HereWeGoAgain

Birth of a new Lego city [UPDATE #24 Overpass completed! ]

12 minutes ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

You could also try to adapt something like this to follow along the curved track (not mine, just search "lego curved wall" on google), you can bend it to any shape you want:

maxresdefault.jpg

That is an great idea. I will not be able to make a smooth road this way (as I was trying to cover its surface with tiles, and that was the struggle) but the studs have some appeal. Like an old road.

Regarding monorails or custom tracks I will try to avoid them, my costs are already high ?.

53 minutes ago, Chiaroscuro said:

That is an great idea. I will not be able to make a smooth road this way (as I was trying to cover its surface with tiles, and that was the struggle) but the studs have some appeal. Like an old road.

Regarding monorails or custom tracks I will try to avoid them, my costs are already high ?.

You could probably tile the top ends with curved 1x1 tiles to make it as smooth as possible? 

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

Hello Brick fans,

Not much has happened in the city and this is no major update.

I felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount of things I need to do to get this to look the way I want and didn't know where to continue as I'm still waiting for wedges (from bricklink) and 1x3 slopes (cheaper there but on backorder at pick-a-brick because of covid) to continue my cliffs. While I'm working from home, time for myself is a rare commodity atm and I'm always running out of the parts I need :laugh:

So I figured, let's work on the small things that will make this city look a bit more alive. As you may recall, I did my own modular building with 2 appartements that were going to overlook the ocean, but I didn't like how it ended up looking and replaced it with the Diner which fits just right in there. I also removed the parking lot I was going to place there as it no longer fits and replaced it with a 16x32 baseplate. It took me a week to figure out something that looks good to me to put on there. I will tile the entire thing to hide the dark blueish grey from the baseplate but again, waiting for parts...

It'll look a lot better once the cliffs hide what's underneath the table too!

What we have is a little public place with a news paper stand where you can buy magazines and stuff, drinks and ice-creams. There's some benches to sit and one of those large binoculars to look around. I have some more cool stuff planned in this area (ordered a few custom printed things from eclipsebricks for those who know them...priceeey, but sometimes you need a few custom parts). I'll also have to adjust my train station to remove the parking spots I had underneath and adjust where the stairs to access the platform are placed.

For the palm trees, while I have some of the brown trunks you can snap together from my childhood collection, these a quite pricey and hard to find on BL. So I came up with another technique: a lego hose on which you pile 1x1 round bricks in different shades of brown. This allows for some curving of the trunk and I think looks pretty realistic. The only costly thing for palm trees now are the leaves.

IMG-20200430-232605.jpg

IMG-20200430-232545.jpg

Instead of making a removable roof, I made the back of the news stand open on a hinge plate. This extends the space inside by 1 stud, allows access to place minifigs and stuff and fits exactly over the wall on the side of the diner:

IMG-20200430-232640.jpg

The Joker likes popsicles, getting ready to chill in the soon to be available beach and ocean:

IMG-20200430-232652.jpg

IMG-20200430-232657.jpg

'Til next time,

Cheers

Lovely city and cute ideas! Have no idea how I missed this before! Keep on building :) 

Thanks guys!

I have started to work on the cliff on the other side next to the other bridge pilar (first pic on IG).

@adwind I've seen you lifeguard shack many times while researching lego beaches, I love it!

23 minutes ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

Thanks guys!

I have started to work on the cliff on the other side next to the other bridge pilar (first pic on IG).

@adwind I've seen you lifeguard shack many times while researching lego beaches, I love it!

thank you buddy! I'll be following your updates and... who knows maybe someday I'll see Lifeguard's Shack in there :)

33 minutes ago, adwind said:

thank you buddy! I'll be following your updates and... who knows maybe someday I'll see Lifeguard's Shack in there :)

Well my beach will need one so I may take some inspiration if that's alright with you :-) 

Just now, HereWeGoAgain said:

Well my beach will need one so I may take some inspiration if that's alright with you :-) 

Absolutely! :)

Hello Brick fans,

Wow! Finally, after 2 weeks I have something to share lol. It's been a rough couple weeks to find time to build. I spent more time on rearranging my Lego/office room (shared some pics on IG) than actually finishing this second cliff. I was half-way through until inspiration ran out and I was missing some slopes I ordered from S@H which delayed my order until june (though I received and e-mail it got shipped 2 days ago). I had also so many bricks to still sort from stuff I bought, I figured I won't be able to build and create when everything is a mess. 

Anyway.

It's not a mirror to the other cliff. First pic has a filter on it and was cropped on IG, but I like how it turns out. Oh yeah and don't mind the mess behind the bridge, left overs from my rearranging the other day :pir-tongue:

We still have our dead pirate and his treasure down there, wonder if anyone will eventually find him...

IMG-20200515-185807-397.jpg

IMG-20200515-184925.jpg

IMG-20200515-184931.jpg

I tried to make it look as if a large piece of cliff fell, this isn't just posed on there but is attached with a ball-joint hinge to the cliff I hid as best I can. I just noticed the slope on the right all the way up isn't probably seated, probably happened when I slid the baseplate on.

