Sign in to follow this  
Paperinik77pk

Crane Locomotive MOC in 7777 style

Hi all, after looking the announcment of Octrainber challenge of this year ("Technic") , I tried to think to something easy and feasible with parts I already have. I won't participate in the event, but I surely will build this little thing.

You know that I like "building in retro style", therefore this locomotive is built only with parts available in the early 80s. I'd say it could easily be a custom Lego coming out from a 7777 book.

It is a Crane Locomotive, inspired by the english Glenfield Crane Locomotive, but adapted to a simple Lego design. I kept the black lines, since it could be nice to change color from blue to red or yellow without too many effort.

Crane Locomotive Technic

It was designed half in LDD and half in STUD.IO, since some parts were not available in LDD only.

It should have been designed with a 4,5v motor, but wheels were not available, therefore I used normal wagon wheels and created a fake motor. In reality It will definitively be a 4,5v train. The weight of the motor will help to keep the whole thing stable.

There's room for a 4,5v light brick for the front central hadlight. As you can see, I had problems to include magnets and couplers . STUD.IO is not so easy to use to me!!!  :ugh:

Crane Locomotive Technic_2

The crane can rotate and the winch is fully working. The two features are moved by the rear controls. The winch will use fishing cable, which is thin and resistant.

Crane Locomotive Technic_3

It is quite rude and unrefined, but since it is a workhorse, therefore it needs to be simple and effective. It somehow resembles the 7710 since I needed some boxy shape to fit the crane rotation mechanism.

Crane Locomotive Technic cutout

The cable is controlled by the lower rear manual wheel. It is rolled up by a Technic axle+bush, then it goes into the red turntable (with central hole), goes up in the two 2x2 round brick, passes the big gear, reaches the pulley and goes to the hook. This long path was required in order to move the winch from the rear of the locomotive without having controls directly on the crane arm. Plus, in this way there's no unwanted crane arm steering due to winching.

As you can see the two round bricks and the gear are kept together by an antenna instead of a technic axle. This is needed to allow the fishing cable to pass in the central holes (the antenna allows some room for the cable in the central hole).

I think this one could be a nice addon to the "Locomotive Factory" in 7777 book, parked in a siding and lifting something! :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

I really like your retrò style ...this crane could really pop up from a lego idea book! :wub:

If you build it in real lego with an electric motor you can participate to the contest! :thumbup:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

That build is very nice, and the features quite advanced for 1980's parts (I like the clutch on the crane, not to mention the whole crane mechanism). Very retro and yes, very 7777

On 10/17/2019 at 9:21 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I really like your retrò style ...this crane could really pop up from a lego idea book! :wub:

If you build it in real lego with an electric motor you can participate to the contest! :thumbup:

On 10/19/2019 at 8:16 AM, zephyr1934 said:

That build is very nice, and the features quite advanced for 1980's parts (I like the clutch on the crane, not to mention the whole crane mechanism). Very retro and yes, very 7777

On 10/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Nice design, it would look right at home in 7777!

Thank you all!!!

As always happens - drawing a mechanism and making it work are two worlds apart...the crane turning gears worked perfectly, but the winch was a complete pain (the cable had too much friction and the hook was only going up).

So, I began building the locomotive and adding things on the fly. The final result is a similar locomotive, but with a completely different crane.

Here it is in a semi-Train / semi Technic setting: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

20191020_174452_HDR

20191020_174138_HDR

20191020_174658_HDR

20191020_174544_HDR

20191020_174531_HDR

Sorry for the missing trees, minifigs and other decorative stuff - I did not have time to retrieve them :blush:

I hope you like it!

Ciao, Davide