HereWeGoAgain

Birth of a new Lego city [UPDATE #24 Overpass completed! ]

41 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

I like how your ground isn't perfectly flat, even if it only varies by a plate or two.

Yes, creating textures, even by just adding plates, adds a lot to any Lego layout. 

I've spent the last few days moc'ing out the sand/water/rock formations I'm planning to add around the base structures of the bridge (water depth is more challenging that it looks). I've had to place a relatively massive order of 1x4 trans light blue plates today (512 of them) for the water as I don't want it to be open-stud. I initially wanted to go for 1x2 plates, but there are no sellers on Bricklink, in Switzerland, with 1000+ pieces. I could order outside of CH, but since we're not part of the EU, the import fees + VAT I'd have to pay make no sense. I could only find one seller with a large amount of 1x4 plates in my country, so I'm going with that. The next update will probably be pictures of the progress I make on this, might take a bit of time as I wait for parts to arrive and I only have about an hour a day to work on my city :).

In the meantime I hope I can set up the last table next week-end, then I can move modulars over, fix the tunnel for the other trains as mentionned before, and do some re-arranging of the current buildings.

In any case, thanks for leaving a comment!

Hello brick fans,

Nothing major in this update, doing things as they come.

I was able to put up the last table over the weekend. Only one hickup is the second large table is like 2 studs too long so I will have to cut it next weekend, otherwise the bridge doesn't fit in the gap. I don't know if it's me that measured wrong, but possible.

IMG-20200309-224506.jpg

But what's all those buildings and stuff on this new table? Well while I wait for my bricklink order to arrive to build the ocean/water area, I tore the first part of the city down to access my mountain/tunnel as I needed to make some changes for passenger trains with their longer nose that kept hitting the entrance pillars. So I ended up having to move the entrance on one end 14 studs from it's original location:

IMG-20200309-224515.jpg

IMG-20200309-224525.jpg

This meant I have to do some landscape changes, here's what I moced up yesterday. I will have to rework the river bed with some rock work. Up top we'll have a little camping/pic-nic area (unless you guys have other ideas?). I will probably be moving the tunnel entrance on the other side the same way and create the same arches.

IMG-20200309-230843.jpg

And...there's some changes to make to the structure underneath as well as this particular train is hitting one of the pillars as well:

IMG-20200309-231033.jpg

Hello brick fans,

I hope everyone is doing ok with the covid-19 running around. Me I'll be working from home at least next week, schools are closed for a month.

I've had a bit of time to work on the city. First, the mountain and tunnel have been reworked to allow for trains with longer noses (hate em or like em) to pass through without hitting anything. I've added like a little camping ground on top and a place that overlooks the city for figs to take pictures.

IMG-20200314-111315.jpg

IMG-20200314-111319.jpg

Today I also cut the second table by about 2 studs, the bridge now fits properly. Still have to adjust the ikea adjustable table feet a liiiittle bit for everything to be straight. Also started mocking up the sand/ocean around the first pilar, as well as all the rock work that will be on all 3 sides of this middle table. I've done more work on LDD than in reality for this atm, but I've received one of my bricklink orders with a ton of 1x4 trans blue tile so I'll be able to attack this part of the city very soon.

IMG-20200314-111234.jpg

IMG-20200314-111257.jpg

Finally, finding a 24 stud wide structure to fit in the row of building has been a bit of a headache (reason being the mountain/tunnel is built on a 32x32 + some 8x16 baseplates). I finally found one that is exactly of that width, the creator 3 in 1 31097. I've just finished building it and it fits very well in this spot between the PC and the BB. Even better so as it has a built in ATM that is right next to the BB in this case.

I have dismissed the 8x16 plates of the set in favour of 2x 8x16 and 1x 16x32 base plates for everything to be level. Also I have replaced the large transluscent bricks from the actual build on the second floor of the flat for maconery bricks (didn't make much sense to have a glass wall against the BB). I have also not built the red light that comes with the set as we are not at a junction on the road.

I will most likely extend the set with an actual back so that it isn't open and tile the floor on the front for continuity with the 2 modulars on each side, but that will be a project for another time.

IMG-20200314-150432.jpg

IMG-20200314-150438.jpg

That's it for now, 'til next time.

Hello brick fans,

I have had a bit of time to complete the ocean part around the first bridge pilar and started doing the rock work that will go up all the way to the higher tables. Quite satisfied with the result of the water depth although it does require a ton of plates. In total I have 6 32x32 base plates to fill like this. If you were to cover one 32x32 with 1x4 trans blue tiles, that's 256 per baseplate...

If anyone has a good proposition to name my city, I'm all ears! I feel like bricktown, studsville etc. are very common and all already in use...

IMG-20200317-224921.jpg

IMG-20200317-224934.jpg

Looks like this pirate hid his treasure here...he didn't make it though...

IMG-20200317-224926.jpg

IMG-20200317-224951.jpg

'TIl next time,

Cheers

Hello brick fans,

Small update, I had a bit of time to complete the second ocean base plate. Added the 3 in 1 creator boat to give a bit of life to the display :). I'm starting to get short on certain plates I need for the depth effect. Most likely will start mocing the sand/ocean for the second pilar using LDD.

IMG-20200322-135028.jpg

IMG-20200322-135022.jpg

IMG-20200322-135034.jpg

Cheers

Thanks for the comments guys!

Doing a lot of sorting from some bulk Lego I bought a while ago at the moment. It's fun just as much as it is annoying :-p.

Not sure when I'll have some time to do LDD on the second pilar (I don't want it to be just a mirror of the 1st one regarding the beach/ocean).

