SNIPE

How to have a list of re-usable submodels in LDCAD?

Hi,

Is there a way I can have a list of submodels in LDCAD but unlike using the 'change current session' option.

The reason is because the 'change current session' option requires you to minimize your main file, make a new submodel in LDCAD, save it as .ldr and then drag and drop it into the main file.

Then it will show up in the 'change current session' but then you cant really just drag it in the main file repeatedly.

I could create a template by choosing file > new > part/spring path but then every time I choose one of my templatees from the parts bin I will get the messagebox asking me "how do you want to use this template".

Is there a way to:

have submodels in the parts bin?

and not as un-editable .dat files?

but also easily add a new submodel to the parts bin from a temporary build in main?

Edited by SNIPE

@SNIPENot completely sure this is what you want, but you can get a part bin populated with all submodels of current model this way: move to top level parts bin, then model "(content) overview/information groups" (icon with "MPD" text) then "content of current session file" (house icon with "MPD" text). Using this bin is the proper way to add existing submodels to your model.

See first section of http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit

2 hours ago, Philo said:

@SNIPENot completely sure this is what you want, but...

Hi,

This is sort of what I want but how do I make a new submodel easily from a pre-existing parts  selection?

27 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

This is sort of what I want but how do I make a new submodel easily from a pre-existing parts  selection?

Right click on selection -> reorganize -> move to subfile -> accept default options.

Is there a way to edit one of the submodels without ldcad changing them all?

I don't understand... LDCad doesn't change anything if not instructed to do so?!

I believe @SNIPE meant to make a change in the submodel at some place in the instruction without having it changed elsewhere when it used more than once?

But this is sort of contradicting the idea of using submodels, isn't it?

Well, maybe not.

Have a nice day!

Thorsten 

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

I believe @SNIPE meant to make a change in the submodel at some place in the instruction without having it changed elsewhere when it used more than once? 

But this is sort of contradicting the idea of using submodels, isn't it?

Indeed, there is (AFAIK!) no solution for that. If you have similar submodels differing only by a few parts, you must create different submodels. You can duplicate submodels this way: Session -> Duplicate this subfile. Then you can change the section which is different. Another useful use of submodel duplication is to create mirrored submodel. After duplication, Session -> Mirror this subfile.

I actually would need to do both depending on the submodel but yes you're right.

I'll try  that @Philo.

Edited by SNIPE