IMG-20200515-184944.jpg

IMG-20200515-184948.jpg

What's next? Well I need to change the stairs on the train station as minifigs can't access it anymore. This will also give me the opportunity to tile down my little place/parc with the newspaper stand. I have some stuff coming in from the USA that I plan to use there so I might just wait until it arrives...hehe.

'Til next time!

9 hours ago, DodgeDude5498 said:

Man you're good at rock work XD Excellent work!

Thanks dude!

I'm really trying to go for the realistic look when it comes to natural structure. I learn as I go. Instead of using ball joints to create the extrusion on the edge with the plateau, this time I used hinge plates, was a bit more of a pain actually. I enjoy doing rock work but it gets tedious at time I have to be honest lol.

Going to have to figure out beach access from the top next. Got a few ideas in my head but will have to use LDD to try it out first.

Hello Brickfans,

Small update.

In between all the sorting I keep doing (and somewhat enjoying), I had a sort of "epiphany". This is probably nothing new in itself, but I figured I'd try building my cliffs a different way: create a plate of plates with the required height and then building rock work on top of it. You can then add depth by adding other plates on top in certain spots.

Well, after I created an other ocean plate with the start of the beach for the minifigs, I decided to try this out as shown in the picture below. It's not complete just yet, but it makes building the cliffs a bit faster, lighter and sturdier. This vertical plate is attached with a bunch of 2x4 brackets to the base beneath.

Yes, I know, you can see some of the wood of the table above, probably because getting the damn Olov feet from Ikea to be all at the exact same height is actually quite challenging. Either the lower or the upper table isn't 100% flat. Nothing that can't be fixed :)

Oh and I also figured out the stairs for the minifigs to reach the beach. It's just a mock up as I need some parts for it, but it's pretty close to what I had in mind.

Let me know what you think!

IMG-20200524-153529.jpg

IMG-20200524-153548.jpg

IMG-20200524-153540.jpg

The stairs:

IMG-20200520-135004-474.jpg

'Til next time.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, DodgeDude5498 said:

Very nice! I like what you've done with he stairs so far, keep the updates coming!

Thanks dude!

Here's the complete cliff I posted on IG the other day. Next step will be doing the same stuff around the stairs and properly set the height of the middle table. You can see it isn't 100% flush with the table above where you see the wood so I'll have to fix that by checking the height of the Ikea Olov table feet. Oh and there is one or 2 spots where the rainbow bricks from the cliff under the bridge show through I'll have to fix as well. Pretty happy with how this rock work idea turned out, building a plate wall and building on top of it.

IMG-20200525-152657.jpg

I also recently got some 90s Lego nostalgia galore in an auction :pir-love: . Question is, do I convert my train tracks to 9v or do I convert the metroliner to powerfunctions...hmmm...:dwacko:

IMG-20200527-191416.jpg

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

My (non-train) Lego wife converted my Metroliner for me ... then I did a bit of optimizing to make it less noticeable.  The PF train motor replaced the 9V one and the PF battery box went behind the engineer's seat. The rearmost windows came out, so as to put the IR receiver near the top rear of the locomotive (I never understood putting a partial dining car into the loco anyway). Just my two cents!

Interesting thanks for the input!

I got a bunch of 9v tracks with that auction too, so maybe I'll use them instead of the normal ones we get nowadays. There's just a portion of my layout where I can't use a complete straight track and had to resort to using 2 or 3 flex tracks, can't remember how much. It's right before the tunnel entry. 

I'll have to check if I can fit a normal straight track in there and still have everything the way I need it to be. No point in changing everything only to find out it doesn't work :-p

I followed your city's updates since the beginning, and I must say I like it very much!

Your Moc is very inspiring and the pattern you created under the sea tiles is gorgeous!

The bridge is also very nice, I like in particular the deck and the design of the parapet with the studs on the side.

Keep up the good work!

13 hours ago, Brixtof said:

I followed your city's updates since the beginning, and I must say I like it very much!

Your Moc is very inspiring and the pattern you created under the sea tiles is gorgeous!

The bridge is also very nice, I like in particular the deck and the design of the parapet with the studs on the side.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words man!

The bridge is an adapted version from the spider-man bridge attack, I believe they did the parapet this way in the set and I really liked how it looked.

No idea how long it'll be until the next update. I've started tackling the rocks and beach around the stairs I built but it's going to take a while as there's a ton of angles to go around and do properly :-p

Hello Brickfans,

A little update as I've had an entire afternoon to myself to build Lego. While boxes of new sets keep pilling up (seriously, I need to stop) I took the opportunity to do some work on the stairs and start the rock work around it. Pretty happy with how it looks so far. Sadly have only one 1x4 sand green tile so had to use 1x2 ones. Might get around ordering some but I recall them being on the pricey side.

Not much else to add this time :laugh:

IMG-20200603-165513.jpg

IMG-20200603-165518.jpg

IMG-20200603-165535.jpg

IMG-20200603-165703.jpg

'Til next time

34 minutes ago, Salix said:

Nice! They remind me of the Old Fishing Store.

Yeah since the old fishing store will be on the beach too I figured using the same color scheme would fit nicely!