Cheers

17 hours ago, georgeaxe2000 said:

great work and hail to the adjustable adils table feet :thumbup:

Thanks!

Yeah, it's the OLOV though, not the adils. Adils aren't adjustable. Olov's are not bad for the price (20CHF a foot), couldn't find a cheaper alternative. You can adjust them from 60 to 90cm. A bit of a pain to adjust though if I'm honest, it's not super precise so you have to fiddle with them to get them all at the same height.

7 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Great work, specially on the sea! (mind if I copy it?)

Feel free, I wouldn't share progress otherwise :laugh: and not like I hold any rights to this technique. 

Can share some LDD files if some have interest. 

17 hours ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

Feel free, I wouldn't share progress otherwise :laugh: and not like I hold any rights to this technique. 

Can share some LDD files if some have interest. 

Hi again, your pillars and bridge looks really great (wouldn’t mind if you share your files if um you are ok with that) but I was really impressed with your ocean and coast patchwork of tiles and plates. I was working on something similar and looked for inspiration online, but yours is the most great looking one. My only doubt is if I would use the dark blue plates as the base of the deep ocean, it looks a little to dark too soon. The other colors you used are blue and medium blue ( or is it medium azure), right? There aren’t too many options to make the dark, deep part of the ocean really.

Again, keep the great job and us informed! 

Edited by Chiaroscuro

3 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Hi again, your pillars and bridge looks really great (wouldn’t mind if you share your files if um you are ok with that) but I was really impressed with your ocean and coast patchwork of tiles and plates. I was working on something similar and looked for inspiration online, but yours is the most great looking one. My only doubt is if I would use the dark blue plates as the base of the deep ocean, it looks a little to dark too soon. The other colors you used are blue and medium blue ( or is it medium azure), right? There aren’t too many options to make the dark, deep part of the ocean really.

Again, keep the great job and us informed! 

No problem, I'll upload them up when I have a bit of time. 

The beach ocean transition goes:

Tan > dark tan > white > tan > medium azure > medium blue > regular blue > dark (or earth) blue mixed with a few patches of dark (or earth) green > black (in the center on the middle plate. Ideally you'd want to maybe transition from medium azure to dark azure instead of medium blue I guess to have the smoothest transition possible, I just didn't have any and experimented with medium blue. 

Thanks for your comments, happy that what I come up with things liked by others :-) 

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

8 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Hi again, your pillars and bridge looks really great (wouldn’t mind if you share your files if um you are ok with that)

Here's the complete bridge in LDF. I changed a few things once I built it physically like I initially planed on using 3660 inverted 4x4 45° inverted roof tiles in dark blueish grey under the bridge, but I needed quite a lot and couldn't find a seller on bricklink in Switzerland that had enough. And since I wanted to avoid shipping + taxes ordering from outside of CH, I ended up using plates. But this is the basic design for it.

https://gofile.io/?c=QZMCqS

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

10 hours ago, Chilis said:

Very nice setup! I really love the bridge!! :wub_drool: Please continue :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for commenting! ;-)

Anyway, here's a small update I've been meaning to post for a few days. I'm pretty busy with the kids and work at the moment so I'm taking babysteps. I'm currently building the modular Diner which I'll probably place next to the pet shop and get rid of my unfinished condo/building. It'll also get rid of the 32x32 green baseplate where I planned to have a parking so I'll do something else on a 16x32. We'll see. Will probably have to adapt my train station too.

I have more or less completed the beach/ocean work under the second pilar. I'll have to add plenty of details with plants and what not, but the basis is done. I'll also need to figure out the rockwork. To spare parts I'll probably go the BURP way, but I don't have enough. I pick them up when they show up for cheap over here. I could go full custom like this guy on Youtube (search "TIMELAPSE: LEGO Star Wars MOC Temple Cliff on Bogano: Jedi Fallen Order lego moc Speed build", don't want to add a youtube link). I find his rock work absolutely amazing, but very parts intensive.

Anyway, time for some pictures! I made the beach a bit bigger at the edge.

IMG-20200328-230214.jpg

IMG-20200328-230444.jpg

IMG-20200328-230225.jpg

IMG-20200328-230458.jpg

IMG-20200328-230524.jpg

IMG-20200328-230545.jpg

'Til next time brickfans, stay safe.

Hello brick fans,

I've been posting a few things over on Instagram (started using it after @Chilis convinced me to do so ;-)) . Link in my signature below. Things I've been working on: finished the old fishing store to place on the beach, started building a water pumping station to make fresh water available to my minifigs in the city as well as started the structural work at the back of my middle table to bridge the gap between the two main tables.

Still waiting for parts to continue the ocean/beach work. 

I'll post some pictures in here within the next 2 days. 

Til next time! 

8 minutes ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

Hello brick fans,

I've been posting a few things over on Instagram (started using it after @Chilis convinced me to do so ;-)) . Link in my signature below. Things I've been working on: finished the old fishing store to place on the beach, started building a water pumping station to make fresh water available to my minifigs in the city as well as started the structural work at the back of my middle table to bridge the gap between the two main tables.

Still waiting for parts to continue the ocean/beach work. 

I'll post some pictures in here within the next 2 days. 

Til next time! 

Hi. Glad you have time to update your city.

Your signature isn’t showing in your post. Which is your instagram account? I still need to make a Lego specific Instagram account for me, but I will follow you in my main account.

Crap I thought I updated my SIG the other day. Will do it on the computer later. 

In the mean time:

https://www.instagram.com/h311m4ns?r=nametag