos of my train/city display shown at Paredes de Coura FanWeekend 2019.

48929065462_7e25aca805_c.jpg

Hat Village Train Station V2 Album by José Proença, on Flickr

Of notice:

• A different take on track ballast. Example here
  • I'm using a custom catenary non-lego "cable" with a simple tensioning system. Check here
  • Custom lighting system with no electrical cables at sight. Like in here.
  • Tried to simulate tube lights (reduced spotlight effect) with one LED. See with lights on and with lights off
  • Exterior elevator/lift with moving cabin, controlled by a hand rotated tire on the top. See elevator here.
  • Illuminated train signal lights with no cut/drilled parts and two wires only to control lighting. These will be upgraded to a new design soon! Check signal light here.
  • It measures 4x16 baseplates and it is transported in 4x4 stacked units.

Sadly, only allows 8-wide trains max (including greblies, bars, etc).

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by ztp
Added links to simulation of tube lights. Cleaned up links.

Very nice ZTP and welcome to Eurobricks and the Train Tech forum too! Enjoy your stay!

1 hour ago, Thai bricks said:

Can you share how you did the signals, please?

Please check my "Railway automation album" for those.

Although my next design for train signals is not yet there. But the pole and LEDs technique will be the same.

Looking great. the Layout itself as well all those 'small' details like the maintance guys, the contstruction workers in the station and the guy taking pictures. Most of all I think the trainstation looks really nice.
Great in the dark too :wink:

Very impressive with lots of great details (e.g., the railings/walls on the pedestrian bridge are simply brilliant). And you have packed just about as much operational complexity as humanly possible in such a small space, with the ability for trains to exit the station going either way around the loop, the service tracks, etc.

Thank you all for your kind words. They are a stimulus.

@Sérgio Your trains would look great here! (although they probably could not go far because of most being more than 8 wide, I guess) :grin:

16 hours ago, ztp said:

Thank you all for your kind words. They are a stimulus.

@Sérgio Your trains would look great here! (although they probably could not go far because of most being more than 8 wide, I guess) :grin:

I have some 6 and 7 wide trains, if you want to try :) the main problem will be the curves, they are long, they probably will put down some catenary, and we don't wanna destroy such an amazing layout. 

Near future plans:
- Raise the all display using MILS, where power can be easily passed along. Check my idea.

- Motorize all switch points using a tire and a motor.

- Have all signal lights with LEDs.

- Have a Bluetooth custom system to control the all thing.

- Use TrixBrix R56 curves on the edges of the layout to introduce parallel curves tracks.

- Use custom crossover switch by cutting regular track switches.

15 minutes ago, bricks n bolts said:

This is great, a lot of hard work has gone into this so far, can't wait for further updates.

Anyone who does an amazing train layout like that is a hard worker. 

Loving all the comments from you, guys. Thank you, very much!
And what I would love really the most is if you can say what you liked better and what you didn't like (that much?), improvements, suggestions, all that.

That would help a lot because I'm transforming and evolving this display in the next years!

Attached is the image of my planning for the next version using R56 curves and custom crossover switches. The two "end of line" tracks in the left are for a train maintenance building (those must have a proper name...).

Thanks a lot!

Layout-V3.gif

5 hours ago, ztp said:

Loving all the comments from you, guys. Thank you, very much!
And what I would love really the most is if you can say what you liked better and what you didn't like (that much?), improvements, suggestions, all that.

[snip]

Since you ask ... how about hiding the back part of the loop (the track against the wall) in a city landscape - basically facades that give the impression of a lively city in which this station is situated, with the trains running through the buildings out of sight of spectators?

Impressive layout. A lot and quite compact. The catenary is really nice. I like you also did the tensioning system. And LEGO also has that black thread in some sets so you could get away with it as a LEGO solution. 

On 10/26/2019 at 12:20 AM, Phil B said:

Since you ask ... how about hiding the back part of the loop (the track against the wall) in a city landscape - basically facades that give the impression of a lively city in which this station is situated, with the trains running through the buildings out of sight of spectators?

I agree with this, but I think it would be even better if you had 32 or 64 deep building in front of the facade.

I like the thought of the facade as well.  It could be done simply with a couple tunnels.  And just 4 studs deep of the modular instructions.  I plan to do something similar with my industrial switch game seeing as it went over well this year!

I know here locally we call it the maintenance shed or car shop depending on what it's maintaining.  If it's storing engines then is the engine house.

Thank you all for your comments.  :sweet:  :thumbup:

The façade idea would be interesting if my plan wasn't to expand the display to the side by doubling it. My idea is to make that road that goes to the side start a slope and enter into a mediterranean village on a hill side. I've started experimenting with the slope road: 

20190103 235426 s17888

Edited by ztp

6 hours ago, ztp said:

I've started experimenting with the slope road:

That could still work make a tunnel under the road ... Then you could have two tracks on the back side serve as "destination " trains.  Run train A around and stop behind the curtain.  The activate train B ... Would give the idea that your train ”went somewhere"