SquirrelArmy

MOC: Glastonbury Pyramid Stage

Preparations are underway for the 50th anniversary of Glastonbury Festival next year, after getting tickets I was inspired to design my very own Pyramid Stage.

It's an iconic festival, probably in the top 3 most famous festivals globally and this stage has hosted pretty much every legendary act over the last 50 years.

I started designing this just for my own collection but I've been thinking if I should try and develop the set further and get it on Lego Ideas. It's currently just at the digital stage but I have the second batch of elements on the way so I will be able to start building it for real soon. 

I originally thought about making it minifig scale. I soon realised that a set in that scale would be colossal so I've gone for much smaller scale, I've used microfigs for the band but the stage is still scaled down even further than that as I wanted to keep the element count as low as possible. It's currently at 500 pieces. I will design some stickers to place on the screens to either side of the stage and another set for the stage backdrop.

The big unknown is how popular such a set would be, it's a UK festival but it is well known around the world. 2.4 million people were registered for tickets this year. The question is how many of those 2.4 million are also interested in Lego and would they buy a set. I've already checked for licensing issues and it's not on the banned list. Certain bands are but by using a generic Lego band instead of a particular act it should avoid any issues there.

The design will probably change once I start building it for real. I won't know how stable it is until it's actually built. I've only used elements currently in production or are widely available as well.

ygMh5y3.png

Hmmm. Good work. If nothing else, it prompted me to go away and read up on the history of the Pyramid Stage construction. It might be a hard sell as a Lego set, though, without an anchoring tenant like Radiohead minifigures for example.

1 hour ago, Retro said:

Hmmm. Good work. If nothing else, it prompted me to go away and read up on the history of the Pyramid Stage construction. It might be a hard sell as a Lego set, though, without an anchoring tenant like Radiohead minifigures for example.

The amount of interest in the set is the main issue. I don’t know how much of a crossover there is between Lego and Glastonbury fans. 

Is the set interesting enough to build for non Glasto fans. Would people want a small stage in their displays?

Should I try and increase the size to around 1000 elements and actually have the stage big enough to place full sized minifigs? 

Actually having a specific band on the stage would do two things. It can certainly raise the profile of the set but it can also raise the costs due to further licensing. 

33 minutes ago, SquirrelArmy said:

Is the set interesting enough to build for non Glasto fans. Would people want a small stage in their displays?

I would guess not, but that's just my opinion. The 2.4 million people is a red herring. There are 8.1 million people in London but most of them don't want to buy a Lego set of London. Tesco has millions of customers but not many of them want to buy a Lego model of a Tesco shop. People buy Lego because of an emotional attachment to something. And (some) people go home dreaming of Radiohead or The Rolling Stones or whatever, but not of an empty black stage. I would put 4 famous minifigures in it. It doesn't have to be to scale. The system scale Millennium Falcon is not to scale etc. etc .