My dear fellow Eurobricks people,

finally, again after a too long while, I managed to prepare something edible (I hope :blush:) out of the finest ABS we all love so much.

Let me introduce you my take on Kenworth W900...

1%20Naslovnica_YT.jpg

I’m a bit ashamed to admit, that this MOC was finished already in early 2018 and it took me until now, to prepare the photos and a video of it. This was built for our LUG’s 20th exhibition KockeFest, that took place in March 2018. It was the time when LEGO Technic Mack Anthem came out, so the theme of Technic section of the exhibition was, naturally, "container trucks and container handling machinery" in same scale as the Mack. We agreed on slightly longer containers, because, let’s be honest, the one on the Mack is a bit too short… so here it is…

17_edit.jpg

This whole eighteen-wheeler is some 108 studs long (87 cm) and 16 studs wide (13 cm), well the wheels might be getting close to 17 studs. The truck alone is about 50 studs (40 cm) long. The size of the containers, we agreed upon, was 15 x 15 x 37 studs (+1 for the door handles so 38 actually) and they represented 20 ft containers. As you can see from the photos, my semi-trailer could carry 2 of them.

3_edit.jpg

I used 1 PF L motor for propulsion and PF servo for steering. Another PF L motor was used for remote fifth wheel lock. It could be powered both with standard PF receivers and LEGO AAA battery boxes or with Buwizz. It was all hidden in the cabin’s sleeper. There was another AAA battery box on the trailer to power PF M motor for the trailer supports.

Front axle is not suspended, but uses virtual pivot steering instead. It was the only way to make so tight mudguards above them and although steering angle is not the best, I think it did the job fine enough.

11_edit.jpg

10.jpg

Due to the bulky setup of servo and virtual pivot steering, I was a bit lazy under the hood, so there is nothing else there. I guess I could mock up some engine, but the way the hood was attached (it can’t be opened), it felt a bit pointless.

15.jpg

There is some unrealistic pendular suspension on both rear axles, but I couldn’t do more on such a thin chassis. I used rubber connectors as dampers. Because the chassis is so slim, it slightly twists when throttle is applied.

12.1.jpg

12.2_edit.jpg

Here’s how this lady looks topless and below the skirt…

12.3_edit.jpg

9_edit.jpg

There are some minor details in and on the the cabin, the sleeper was, as already mentioned, filled with electronics.

16.1.jpg

16.2.jpg

Since this is a semi, it needs a fifth wheel, of course. It is remotely locked and I totally took the cream off of the brilliant 6x6 Truck with Tipper Semi Trailer by Pipasseyoyo, with great ratchet design for the lock.

2_edit.jpg

Ratchet for the fifth wheel lock below the sleeper…

5.jpg

Fifth wheel + hitch/tow ball (I hope that’s what it’s called)...

4_edit.jpg

The trailer was built with Technic bricks - studs down and was sturdy enough for the two containers. It had its own receiver and battery box to operate the supports. The two tandem axles were damped with rubber connectors and adapted to the ground really well. Please forgive me for not filming the movement of the two :wall: :ugh:. I hope the photos will suffice.

6_edit.jpg

7_edit.jpg

13_edit.jpg

14.jpg

Sexy back…:wub:

8_edit.jpg

Some posing to conclude...

18_edit.jpg

19_edit.jpg

20_edit.jpg

...and a short video of course…

Building instructions are available on HERE for a small fee.

Thank you for reading and watching,

I hope you like it,

Best regards,

Miha

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Great small scale Kenworth Miha :thumbup:

I Like it better than Mack

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. :wink:

On 10/20/2019 at 2:16 AM, Bartybum said:

Mmmm looks very nice. It’s a pity Lego don’t make thinner tyres in that size :cry_sad:

Yes I totaly agree. The double wheels do look like a couple of rollers, even the single ones at that scale to be honest. But we have to work with what we've got. We can't stick everything  to scale modelling forum :grin:

Best regards,

Miha

19 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Yes I totaly agree. The double wheels do look like a couple of rollers, even the single ones at that scale to be honest. But we have to work with what we've got. We can't stick everything  to scale modelling forum :grin:

I really should invest in some black flexible/elastic filament for 3D printing. That way I could make tyres and custom Technic wheels.

This is a beautiful Moc!

I like the scale of the Mack, not too big but big enough to add details.

A very good job!

So many great building techniques in such a small chassis, nice work :thumbup: Where does the PF IR receiver for the cab sit?

Your solution of using rubber bumpers as suspension has inspired me to revisit one of my own stalled MOCs with a narrow rear axle, thank you.

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I really should invest in some black flexible/elastic filament for 3D printing. That way I could make tyres and custom Technic wheels.

I didn't know elastic material could be printed as well. Would be interesting to see hot it turns out.

2 hours ago, mpj said:

This is a beautiful Moc!

I like the scale of the Mack, not too big but big enough to add details.

A very good job!

Thank you very much :grin:

55 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

So many great building techniques in such a small chassis, nice work :thumbup: Where does the PF IR receiver for the cab sit?

Your solution of using rubber bumpers as suspension has inspired me to revisit one of my own stalled MOCs with a narrow rear axle, thank you.

Thanks! I just realised that there is no version with PF on the photos. There is only buwizz hidden inside the sleeper. But you can see PF version in the video from about 1:58 further, when the truck is shot from behind. Small AAA battery box is on the bottom of the sleeper, where Buwizz was as well, and both IR receivers are at the top of the sleeper, pointing to the back of the truck. It is a bit harder to see because I camouflaged them a bit with black tiles. Feels got to inspire :wink: I hope you finish your MOC.

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Ohh, It's Godlike! :laugh:  I saw it at your signature for the first time and it was looking great despite the size and quality of the image but now, with all these features, it's a real work of art!

