Jim

[REVIEW] 42110 - Land Rover Defender

10 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks for the review! Just ordered it based on this. See possibilities for another B model :wink:.

Hehe, let me know. I will keep it assembled till I need to build a B-model :wink: 

Another great review Jim. Thank you.

With TLG deeming words as less important than the moving image I understand your considering a change to your usual excellent review format. No matter what you decide, the saving grace will always be your usual high quality pictures which show plenty of detail and so we can clearly see what’s what. You don’t get that with a 32x speed build. TLG. Take note.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:56 PM, Jim said:

Anyway, I'm rambling.

I thought that was my job :sweet:

Edited by grum64
Punctuation

I wonder if this set will replace 8880 from all time best Technic car to take that crown. :classic:

I take back my words in my previous post above. :sad:

After building the Land Rover chassis, I am disappointed. The mechanisms do not work at expected. There is lot of cracking noise. I have followed steps correctly. I saw videos in YouTube complaining about same issue. The UV joins behave in a non-linear fashion which compounded the problem.

The Porsche transmission was simpler but lot more fun. This Land Rover is more of a display model rather than having playability.

2 hours ago, mobi said:

After building the Land Rover chassis, I am disappointed. The mechanisms do not work at expected. There is lot of cracking noise. I have followed steps correctly. I saw videos in YouTube complaining about same issue. The UV joins behave in a non-linear fashion which compounded the problem. 

The Porsche transmission was simpler but lot more fun. This Land Rover is more of a display model rather than having playability. 

I was wondering why you would expect the Defender to dethrone 8880 if both the porsche and bugatti have already failed in that regard.

Ill need to rebuild 8880 sometime, but after building the community corrected porsche, i dont expect 8880 to top that, and i would expect a fixed bugatti or defender to be excellent models as well, its just a bit sad that stock they dont live up to the technic name and price tag

Top notch review. This is a very nicely designed of an existing ruggedised vehicle model. It does look great with the overall olive green facade. Thanks Jim for this review. 

On 10/29/2019 at 2:47 PM, mobi said:

(Jim, I am sorry for offtop ;x)

I have to disagree. If you have braced all the gears correctly, left them a bit of space - you should not hear a single crack. Not even a small one. I strongly encourage you to rebuilt it, so you will be able to enjoy that model as it should be :)

Edited by blondasek
grammar mistake

Second this -  with careful building, when you are check that all gears have enough freedom for spinning freely, correct U-joins and differential aligment (central one, which with wrong spacing scrub agaisnt  U-joints) - You wouldnt hear any cracking in transmission at all.

Awesome pictures, like we are used to :grin:. Many thanks for the review Jim! As for the set, I really like it, they have captured the iconic Land Rover design very good in this set. 

On 10/30/2019 at 4:10 PM, Arioh said:

Second this -  with careful building, when you are check that all gears have enough freedom for spinning freely, correct U-joins and differential aligment (central one, which with wrong spacing scrub agaisnt  U-joints) - You wouldnt hear any cracking in transmission at all.

Hmm, I checked the steps, there is still cracking on gears 3 and 4. 

Even Sariel's YouTube video confirms this. 

Thanks for this review, this model looks great even if prefer sport cars, but it can be a good tow truck to put a trailer with a track car on it :-)

I'll build it soon for sure!

On 10/22/2019 at 12:10 PM, blondasek said:

I love that review! About the model, I am only disappointed that TLG did not include black 3l pins in the set, so the body would look much better.

Totally agree with you on that ;)

Is it actually better or on pair with 42056 and 42083?

This is my first Technic supercar and I always felt those two were overpriced due to premium boxes.