ks6349

How to keep the best condition of the Lego bricks?

Keep dusting? Avoid sunlight? Anything else?

I like to put the completed set in my room and do not disassemble them

But I can't avoid all small cockroaches in my room, even if I've used pesticide a lot

Edited by ks6349

You could hide it in the dark in a  hermetically sealed box and still have the whites go brown

or you could put it on display and enjoy it. Take it off the shelf and play with it once in a while and put it back on the shelf the opposite way round.

Bricks will fade or discolour a bit with age, but aside from that you pretty much can't kill them. Only rubber parts will perish and might benefit from some care. Stickers are very hit and miss about lasting well, whether you take care of them or not.

Pesticides are more likely to damage the bricks than cockroaches.

You want to avoid heat if you can as well as sunlight.

Don’t know about cockroaches, but where I have had my display collection for some years there are quite a few spiders. They haven’t done my LEGO any harm.

More generally, I have had some minifigures and builds assembled since I became an AFOL over 25 years ago and they’re all in perfect condition. I expect they’ll still be that way when I’m a DFOL and thereafter for many years.

Edited by AmperZand

One of the problem with roaches is they can leave droppings in your LEGO® pieces nooks and crannies.  Roach excrement has a distinctive smell to it. 

I keep all the Lego in my spare room, most are display on shelf, some are covered. Room is always cool and dark with LED light if i goes in the room.

Daniel.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:49 AM, dr_spock said:

One of the problem with roaches is they can leave droppings in your LEGO® pieces nooks and crannies.  Roach excrement has a distinctive smell to it. 

yeah you've got my point, I am not worried about roaches but their excrement....

it could be a serious problem

Don't leave food or crumbs lying around in the bedroom or the kitchen. Keep the floors clean, without piles of clothes they can hide under.

Do ultrasonic devices deter roaches? I know they can work on other insects.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:02 AM, ks6349 said:

I like to put the completed set in my room and do not disassemble them

This.

That is the best way to enjoy your sets - every day, whenever you want.

If I were you I'd just let them age, as time and conditions go by. I do the same thing. There is ample of sunlight during summer in "my" attic, there is a sh*tload of dust accumulating during summer as I open the roof windows when it goes above 22 deg C - and since global warming is kicking butt, it does so at ever-increasing rate. As far as I am concerned, it gives a touch to the bricks. Nothing in this world other than overpriced cars in corresponding joints look like brand new, shiny, never touched LEGO bricks.

All the best,
Thorsten 

9 hours ago, Toastie said:

This.

That is the best way to enjoy your sets - every day, whenever you want.

If I were you I'd just let them age, as time and conditions go by. I do the same thing. There is ample of sunlight during summer in "my" attic, there is a sh*tload of dust accumulating during summer as I open the roof windows when it goes above 22 deg C - and since global warming is kicking butt, it does so at ever-increasing rate. As far as I am concerned, it gives a touch to the bricks. Nothing in this world other than overpriced cars in corresponding joints look like brand new, shiny, never touched LEGO bricks.

All the best,
Thorsten 

Yes, nothing in the world could be kept like brand new. However, I never intend to keep the Lego brand new, I only wish to try my best to keep it in its best condition especially yellowing of white bricks which is something I believe it can be avoided and I really hate beautiful white bricks being colored. I like white bricks very very much