There were a number of similar trucks on a higher scale (62mm wheels) but fill all thete things into 49.5... A perfect Classic Truck is here!

Thank you @Attika. Yes, you are correct about the L motor. Fifth wheel lock really needs only a small force to operate, so "fuelttank look" of the L motor was it.

I like your truck as well, except the tarpaulin maybe - thicker material would look less like a plastic bag ;-) There are never enough trucks, so I am looking forward to see your new one.

Best regards.

This is great! I really like how this looks and the functionality provides a lot of playability for this scale. Well done!

I have to agree with others with respect to the wheels. For a slightly smaller scale, maybe these or these can be a better option, although I understand that you were now constrained by the scale of the containers.

Which part did you use for the kingpin ("towball")? Is it a bionicle part? I've been looking for a part like that for a long time for my truck, but after seeing the video you linked I'm convinced this is probably the best fifth-wheel coupling for functional models...!

I think everyone else has said what I would like to say, lots of very cool technical ideas that I am going to try out

and for the record, W900's are notorious for bending frames in real life.

I'm very much intrigued by your container carrier, but there seems to be little on the net photo wise.. 

Very nice rendition of an iconic truck :wink:

I myself planned on building a w900 at this scale. As you have done it very well, I will move to a European truck! 

Nice use of the virtual pivot steering. Too bad your setup is too wide for my needs. I will definitely look at it!

19 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

less like a plastic bag ;-)

:grin::grin::grin:. Well said. In my defence, the trailer wasn't even in plan yet, but had to do a speedy job to entertain a youngster visitor, so "side curtain" kicked in. :wink: Anyway, thinking of going down to the scale of the mack makes me appreciate even more what you achieved here. :thumbup:

13 hours ago, Ludo Visser said:

This is great! I really like how this looks and the functionality provides a lot of playability for this scale. Well done!

I have to agree with others with respect to the wheels. For a slightly smaller scale, maybe these or these can be a better option, although I understand that you were now constrained by the scale of the containers.

Which part did you use for the kingpin ("towball")? Is it a bionicle part? I've been looking for a part like that for a long time for my truck, but after seeing the video you linked I'm convinced this is probably the best fifth-wheel coupling for functional models...!

When we decided to go with the Mack scale, we kinda decided for the same wheels as well. I admit the first one you suggest might have worked but have never actually tried it out, although I think I have enough of them. I used "normal" technic ball joint on an axle with additional bush for king pin. I believe Pipasseyoyo used this Technic Ball Joint 2 x 7 with 2 Ball Joints, if I am not mistaken. His is better, because as you can see in his video he could hang the whole truck from it. In my case the ball joint would simply slip off the axle, but then again, my truck wasn't intended for such a wild ride + i don't have this part.

13 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I think everyone else has said what I would like to say, lots of very cool technical ideas that I am going to try out

and for the record, W900's are notorious for bending frames in real life.

I'm very much intrigued by your container carrier, but there seems to be little on the net photo wise.. 

Hahaha, so bending chassis is a feature then :laugh:. There will be a story told about the straddle carrier as well... unfortunately it doesn't have such a happy ending. I rather not promise how soon though, but hopefully - soon :wink:

13 hours ago, grego18f said:

Very nice rendition of an iconic truck :wink:

I myself planned on building a w900 at this scale. As you have done it very well, I will move to a European truck! 

Nice use of the virtual pivot steering. Too bad your setup is too wide for my needs. I will definitely look at it!

Maybe you could try a different approach for the same truck in the same scale, although I know it might be a bit hard now, when your mind is "polluted" with my model. Would be interesting to see your version.

_______

Thanks again to all others for very nice words as well. Much appreciated! Somehow, this truck caught an eye of someone from THE LEGO CAR BLOG:blush:

I really like your truck !

The scale, the shape...

I've though about it a lot ant you are the one that inspired me to try to make one of my one.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the dual tires at the rear. Given the width of the tire you used, I think single tires would have looked more natural, as seen on trucks equipped with Super single tires. Anyway, that's the choice I made :snicker:

One other thing that I like very much is your 5th wheel solution. It's very clever and compact, and I think it would fit my own truck very well. Do you mind if I borrow it ? (the credit will be given to you, obviously :classic:)

Hi @Pentomind, thank you for your kind words.

The idea for fifth wheel is NOT MINE (i wish it was :wink:), but from a French (i believe) builder Pipasseyoyo which I credited in my presentation and in the video.

Here is a video of his fantastic truck:

Regarding the tires - yes they are too wide for the scale, but I still liked them better when doubled :-)

Your truck looks good as well but I think that when you'll start with the trailer, you will realise you have to short wheel base - at least that is what happened to me :blush:

Best regards,

Miha

20 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Hi @Pentomind, thank you for your kind words.

The idea for fifth wheel is NOT MINE (i wish it was :wink:), but from a French (i believe) builder Pipasseyoyo which I credited in my presentation and in the video.

Here is a video of his fantastic truck:

Regarding the tires - yes they are too wide for the scale, but I still liked them better when doubled :-)

Your truck looks good as well but I think that when you'll start with the trailer, you will realise you have to short wheel base - at least that is what happened to me :blush:

Best regards,

Miha

Oops I missed that information, credit will therefore go to Pipasseyoyo :-)

Looking at his video I noticed that your 5th wheel mechanism is missing a 1 x 1 round plate on the 3L thin liftarm, which prevent the ball of the kingpin from sliding up out of the locking mechanism. Did you have any issue with that ?

I made some tests with the trailer and it went pretty well. Plus, if I make the wheelbase longer I will increase the turning radius of the truck, which is pretty good currently.